“Great Location - Hotel Needs Work” 3 of 5 stars

Surf Club Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4700 North State Route A1A, Vero Beach, FL 32963   |
Ranked #19 of 26 Hotels in Vero Beach
Lakeland, Florida
“Great Location - Hotel Needs Work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Location is awesome ocean front and can see the beach from pool area . Beach , pool, and hotel is located very close together which was awesome as im disabled and cant not walk far distances . The pool was nice and open late but the lounge chairs at the pool most are in need of repair or need to be replaced . The restaurant on site serves breakfast and is in view of the ocean which was nice but little pricey. My room was fair it was clean but it had Burgundy stained carpet and it smelled weird when we first walked in the room . The beds were comfortable. Found a dead roach in our bathroom which was a turn off . The room was a nice size to fit 4 people comfortable. Hotel is out dated and are in need of some improvements but for the price it was a ok deal but i would not pay seasonal rates to stay here unless they did some updating . We had a good time . Staff was friendly . I was little disappointment with the room and the pool chairs but other than that we had a awesome time .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Glen Rose, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

If price is a concern and exterior appeal is not, then the Surf Club Hotel is for you! Our room was clean and free from odors. I read the reviews, went ahead and viewed several of the rooms, and still booked for August 21st and 22nd. We enjoyed our stay, the beds are comfortable, linens and rooms are clean. These are what is important to me. The exterior is "old" but clean. The pool and beach are awesome. The grounds and facility was maintained and the service was friendly. The were some problems with people breaking rules, yes there are rules posted at the pool. When we advised the office of the misuse of the pool, it did not happen again, someone took care of it. Coco's restaurant is well serviced, friendly and clean. They have elevators and guest laundry.

Room Tip: The upper rooms tend to be in better condition. We prefer the end rooms closer to the beach, upper l...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

While this is an older and fine hotel, we were disappointed by the customer service. When booking we requested two adjoining rooms with an interior connecting door. They assured us they could accommodate us, even specifying which rooms. The morning we were to arrive we also made a follow-up phone call to the hotel confirming the rooms. When we arrived in the late afternoon we were told they had no such rooms for us because of a malfunctioning TV in one. In addition they had no rooms next to each other either. This extra room was for our children. Very disappointed!!
One room also had no towels and neither had toliet paper.

• Stayed August 2013
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

If you have read my others reviews you know that I'm in the hospitality business. I also took the time to review many the mixed write ups on this hotel. I stayed the weekend on August 10th and 11th. 2013.

The room are old and worn down, there is nothing else to be said on this subject. From what i saw first hand, this is now beyond the need of some fresh paint and new soft goods in the rooms. They will need full scale dry wall repair, sand blasting of the exterior and complete rehab to compete in the future market. The staff was friendly enough, however , when my A/C didn't work on the first night, it was quickly replaced the next day. What bothered me was no effort to turn the situation around. Even at 100.00 a night, I should have been given something for lack of A/C . ( I promise you, we didn't sleep well with no A/C). . On the second night we were awoken to water dripping in the room from above. I didn't even bother to complain, I knew right then that the other negative reports were mostly true. The pool and view are very nice. Clearly they are trying to rehab the rooms and turn this place around.
The " church" is a non issue and I figured it was just a way to make money or tax right off. If your looking for a cheap place on a nice beach, then welcome home. The bad reviews are on the mark for the most part. If not, pay the extra 50 to 75 dollars and move on up the beach several hundred yards.

Owners: I was taken back by the "lack of rules" around the pool. During my stay one large group set up they own karaoke machine for the entire afternoon? My money should be viewed just as equals to theirs. This did keep my family away from the pool, just being honest.

Room Tip: Asked to see a room before you pay to stay. Have a back up plan or shame on you !
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I were very pleased with our decision to stay at the Surf Club Hotel, despite reading terrible reviews. We were greated by friendly staff and a very clean poolside room. We had wonderful views of the pool and the ocean and fabulous meals at Coco's Bistro, which is new to the hotel. We read the reviews and decided to chance it because the price and location was unbeatable. If you are looking for top notch fixtures and fresh paint then this may not be the place for you, but if you are looking for a clean room, soft bed and great views give it a shot. Sure the paint may have needed to be freshened up, but that close to the beach any hotel is going to need constant upkeep. The pool and public areas were clean and we absolutely loved staying here. One of our favortie spots was on the fourth floor near the stairwell by the ocean, there is enough room to pull up a couple of chairs and enjoy warm ocean breezes while taking in a breathtaking panoramic view. We are already planning our next stay at the Surf Club Hotel!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 421 and it was very clean and since it was on the top floor poolside offered fabul...
Gainesville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This was the only beachfront hotel I could find for one weekend night over fourth of July weekend that didn't cost close to $300. We paid $138 through Expedia. There is a church on the property which I thought was a little strange especially since the website said nothing about it. The lobby smelled very weird. The room was not as bad as it could have been; bed was uncomfortable but sheets were clean. Front door was on its last legs. Did not feel secure or safe because of the door situation. Luckily most of the guests were friendly families, but we were awakened early by children screaming at the pool. Beach and pool were okay, there was Sheriff caution tape on two of the chairs though...what does that mean??? The bathroom had mold growing on the wall, the towel rack fell down when I touched it. The water smelled bad. I considered leaving and just finding ANY place else but was too tired from a long drive. Can't recommend this place. If we had paid $50-$60 it would have been sort of ok. To their credit we didn't bother complaining so we did not give them a chance to make it right, but they own the place I'm sure they are aware of the condition it is in. What really concerned me is it is questionable structurally - the concrete is cracking in many places and all the doors and railings are disintegrating. There just wasn't anything good about it.

Longwood, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The shower was messed up our toilet leaked the bathroom door wouldn't even shut. It is as if they didn't take care of the rooms. We were there for three days & only once saw a person walking around actually doing any upkeep on the place. this place needs a complete overhaul. The only nice thing was being right on the beach.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Surf Club Hotel? Share your experiences!