“a disappointing return visit showing its age” 3 of 5 stars

Saddlebrook Resort Tampa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5700 Saddlebrook Way, Wesley Chapel, FL 33543   |
Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Wesley Chapel
Princeton NJ
“a disappointing return visit showing its age”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

This was our fourth visit to Saddlebrook so obviosuly we liked it for a husband wife getaway from the north and a few years ago left a very positive review..the service and location are always good..and we do love the self contained nature of the resort with golf, accomodations, spa and restaurants all easily walkable but two things troubled us...the rooms (we were in a one-bedroom suite) are really showing their age..sliding door didn't work..dated furntiure..limited kitchen and old television...we are not chronic complainers but it was enough for the cost that we wrote a note about the rooms to the hotel when we returned (April) and never heard back...wrote again and got an email that someone would be in touch...it never happenned..poor customer service and we will not be returning

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

428 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

My friend found this resort on line for its tennis instructions and I was a little skeptical as I do not play tennis. However, they also have an Arnold Palmer golf academy so I agreed to try it.
The "play with a pro" golf program was well worth the price. I learned more in 4 hours than I have in my 10 or so years of golfing. I wish I could remember the pro's name but I am sure that they are all equally gifted. The Saddlebrook course is the one that we used and it is beautiful and challenging.
I did take one 3 hour tennis lesson and since i am a beginner, I was the only one in the lesson. It was a very good lesson and the video feedback helped a lot.

The resort itself is very nice and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The food was good enough. We did not eat much more than breakfast at the resort as it was rather expensive. We had nachos at the bar one night (do not recommend) and the salad bar in the steakhouse another. The creme brulee was obviously frozen and not reheated very well and the salad bar was really more of a tapas bar with one salad option.

The large pool is nice but very little shade options. You have to wear a wrist band while at the pool, not sure why this is as it is not all inclusive. You are able to check out pool balls, towels and games. The pool was very cool and clean.

There were some conferences during the week and I would recommend this resort for any conferences.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Farmington Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

The only negative thing about Saddle brook was that I had a 1 bedroom suite and I could not park my car near the room. It has to be valet parking and then I had to be driven by golf cart. It was annoying when I just wanted to run to the grocery store, etc.
Otherwise, it was a positive experience. The director and tennis pros were very nice and accomodating and the fitness training was excellent.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

I went to work on my tennis skills and had a fabulous experience. First, the training was top rate. Second, the enthusiasm and support by the pros were really encouraging. Third, they really seem to like their job and didn't make me feel like just another middle aged lady coming through. I bet they'll remember me when I return sometime in the future. The service at Saddlebrook was outstanding by all the employees no matter what position they had. They seem to have a good golf program, but I can't comment on that since I don't play the game. The pool area is nice and a pleasant place to enjoy some downtime after playing tennis all day. While the food and atmosphere are good a the two restaurants there are only two restaurants. So, after a couple of days you start to get a bit tired of the same place. You can eat lunch pool side for a change of scenery but otherwise you need to drive out of the complex to the town, which isn't much to speak of. Strip malls, etc. I'd highly recommend this facility if you're into improving your tennis game.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

Best resort we have been to for tennis. Howard Moore and his staff are unbelievably welcoming and friendly. They are also incredibly capable and knowledgeable tennis instructors. If you love tennis, I would highly, highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

We loved the accommodations, the tennis instruction, and the people at saddlebrook!! The two bedroom condo was really nice, well decorated and updated. The tennis instruction was great--we had one instructor the entire time (Pat) who really challenged us and who was great fun to boot!! The service at the resort was friendly--they could definitely expand their menu but we were visiting in the off season. A wonderful girls weekend!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

We came here for four days of tennis instruction in the Harry Hopman program. We love to play tennis, and are committed to improving our game, and our level of seriousness was more than matched by the Saddlebrook instructors. The program includes a free breakfast (awesome breakfast bar, with oatmeal, yogurt, sliced meats and cheeses, fresh fruit, eggs made to order, Danishes, several kinds of sausages and bacon), spa privileges (which we didn't find out about until the last day, unfortunately), and five hours of daily instruction. Our pros, Sean and Pat, were terrific. We worked on every stroke, and on shots that I thought I would never be able to master, such as the swinging volley. I look forward to using it on the courts at home! The Hopman method focuses on a lot of "live balls" -- the kind of balls you'll get from your fellow players, not just the perfectly placed ones you get from a pro. It means the gains you get during your time there are real, and not just in response to an "ideal" ball. I feel like I've made a lot of gains, in both technique and confidence, and I look forward to making a trip to Saddlebrook a regular part of my tennis life.

We had a deluxe bedroom, and it was beautiful, well-appointed (free wifi! three TVs! a shower and a bath tub; an outdoor patio with a little table and chairs) and clean, and like an apartment. There's a dining room area and a little kitchen, with a coffee pot and dishwasher and plates and silverware, two bedrooms and two baths. My husband and i really spread out and settled in. Next time, I'll take more advantage of the kitchen, rent a car, and cart in more of my own food, to save a little bit of money. There are at least four restaurants on site, but they can be a bit pricey over the course of four days. The resort offers a nifty "groceries" service, which we took advantage of. We got a loaf of bread, some peanut butter and jelly, and ate lunch during our two hour midday break at our suite. Sweet!

The place is really clean, and beautifully landscaped. That said, I was a little annoyed that there were gray tennis balls in the water feature behind the courts. They'd been in the water a long time, and I wonder why someone hasn't fished them out already.

We didn't need to use the workout facilities, because we were playing tennis five hours a day, but I looked in on it, and it's rather spare compared to the rest of the resort. It's also quite a distance from the main housing clusters.

The pool is awesome. We spent every afternoon resting our tired muscles in the heated Jacuzzi, then taking a dip in the huge pool.

We really loved our stay, and look forward to coming back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Saddlebrook Resort Tampa? Share your experiences!