“One of a kind adventure” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Boat Tours, Adventure
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
“One of a kind adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

I have traveled the entire world and seen some pretty amazing things, but I never expected to be so floored by something so naturally unique in a place like Florida. This river is unlike anything I have ever seen. The water is as clear or clearer than the beaches of Thailand or the Caribbean, yet completely fresh water. Even though it it fresh water fed from underground springs, it flows into the gulf which allows a unique variety of fresh and salt water fish, not to mention manatees to inhabit the waters. Not only this, the water stays a cool 72-76 degrees year round.

We rented a kayak from the kayak shop and they were totally awesome. We had a time constraint, so they opened a little early for us and were completely accommodating and extremely friendly. Their prices are more than fair for what you get. They will go out of their way to accommodate you.

We went to see manatees, but did not see any. As I mentioned before, we were on a time constraint so we didn't really take our time to look more closely, that and the tide was low. I thought I would be disappointed not to see any since that is what we went for, but quite the opposite. The scenery is quiet and relaxing and so peaceful. I also have never in my life seen so many fish. Millions. Beautiful colors and sizes. I felt like I was snorkeling looking down without even being in the water. The fish are everywhere and absolutely beautiful in a variety of shapes and sizes and colors. The fish looked tropical, hard to believe I was I a Florida river.

I have never been more surprised and ecstatic about a travel find like this before (I stumbled onto it on google maps). If you are within 2 hours of this place you should drop what you are doing and head to the kayak shack.

Hernando Beach, Florida
“We loved the Kayak Shack”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We loved our experience at the Kayak Shack. The staff are very helpful and knowledgeable and our experience on the river was dreamlike. Thanks!

Visited February 2014

Columbus, Ohio
“Awesome stand-up paddle along winding river.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Stand Up Paddle made easy. The board was stable and easy to use. The river wound through areas that felt like isolated wilderness. Lots of fish and wildlife. The staff were friendly and helpful. I'll be going back often.

St. Petersburg, Florida
“EPIC paddling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

February 1, 2014

The Kayak Shack and all of it’s staff are very friendly, very helpful and are located at the perfect stopping point in Weeki Wachee. We brought our own kayaks and they loaded them along with all of our gear and shuttled us to the beginning of the head spring. This allowed us to essentially float downstream with only correction paddle strokes with minimal effort. We had a truly EPIC paddling adventure. We saw tons of fish, manatee, turtles, birds ect. The water is amazing in clarity and color. We definitely will make this journey with the Kayak Shack again.

Visited February 2014
Annapolis Royal, Canada
“Cheerful service, lovely trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I've been to the Kayak Shack several times starting last year when visiting family in the area. They have been several times in the past and always recommend it to visitors. The service is friendly and professional, the gear worked well, the price was reasonable and we had a great time. Love seeing the manatees! We're hoping to go on the longer, day long tour soon. We'll be back!