“Yes, the Real/Old Florida” 5 of 5 stars

Wakulla Springs Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   550 Wakulla Park Dr, Wakulla Springs, FL 32305   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wakulla Springs
Nashville
“Yes, the Real/Old Florida”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I had wanted to visit Wakulla Springs for years and finally "made" the occasion to stay at the beautiful lodge and take a boat trip to view quite a variety of birds, LOTS of alligators, and one snake. Alas, I had hoped to see manatees but was not fortunate enough to see them this visit. The Florida temps were quite brisk, and it was breezy . . . just beautiful to see the Spanish moss in the trees, especially the beautiful cypress trees and their many "knees" jutting out all around the tree trunks. Our boat guide was very informative, and we could have stayed on the boat for hours had we been allowed to do so. Our room at the Lodge was incredible. With it being a Monday night (a weeknight), the price was very affordable. The room was actually what we believe to be the Edward Ball Suite, facing the springs area, having a large closet, large four-poster bed, sleeper sofa, coffee table, and desk. The two large windows, which could be opened to enjoy the breeze, gave a spectacular view. The linens and bed itself were quite comfortable. We did not use the sofa sleeper, so we aren't able to describe its comfort (or lack thereof). The furnishings within the room were well above what we had expected, with area rug/carpets over the tile floor, antique furniture, and elaborate draperies. Not having a TV in the room led to an enjoyable evening, as we chose that night to watch "The Creature From the Black Lagoon" on the large TV in the lodge's lobby area. My husband, son, and I had the area to ourselves, as it was about 9:30 p.m. when we started to watch the movie (which we understand is kept in the VCR for guests to watch at anytime!). It was truly one of the highlights to watch the movie and giggle and laugh at the sight of the Creature in the rubber suit and to think how the movie had been filmed in the same area we had visited by boat a few hours earlier in the day! Don't miss the chance to see the movie after the boat trip! We also dined in the restaurant for dinner and again were pleasantly surprised at the service, the quality of the food, the large glass of wine which was poured, dessert/coffee, and the wonderful music which accompanied dinner. Last, but not least, the dinner was very affordable. I hope to return within the next few years.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room with a view of the springs area!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Destin, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Peaceful beautiful grounds. clean clear swimming waters. 68 degrees year round..manatees, alligators, and beautiful birds will be seen on the boat tour down the river. ..the rooms at the lodge are very basic. no tv,no radios, restaurant in lodge is good. rooms are about 100

