“Convenient and tasty” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Tampa, FL
“Convenient and tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

My husband and I have dined at Grillsmith in Wiregrass Mall twice now. We were quite pleased both times.

The waitstaff is friendly and usually, the seating staff is friendly as well, though they're a bit standoffish it seems.

Our last trip was in February for a quick dinner. It was Valentine's Day and we honestly hadn't even thought of that. We weren't able to get a table so they suggested grabbing a high top in the bar. We went into the bar and found a table right away. The server was immediately at our table asking for our drink orders and brought them out promptly.

I've ordered the flank (skirt) steak with Chimichuri both times I've been there and it's delicious. While this is never a tender steak, they manage to make it quite tender. The Chimichuri sauce is wonderful and a perfect balance with the steak. Their Jasmine rice is to die for and their side veggies are always prepared well and never overdone.

My husband enjoyed his pork chop very much and commented on how much he loves the Jasmine rice as well.

We've been very pleased with our waitstaff both times we visited. While definitely not a "cheap, fast" meal, it's a nice meal to have while wandering the mall and wanting something that isn't fast food.

Visited February 2013

“Wonderful menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I love places that make it difficult for me to order. Everything sounds good. We had appetizers of Thai shrimp and lettuce-wrapped chicken. Both wonderful and tasty. I had an entree of shrimp/crab cakes and salmon. Also very good. We were in a nice quiet part of the restaurant, where it was easy to talk to an old friend.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Trinity, FL
“Overcharging for groups”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was part of a group of 23 women at a luncheon on Tuesday. We were given a choice of four menu items which all included soup for $16.00. Price not stated on menu. I had a cup of soup and a chicken wrap with cole slaw. Perfectly fine. I wrongly assumed the $16 included tax and tip. I only had water as my beverage. Also I ordered a dessert (cake) for our hostesss, for which I was charged $7. So my check came to $27. Then after I left I was told the restaurant tried to collect from our hostess an additional charge for the room. We did not have a separate room but one end of a large room. Most restaurants would comp the birthday dessert, which was not large. Most restaurants would be happy to have that many guests and would charge much less and give us many more choices. Our group has monthly luncheons and this has not happened in other comparable restaurants in our area. I would not expect that we will return to this restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Dining during Happy Hour surprisingly at a discount.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

First, Grillsmith is part of a small chain of restaurants. There are currently six locations, all in Florida.

Second, during Happy Hour, wine by the glass is sold for 57% of the full price, but only the less expensive wines on their modest list are offered at a discount.

Third, there are daily specials offered for a discount. I chose the Mixed Grill at 81% of the full price.

Inside it's dark in the way that you expect a steak house to look although that isn't quite what Grillsmith is. I arrived early, before sunset, and I was seated promptly by a hostess who smiled and seemed to be glad to see me. My waitress gave me enough time and appeared when I needed her.

However, she set down the rectangular dish of my Caprese Stack the wrong way! Instead of the wide dimension going from shoulder to shoulder, she placed one of the narrow end closest to me. I asked her if the kitchen gave her directions about which way to present dishes. She said no and agreed that she should have set it down the other way.

The Caprese Stack is a traditional salad of sliced tomato and mozzarella that is served as a stack. It's a novel presentation, and to eat that tall stack, you must first demolish it from the top, a pair of stories at a time. The unusual ingredient was arugula which is not surprising given that it is more abundant than basil during the winter. The tomato slices were thick and cut from large, juicy, beefsteak tomatoes. The mozzarella was excellent.

The Spicy Thai Chicken appetizer, bits of chicken breast, coated in batter, and deep fried was excellent with the sriracha aïoli.

For my Mixed Grill Monday, I chose center cut sirloin and shrimp on a skewer with sauteed spinach. The spinach came with small paper thin slices of garlic, but a bit more olive oil to finish the spinach would have been welcome. The beef was a bit tough. The shrimp were deveined and succulently good.

Will I return? Yes. Will I recommend it? Yes.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dover, Massachusetts
“Great good at great price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

On a beautiful sunny Florida day we wanted to eat at an outdoor cafe with a healthy choice quality menu . After walking around all the food stops at the Shoppes at Wiregrass we settled on the Grillsmith . The staff and service were most courteous and the menu options were great. For lunch I had a lovely piece of grilled salmon that would match any fine restaurant. The salad and bread was also delicious . The atmosphere was casual but nice and a great place for a fun outdoor meal.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere