“No Lobster / our last visit to Morton's” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Morton's The Steakhouse - Palm Beach is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #93 of 561 Restaurants in West Palm Beach
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Lakeview & Chase
Boca Raton, Florida
“No Lobster / our last visit to Morton's”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Whenever I found time on my trips to the US I visited Morton's. The great part with Morton's was that you always could bet that it was a great food experience and I never was let down until yesterday in West Palm Beach. Yesterday, I had a dinner reservation for 8 guests. My family and friends are visiting the area and it was my son’s 13th birthday. Besides the good quality of beef we decided to go to Morton’s because of their Seafood and especially the Lobster they serve.
Arriving at Morton’s we have been offered a round table next to the kitchen door and the serving counter. We accepted this as we expected that the restaurant will be fully booked on a Friday evening. But besides about 5 other tables the restaurant stayed empty for the rest of the evening. So we were very disappointed to find out that they did not give us a better table.
After studying the menu the waiter told my father that we would make a fast decision on the Lobster as they are very limited. My father told him that we would like to have five Lobsters (Whole Baked Maine Lobsters). It didn’t take long until he came back and told us there are no lobsters at all, as they did not received a delivery today. After complaining to the waiter, Lisa Lewis the Manager came to the table and told me that they only had one lobster and it has already been sold (0800 p.m. and an empty place). She then mumbled something that she will check, but as we found out later, nothing has happened and no Lobster were available. Asking how that can happen on Friday evening she told us some excuses such as it is low season in WPB. For me that was absolutely unacceptable, that they cannot serve one of their main dishes on Friday evening. One or two years ago Morton has proudly presented the lobster on the table and now they can’t serve one!
In general the food was ok: my Fillet Mignon was a bit dry and the Chicken Christopher from my son was hard – so nothing special for a total bill of USD 961.29 after Lisa has deducted all the desserts from our bill – that was nice.
However, based on that experience this will be my last visit to Morton. It seems the place has lost his spirit and quality and there are many better places living up to the quality and value I expect!

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Florida
“Awful Corporate Change of Beef Supplier”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I begin this review as a 15+ year loyal customer of Morton's. I easily dined 20+ times a year in various locations and held company events too.

Sadly, Landry's the corporate owner apparently does not think Morton's customers deserves the best beef. The longtime supplier, which I recall was Allen Bros in Chicago (who offer great beef) has been switched. I have dined several times in West Palm and other locations this year. My guests and I all agree the beef is not the quality it was.

This is shameful and sad. We will watch the gradual decline of a once great steakhouse. At $50 a steak I think Morton's can buy the best so why try to stretch profits by making an extra few dollars per steak while delivering a sub par product. Add to it the new large and confusing menu that serves only to slow down the kitchen (which is designed for a steakhouse) and leads to poor service, cold dishes etc...

They have lost my business and honestly for this quality beef the price is simply not worth it and a waste of your time/money. Very sad indeed.

I attach a photo/menu from a time when Morton's made sense and was truly the best.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Wellington, Florida
“Hit or miss....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Went for the first time and my experience was mediocre to say the least. They have three different prixe fixe menus available and none of which were really outstanding. My hubby went with the surf and turf option... $59.99 for a salad, crab cake, 6oz filet, and dessert. They brought out the wrong salad.... And it was just a bunch of chunks of wilted iceberg lettuce with two anchovies on top.....disgusting! The crab cake was good but the filet was a bit flavorful. I had better luck with the savor the summer menu, as my tuna tower was fresh and delicious but had the same experience with a bland filet. Dessert was hit or miss also, hubby loved his key lime pie but my soufflé was inedible. With so many other great steak options like Capital Grille or Ruth's Chris, I'm not sure I'm willing to give this place another shot.

Visited September 2013
“Nice time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

For my birthday this year I decided to go to Morton's. From my days in Ft. Lauderdale I had several credits through the landrys select program, plus the birthday credit that the program provides. I had never been to the west palm beach/Philips point location before.
Made a reservation for two on opentable.com for 730pm on a Saturday night. Arrived and we were promptly seated. Dining room was full, which was good to see. The menus read happy birthday and had my name, nice touch. Started with a half dozen oysters, they brought ten as they said were undersized. They were good.
I went with the four course savor the summer menu for $49. Ahi tuna, Morton's salad, honey glazed salmon, creamed spinach, and key lime pie. She went with the $59 menu, which bought a filet, crab cake, asparagus and creme brûlée. They never, however, brought the asparagus but I did not mention it because there was already too much to eat. The waiter said I could go off the savor the summer menu for dessert as it was my birthday but I stayed with the key lime pie. It was served with a candle. A nice 20 year port served as the nightcap to a very nice birthday.

Visited August 2013
West Palm Beach, FL
“About as good as it gets for happy hour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

OK maybe I'm cheap but this is great. My wife and I went on a Saturday night for date night. We ate only off the Power Hour menu. We had drinks, salad and two Filet dishes with tips and it was $50. Wow great food great service and reasonable price. We will go back again soon. In bar but at a table with smiling service.

• Visited July 2013