“Top notch food, a few particulars knock it down a peg or two” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: N Dixie Hwy
Athens, Georgia
“Top notch food, a few particulars knock it down a peg or two”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

I went here with a few family members last week while we were in town. My mother tried to keep talking me into other places, but I had research this place in anticipation and it looked different so I stuck to my guns.

As we drove there you could see the neighborhood was a little sketchy and I got a little worried that my mother would be saying I told you so, but as soon as you turn onto Northwood everything changes. The street is nicely lit and is lined with nice shops. Perhaps it is a transition neighborhood. Parking is only on the street, but we did not have an issue.

The food, in a word, was outstanding. From the (free!) hors d'vours to the turnover appetizer to all of our meals, we could not have been more pleased. The menu is limited, but the ingredients are fresh and prepared wonderfully. A small menu at a restaurant indicates to me quality over quantity, and that is exactly what you get. Not that the portions are small, you're just not going to walk out of there with leftovers. If you're looking for that, go to a chain. Something else to note is the entree descriptions often do not describe the accompanying sides. We took this to mean many of the entrees were a la carte so we ordered sides of potatoes and veg in addition to our meals. When our meals came out we had a bit too much food and wound up leaving much of the sides. Bottom line: Ask for an entree description to avoid waste.

The evening took a slight turn for the worse towards the end of the meal. The restaurant became VERY crowded and loud. The acoustics in there are not very good. The increase in customers also meant our server, who was very attentive early on, disappeared for long periods of time. In her defense, she was dealing with several large parties. However, we had to wait a LONG time for dessert and a LONGER time for the check. Not something to yell and scream about, but something to note.

And perhaps the biggest knock: the desserts were subpar. As I've said on several reviews, I love my chocolate and there really wasn't anything in this realm. As a table of four we ordered the boston cream pie and the cheesecake. The boston cream pie was dry and a bit bland. The cheesecake has sour cream on top that made the whole thing bland as well. On a better note, the coffee was excellent.

Overall the food (except for desserts) and experience was top notch but if you go, go early to avoid crowds and parking issues.

• Visited March 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

71% Recommend
Michigan
“Hidden gem worth finding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011 via mobile

Great staff, super service, creative cuisine, everything delicious, amazing chocolate cake...

What more could you want?

Maybe cushions for the chairs, but really they are fine and comfortable.

Visit this place if you are looking for something a little different.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Palm Beach, Florida
“A must visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

I have eaten at jade kitchen 3 times in the last month, including taking my entire family for a birthday dinner. The food is Always fresh, tasty and original. The owner/chef takes great pride in his restaurant and it shows. The atmosphere is casual and friendly and accomodating to special requests. I have been recommending it to all
my friends.
Try it,you won't be disappointedbb

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere