“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pembroke Pines FL
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This review is written with a little mixed feelings. It was a good stay but it could have been better.

We arrived at the Hotel around 2PM and were told the room was not ready yet and to come back. Our traveling companions asked if we could do a pre-check in but we did not get an answer. So we left to grab lunch

We returned around 5PM I believe, and was probably given the worst room, #100 next to the Manager’s office and all the foot traffic of the elevators. And slamming of the side exit door to the parking lot. Luckily we were only staying one night and we just needed a place to sleep the night.

We went to see if we could get our room changed, and were told that we could not because they were booked solid and our room, (check this out, ready?) :
“was the only room with two queen beds” Seriously?? Room #100 was the only room with two queen beds in the hotel
I’ve stayed in Homewood Suites before and the rooms have been a little larger and spacious (four of us were staying here, which is why we selected Homewood suites)
This one seemed a little small and cramped maybe because it’s the left over room (give it to last people to check in) room next to the manager’s office. #100
However, the room was clean, it had it’s own living room, fridge, dishwasher, microwave etc. The blow dryer did not work, (good thing I always travel with a blow dryer). Kitchen and eating area was cramped, comparison to other Homewood Suite properties I've visited. Beds were very comfortable
They had warm full breakfast in the morning, with eggs, sausage links, cereals, bagels and a waffle station etc.... I recommend getting breakfast as early as possible. Because at 10 AM on a Sunday morning it’s like a stampede, everyone is trying to get breakfast and there’s a wait for the waffle station, especially if you get inconsiderate guests that use both waffle machines to make like 12 waffles. By the way each waffle takes 2 minutes to make. I waited like 30 minutes in line to get one waffle. So was the waffle any good for the wait you ask? It was a decent waffle, should have just had a bagel, would have been faster. Scrambled eggs and sausage was good.
So the final thing that put a damper on this stay, was when we got the hotel receiptl,(they slipped it under the door)
The room was only $115.27 total on the Homewood Suites receipt.
We had booked with Expedia, it is probably the last time I will book with Expedia ever again. We booked with Expedia because it claimed to have the cheapest rate of $109.65 a night, total Charge of $141.24 (taxes and extra guest fee )
When I had gone online to book directly with the Hotel it had given me a rate of $129 or $139.00, at the time, so I went with Expedia with a Finall price of $141.24
So I feel that Expedia ripped me off $26.24.
The Hotel did not bill an extra guest charge and the nightly rate was $103.85, occupancy and sale taxes $11.42
Needless to stay, that the next time I will call the Hotel directly and ask them if they will honor the rate that these companies like Expedia are advertising as the lowest rate and confirm these extra guest charges
I did some searching on the internet about calling Expedia about getting a credit for the difference in the over charge, but many commented that they won’t budge on it. (So I'll avoid the headache) Some also claimed that when booking hotel stays through Expedia, you usually get the worst rooms because Expedia gets the rooms at a discount

Well it’s a lesson learned, I will make sure to check rate with the Hotel directly with a phone call and possibly negotiate and also assure to put in a request not to be given the room next to the manager’s office or near the elevators or the first floor

Room Tip: Make sure to avoid room #100, next to elevator and side exit door to the parking lot
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
jasonpoynter, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites West Palm Beach, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear about your mixed feelings about your stay. Our check in time is 3 pm and on this particular day we were sold out. We accomodate early check ins when the rooms are available. Please contact me at jpoynter@otodevelopment.com so that I can discuss your stay in further detail.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Found the front counter staff really friendly and helpful. The room size was ok and the kitchen was good. The complimentary breakfast and dinner (with beer or wine) was nice.

