“Is That Britney and Paris?” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in West Palm Beach
New York City, New York
“Is That Britney and Paris?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2007

My recent visit to West Palm Beach (mistake number one) reminded me that even a pop star can fall by the wayside and require a place to rejuvenate, dry out, and become re-born. The Marriot West Palm Beach (Mistake number two) can best be described as the love child of a prison and a rehab facility with less than acceptable maintenance standards and very sub par food. One of those “off the side of the road” things, there is nothing interesting and pleasant about your stay here. From the sterile and uninteresting decore (complete with the top of the line popcorn ceilings) to the constant scent of sanitizing fragrance, you will immediately head to the door (as I did) and run home. I especially enjoyed the warnings on the walls that I should not hand my clothes on the sprinkler in the room...it was strange.

I think Marriots do a good job, but this one is by far the worst one I have stayed at. The lobby reminded me of a rehab hospital that was just missing big men in white coats and the occasional glimps of a Britney, Paris or even a Liza walking in a robe and wearing fuzzy slippers. Business needs are barely met, with a slower than you could imagine internet access and no fax or copy machine in site. Mind you the staff was wonderful and will bend over backwards to help you, but it all just seemed too much and way too many inconveniences for business people.

After arriving at 8pm and checking in, I headed down to the Bistro – a bar and restaurant all in one. Immediately I was in shock and awe. There was live music, a one man show complete with synthesized music and Frank Sinatra songs being sung by a young man who also accomplished 80's disco tunes. There was a table of about 15 woman from an ALL WOMANS baseball team – loud and obnoxious, to their right was a table of about 20 Marines – young men who ordered beers and rum and cokes and could not have been more gracious and gentleman-like. To their right was a table of about ten seniors who seemed frozen in time, spoons in their mouths, just waiting for someone to drop another nickel in their slot so they can be activated another ten seconds. It was sort of like a scene from the HBO series OZ with all the factions in the prison vying for power. (although I think the poor Marines were certainly conquered by the all woman’s baseball team members). The food was simply horrible – truly nothing fresh here. I ordered a Cobb salad my entire stay as I can do without the salt and sugar coatings that are normal offerings. (Although I do have to say that in Florida in general, finding good food even in Palm Beach or South Beach is nearly impossible - if your from the heratland you will love the food).
The room was filthy, with toilet gunk under the toilet seat from the last 27899 people that stayed in the room and the towels smelled like they were washed in water minus the detergent. The carpeting has seen better days, and the extra touch of an empty refrigerator and coffee maker in the room underscored the term trailer park trash. I imagined how I would wake up after an uncompfortable sleep, go to that bathrrom sink that 29766 people spit in, fill up my coffee pot and make coffee...I would feel like I was camping in New Dehli. The windows are filthy and needed a good washing. The hotel smells like a public bathrrom at an airport using way too much sanitizer. The patrons (apart from the Marines) are scarey.

The center courtyard does offer a fitness center and a very small pool that closes late at night. On my visit I spotted a group of men sitting at a table by the pool – all looking as of they had their motor cycles parked in the lot and just waiting for their chicks to come down from the room and do a strip dance on the table. They all wore sunglases at 10pm and just watched people move around, puffing on ciggerettes. It was all very scarey.

I had to make an escape. I tried to think about possibly riding on the top of a garbage truck in the morning or trying bribe one of those attendants with a $5 bill. Then I thought I should just check out and find a real hotel. I did. The very next morning after my horrible attempt at breakfast (Oatmeal was the only thing that was acceptable) which failed miserably, I left.

I would recommend This Hotel For:

Criminals on the run, members of motor cycle gangs, any and all gypsys, thieves and ladies of the evening, young adults in their 20’s, anyone who was captured by Dog the Bounty Hunter.

• Liked — The area
  • Disliked — The maintenance
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
daytona beach,fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott Hotel in West Palm Beach last week for two nights. It was the cleanest, friendliest hotel we have ever been stayed at. The lobby was very nice, with a table set up with cold bottles of water and and a selection of either pastries or cookies at all times.

Our bathroom light burned out the second evening, and when I called them, they came and fixed it within 5 minutes.!! Also, the town is so nice. We went on Thursday nite to Clematis by Night. They set up food booths and live entertainment. Very nice. We will come back soon.

Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

We stayed here for one night this past weekend as we were attending the Fab Four concert at the Kravis Centre in WPB and did not want the long drive home to Miami afterwards.

Check in staff were delightful, very helpful etc. Room was nice but some issues. We were put on the Concierge level - room 911 - easy to remember. (we used Marriott Rewards) and they gave us welcome cookies and milk which was a nice touch, but the milk must have been there for hours as it was warm and sitting in a bucket of warm water, the ice had melted ages ago. If you are going to do something nice for a guest, do it right I say! So we threw the milk out and my husband ate the cookies which were good. The beds were very nice and soft, excellent bedding and tons of soft downy pillows. I had requested a frig in the room which was offered to me a few days before the visit by the Electronic Concierge via email and even though I asked for it, it was not there. Did not bother complaining as we had our own cooler and just got more ice for it. It was too hot to argue!

One negative, the room had a large mold spot in the corner by the window which was nasty. Good job neither my husband nor I suffer from mold allergies but it could have set someone else off who did suffer.

Bathroom nice; excellent toiletries from Bath and Body Works aromatherapy range. Hairdryer, ironing board and iron in cupboard. Room nice and cold and a/c worked great. Coffee maker also in room. Nice view of City Place (shopping mall) and we could even just see the ocean from our room.