• Stayed March 2013
Florida Panhandle, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I've always wanted to go to Wakulla Springs for a glass bottom boat tour but never had the occasion to do so. When my husband and I recently were on our way home from the east coast, we decided to detour off I-10 and stay the night there at the Lodge. The architecture and foresight that Edward Ball had in designing this place was incredible, and it's truly a work of art, if you can appreciate old buildings. From the old art deco elevator to the hand-crank windows to the four-handle faucet in the shower to the carefully laid marble floor tiles to the hand-painted ceiling in the lobby, the attention to detail here is fascinating. The history of the place is really interesting as well. The only downside of our room was that the pillows are very flat, and even with two each, my husband and I had a hard time sleeping comfortably on them. It was late by the time we realized this, so we didn't bother to call the front desk to ask for more pillows. The Lodge would do itself well to invest in some nicer pillows, and that wouldn't cost much money to do. It was raining and cool the night we stayed, so we slept with the windows open to hear the rain on the Spanish tile looking metal roof, which was neat. We ate dinner and breakfast here, and the food was good. The warm rolls were good, and the salad portions were generous and fresh. My husband ordered the king cut prime rib and said it was the best he's ever had anywhere. Unfortunately for me, I ordered the stuffed tilapia minus the tomato, and it didn't sit well with me. The tilapia itself was a fairly thick filet and was cooked perfectly; the pepper jack cheese on top was good as well; and the crab cake was full of yummy crab meat. However, there was a hint of something with a kick, maybe horseradish, in the crab cake that threw me off, and I can't tolerate anything that tastes remotely like horseradish or spicy. My husband ended up eating much of the crab cake and loved it, and we were both very happy with the homemade mashed potatoes. There was only one server that night at dinner, and the server made it known that the guy who was supposed to be working with her had gone home sick, so she had been there since 7:00am that morning. In spite of this, she provided as prompt service as could be expected, and she was friendly and attentive. For breakfast we both had omelets, which were cooked very well. However, my husband ordered salsa with his, and this server brought him cocktail sauce, which he poured on the omelet without tasting it first, so his omelet was then inedible. The server apologized profusely and said this is what the kitchen staff gave her, so my husband's order had to be recooked. This delay put us behind on catching the 9:40am river boat tour, but to be honest, it worked out better in the long run. It was overcast and occasionally slightly sprinkling, so we killed some time walking part of the nature trail, and by the time we got back for the 11:00am river boat tour, the sun was peeking out from behind the clouds, and we got better weather for our trip down the river. Although the water was too dark for a glass bottom boat tour, the regular river boat tour was nice as well. I got some beautiful photographs of the alligators, turtles, and numerous species of birds, so that was a bonus. Even with a few bumps in the road with the pillows and the restaurant glitches, I was very happy with our stay here and would like to have my parents go there for a trip, because I think they would enjoy it a lot. I've been to a lot of "old" places - B&B's and older hotels with antique decor - and none have ever been as clean and well maintained in terms of the structure as Wakulla Springs Lodge is. Just riding the old elevator was neat, and the photos on their website don't do it justice!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the river side of the lodge.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sanibel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The scenery at Wakulla Springs is beautiful and the wildlife you see on the boat ride is fantastic--manatees, gators, ducks, and herons.
The hotel was magnificant but terribly neglected now. Our room had burned out light bulbs, a missing lamp shade, and the heating system wasn't working. On our last night there was no heat and the temperature was in the 30s. I felt so sorry for the staff because they tried so hard. The problem was there weren't enough of them.
The food was quite good but the service was slow --again, lack of staff. We wanted a glass of wine before dinner but were told only with dinner. A "Lobby Bar" is definitely needed.
Even with my complaints I'd go back again for the scenery, and to hopefully see improvement in the management of the Lodge. Florida needs to take better care of this "gem".

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I felt very sorry for the man who greeted us at this Lodge. He was some polite and eager to please but we felt he was let down by the amenities of the Lodge. The rooms are cold, linen is revolting and none too generous and the bathrooms are terrible. We had dinner at the lodge and it was revolting. There were two wait staff on that evening and they were flustered and hurried. The food was absolutely dreadful and we wished we had driven 15 minutes to a fast food outlet. The only saving grace of this place was the boat ride we took in the morning which was fabulous!The manatees are beautiful but the amenities are dreadful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bradenton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a piece of Old Florida! My parents took our family for an overnight visit in the 70s, and I've always wanted to go back. I'm so happy we finally got to return! It is a beautiful place, the springs and river are nature at it's best! Highly recommend the river boat tour, you will see gators, manatees, and all types of birds. The lodge is like stepping back in time! I loved the peaceful environment , don't go there if you are in a hurry! Our room was charming,and warm, it was the coldest weekend so far this year! The food in the restaurant was delicious, the staff was pushed as it was a holiday weekend, but they wanted to please. The roaring fire in the grand lobby was a welcome stop after a long hike. Go there to unwind, and get away from it all!

Room Tip: The DuPont suite has a wonderful view of the springs!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Destin, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

This could be a charming location, but it's currently a major disappointment. Beautiful setting, decent meals, and pleasant dining room wait staff were all offset by few amenities and lack of heat in our room (Jan 2013). The temperatures in our room were 62, 57, and 45 degrees on successive mornings. The guest book in our room reported similar problems in Nov and Dec 2012. Even worse than the frigid room temps (did I mention no hair dryers) were the lack of communication and accommodation from the hotel staff. At no time during our 3 day stay did the staff tell us about the heat problem, offer extra blankets, or give us the option to move to a room with heat (there were some) or another motel. Whenever we inquired, we were told they were "working on it" or "it's been fixed". The information changed by the hour and by the person. Given that the heat problems are not new, any responsible manager would have appropriate adjustments already in place. When we complained at check-out, our bill was comped, but that did not really offset the frustration and inconvenience we experienced during our stay.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Wakulla Springs Lodge? Share your experiences!