It is a little out of the way so a car is needed. The internet was a little slow.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
jasonpoynter, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites West Palm Beach, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
We are glad you liked our hotel. We are in the last stages of upgrading our internet speed. Thank you for staying with us!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Well, we stayed in a variety of places on our recent road trip through Florida. Some were historic, others were economy, etc. But this place was great; two rooms, two flat-screen HD TVs, clean, and by far the BEST bed we slept in. And, we got it at a bargain price!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
We are delighted that you feel the way you do! Our hotel has great spacious rooms and tons of amenties for the value. Thank you for staying with us!
Eustis, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

There was lots to love at this hotel and only some minor faults. I chose this hotel partly for the above-average sounding free hot breakfast buffet. I was not disapointed. There were fluffy scrambled eggs, tasty sausages, bacon, hashbrowns (which unfortunately, weren't browned), and oatmeal with toppings. I made a delicious waffle with warm blueberry topping and whipped cream. There was also the standard cereals, breakfast breads, milk, juices, and coffee. My king bed suite was beautiful, spotlessly clean, new-looking, and spacious. The full kitchen had everything--full-sized fridge & freezer, microwave, 2-burner stove, dishwasher, and sink and was stocked with all the small appliances, pots, dishes, and utensils you would need. It had everything but an oven! It even had paper towels (although they fell off the roll-holder every time I tore one off). There was no tub in the bathroom, but the shower was large with a high shower head that sprayed a strong, heavenly shower of hot water. My only complaint was there was only one small shelf big enough for a bar of soap and no place to put anything else. The air conditioner kept the room nice and cold and the down comforter on the bed was nice and warm. We didn't have a chance to use the pool, but did use the pool table, located in a little room off the lobby with its own TV. Unfortunately the glass door doesn't stay closed no matter what you do, so don't expect to have any private conversations. There isn't a lot to do close by this hotel. All of the staff we talked to were really friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in West Palm Beach.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
jasonpoynter, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites West Palm Beach, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you for your review. We wish you could have stayed longer too! We hope to see you again soon.
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Just like on the commercial, felt like home away from home! Very clean, very safe, very friendly! Also, the food is top notch, both breakfast & dinner. If there is anything I needed, they got it for me. Employees are helpful and friendly! Manager greets every guest each morning and sends you off to have a great day! I can't say enough... If you are looking for a top notch 5 star hotel, go there.....

Room Tip: Just tell the front desk what U need and they do everything they can to ensure you are happy!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for the nice words! Our suites give you room to spread out and relax. The breakfast is hot and ready each morning and we also serve a light dinner with beverages M-TH. We hope to see you again soon.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Came to surprise my Guy Felix as he played an anniversary party for the group Orleans with Spencer Davis. We pulled into Homewood on a very ritzy street. The desk clerk was the best. She knew who my guy was, she got on her computer to find the party. I got 2 suites, one for Felix & me & one for our bodyguard. She finds a newspaper article on the affair but it states PRIVATE PARTY. I told her he knows where we are staying, She had 7 locales for us to drive to but all had -0- going.

The suite it just heaven. A large bedroom on top floor with king bed, pillowtop mattress, top quality sheets that are very white, duvet with down comforter. Large flat screen TVacross from sleeper sofa . The bathroom is large enough for a queen bed to be in it. Kitchen has large refridgerator with ice maker, a countertop stove, dishes, cookware, dishwasher, utensils. Table with 4 chairs had the coffeemaker with coffee and sweeteners & powdered creamer. Living room has a sleeper sofa, large flat screen TV. Will went to front desk to tell her that he will sleep on the pull out sofa when a honeymooning couple showed to a sold out hotel. No Felix & our bodyguard should be in the room. A message arrived at the front desk that he was driving to N Carolina for another party. Major money for 2 drives. We woke up had a large breakfast with thick waffles, hot blueberries & whipped cream. Then we drive home through some torrential storms. I learned he showed but they would not tell him my room number to call me or come up for the night. Good security! Men work the front desk at night to protect the folks staying there. I wanted to cry but understood.

I highly recommend this hotel for a true suite experience for very little money $109/nt. I am Homewood Suites exclusive to be spoiled if they are in the CIty I am in. CLEANLINESS is the magic word for Homewood.

Room Tip: All room are true suites with bedroom with door,living room, dining room, kitchen with large refrige...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
cocoa beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

The last time I stayed here I received an offer to stay at a hotel next door for $ 10 less-I thought that I'd try it(after staying 2 nights at Homewood) It was a mistake- Homewood was sooo much better - the hotel is spotless and all of the employees that I came in contact with went out of their way to be helpful and pleasant!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
jasonpoynter, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites West Palm Beach, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We appreciate the kind words about the cleanliness and service! We look forward to seeing you again.

Been to Homewood Suites West Palm Beach? Share your experiences!