The hotel had cold iced water in reception (nice touch) but on Sat. night they had karaoke blasting from the lounge at midnight and it was bad! Couldn't wait to get up to our rooms to escape the caterwauling! Did not have time to visit the pool and spa so can't comment on those.

Overall it's a nice clean hotel - but it wasn't quite a perfect overnight stay.

• Liked — Lovely beds!
  • Disliked — Large Mold spot in corner of room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

I stayed here for a week for a family event. The lobby had a musty smell on the first day but that was corrected. The first room I had was on the second floor - in the 220's. As soon as I opened the door there was a very loud HUM from the AC units, I mean unbearable loud. My next room was 309 where there was a disturbing brown smear on the toilet near the handle and one of the pictures had been removed from the wall leaving two holes. My final room was acceptable. Quiet and clean. The bed was very comfortable, the Kohler showerhead was great. The hairdryer and iron in the room appeared new and worked very well. Also, the in-room coffee service was convenient and above average (real cream!). However, the maid forgot to replenish the coffee one day... Some other people in our party had some room problems - no hot water, damp carpet etc. However, the staff was very responsive and polite. I did have two maids arguing loudly about "Selma" one morning outside my room that woke me up. Another thing there is no complimentary breakfast unless you have access to the concierge level. A plus is the fitness center, much above your average hotel. 3 treadmills, 3 steppers, 3 bikes, plus weights, towels, bathroom, water, TV. All in all I don't think I would stay here again because of all the room issues. The hotel could improve in this area.

• Liked — Bed and shower
  • Disliked — some rooms iffy.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

I recently spent a total of three nights at this hotel! It is located about 2 blocks from the Amtrak/Tri-Rail station, 2-3 miles from PBI airport and 2-3 blocks from CityPlace.

Not realizing that the hotel shuttle would have picked me up at the Tri-Rail, and not having the number, I took the PalmTran bus to the airport and caught the hotel shuttle. (It was TOO HOT to walk with luggage!) The shuttle arrived in about 10 minutes. They have a cooler full of nice ice-cold water to refresh you as well.

I was quickly checked into my 10th-floor, Concierge level room-a king. I had a view of a little lake across the street. The bathroom was not overly big but not small either. All in one room (sink.tub.toilet). The room had a little zig-zag to it! The bedroom was fairly large with a super-comfy king bed, a sofa (sofabed as well) and an armchair. The two-level desk was very large-nice size to work> The wired-for-business package is $12.95 but there is a business center on the 2nd floor with free internet. For the first time, my pre-requested fridge was actually in the room!

The TV was 25-27 inches with a good selection of channels, but they could use a few more! Plenty of space altogether. My only complaint is that the A/C vent was over the bed so the air blows on you all the time. The air itself was on the quiet side, but there was some odd banging of pipes on occasion. Oh well-not enough to make me complain.

The food and service in the Bistro/lounge was wonderful. Granted, my burger was a little cool and one night I didn't like my chicken dish. BUT, both problems were immediatley solved with no excuses made, and appropriate compensation provided. I even got personal, hand written notes from the servers. I believe this is just the way they do things here.

The hotel is, according to an article posted outside the restaurant, owned by the Marriott family trust and the associates are Marriott-Company employees. You can really tell the difference between Marriott people and franchisee people! Every single person was amazingly nice, always offering assistance, a friendly hello and the like. Amazing!

My room was clean when I arrived and I didn't need service-just a change of towels each day! The housekeepers had enough work to do! The hotel was very quiet-I heard virtually no outside noise (supposedly they have triple-paned windows) and minimal noise from adjacent rooms or the hall. Only on one evening were some people being a little noisy. I slept comfortably as well.

The hotel has a nice-lookikng pool with a little bar outside. Didn't use it, but it looked nice.

If you think this is a resort, think again! It is, however, an excellent choice if you are in the area, flying out of PBI (a great little airport-no crowds!) or if you just want to be in So. Fla close enough to drive about an hour and be in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. Honestly, I would stay here if I was cruising out of Port Everglades or Miami and either hop Tri-Rail to one of those airports, then a shuttle, or just get a car service. Believe me, it's worth it, and I am picky!

Check it out. I rarely give an :excellent" rating to ANY hotel. This one truly deserves it!

• Liked — Honestly, everything. If only all Marriotts were run like this one!
  • Disliked — A tiny bit of noise from the AC
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times while in Florida for business and I never had a complaint until this stay. My company, also located in West Palm, held it's Annual Enrollment Meeting and Sales Conference there this year and it has gone down hill. The hotel was overbooked, a result of booking several boys' baseball teams and several (3-4) other corporate events. Two of the three elevators were out of commission for an entire day which made getting to meetings from my room, challenging at best. The baseball teams made a ton of noise which made sleep and getting up in the a.m. refreshed, impossible. One night it really sounded like the kids were moving furniture around. The staff was very friendly, but the hotel is really starting to show it's wear. While the rooms have been renovated in the last couple of years, they have not held up well. The overall hotel is in need of some work. Used to be a great place to stay for business (corporate office down the street), but would not recommend if they continue to book conflicting interest groups.

• Liked — Location; Close to great restaurants and corporate
  • Disliked — Hotel booked conflicting interest groups
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

I just returned from a three day stay at the hotel and I really enjoyed it. The hotel staff was very friendly and willing to do what we asked. There was a problem with the shower the water never got cold even set on cold but other than that we had a lovely stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Marriott West Palm Beach? Share your experiences!