The Hyatt Place was recommended to me by a friend in WPB as a good, inexpensive hotel for a two night stay in the city with my son. Here's my take on our brief stay.
1. The hotel is centrally located, within walking distance to City Place, and easy to get in and out of by car.
2. The room was spacious, comfy and clean although it did have a bit of a musty odor, but nothing so overpowering as to make me change rooms. I loved the comfy corner seating area. It was a nice option for relaxing other than the bed.
3. The shower was great. Unlike most rain showers the water stream was nicely powerful and consistently hot.
1. They are terribly short staffed and as a result service is horribly slow. It seems as if the Hyatt has decided to cut operational costs by using one person for front desk check in and out, restaurant service and answering the phone. Talk about multi-tasking! Hyatt may want to rethink this approach. What they save in overhead, they are losing in repeat business. Check in, check out, rekeys, ordering food, and coffee service take forever. There was always a line and even when it was finally my turn, the staff person would be interrupted because the phone rang, or the oven dinged, or there was something unresolved from the previous guest that required attention. One night my son went down to get Nachos. After an hour he came back upstairs empty handed. He patiently waited in line, finally got to place his order and was waiting for his food when he was told, oops we ran out. Can't make the nachos because we don't have any beans. With no where else to go at 11pm, he unfortunately went to bed hungry.
2. The elevator is painstakingly slow and sometimes goes out. Yup, a few guests told me they got stuck in the elevator. This was corroborated by my son. Luckily on the Nacho night he rode the car that was working because when he got out, he discovered that people were stuck in the other.
3. Parking is $15 per night, even although their site says $5
4. Security was a bit of a concern. Not enough for paranoia, but perhaps a little more caution is required especially for solo travelers. There were families camped out in the hallway who I think were waiting to get into a room. Same situation also could be seen at the outside entrance in the parking lot. I overheard a guest complaining that he had been given a key to a room that was still occupied. My room key didn't always work and on one occasion when I asked for a second key to my room, the multi-tasking overworked staff member issued me one without verifying my identity.
Overall, it's a decent choice for families because of the location and semi-reasonable cost. I would suggest you bring your own food and take the stairs.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Downtown Hotel West Palm Beach
- Hyatt West Palm Beach