“Watch Out for the Sharks” 3 of 5 stars

Surf Club Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4700 North State Route A1A, Vero Beach, FL 32963   |
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Vero Beach
Toronto
“Watch Out for the Sharks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We recently stayed at the Surf Club Hotel on 4700 North State Route , Vero Beach for four nights. This 48 room hotel has a pool, small restaurant and bar and a nice view of the ocean. The room had a king bed, dated tv, bathtub, iron, and coffee maker. There were two deck chairs outside the room. The restaurant was not open during the week for breakfast, but was available for dinner in the evening. On weekends the breakfast area was open. We never saw more than two couples eating at the "Tides" bar & restaurant was open for happy hour but prices were high for drinks. The Tides has no connection with the Tides in South Beach, Miami. It's like night and day. We checked the menu out and most meals started at $20 so our first night went over to the Vinz Restaurant, an expensive wine bar with sitting outside. I ordered a beer first and the bottle was placed at our table without a glass. The young kid thought everyone drank beer that way. The manager later apologized. The salmon turned out to be a toasted sandwich with some kind of cheese. I asked her whether it was canned. The price was steep ($14)for the small portion with potato chips. Later we drove to Muligans near by, where they had a nice happy hour and view of the beach outside. Other restaurants and bars in the area were the Driftwood Hotel, (nice size burgers for $7.50) .The bar was called Waldo's for Happy Hour. I had plans on going into the ocean but changed my mind after a fisherman on the pier caught a six foot "spinner shark" just beside the hotel. He managed to bring the shark on to the beach. I watched him cut the line for the shark and it slowly disappeared back into the ocean. I wish I had my camera at the time. Keep to the pool in the hotel. Why risk a leg or worse.

Room Tip: "Rooms on the higher floors facing the pool are ok"
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This place is one of our favorite guilty pleasures. We've stayed here several times and look forward to going back soon. Often we will impulsively tack on an extra day or two beyond our planned departure date.

I can absolutely understand the negative comments made in other reviews, but I don't care. For this location the price is more than right. You can expect to pay three times more at neighboring hotels. A friend who stayed here called the place a beautiful example of "Shabby Chic," and that seems very appropriate.

Built in the 70s, the place operated for years as the Vero Beach Inn. The property is a throwback to hotels and motels of that era. It was virtually destroyed in the hurricane swarms of 2004/05. The owners worked hard to get the place up and running again. It is still a work in progress. Rooms are clean, freshly painted and tile has replaced carpet. Much of the "shabby" appearance is due to the building's exterior, much of which is metal, reacting badly to the constant bath of salt air from the Atlantic Ocean... it is THAT close to the beach.

For your $99 (the going rate as of this writing, less with AARP or AAA) you get a clean room with daily housekeeping service, a great patio and pool overlooking the beach and the Atlantic Ocean. That's about it. If you want something else plan on providing it yourself.

Chef Kelly, a local caterer, usually serves food on the patio during weekends. The food is outstanding and reasonably priced but his schedule can sometimes be "flexible."

If you are a "low maintenance" type of person looking for a reasonable beach get away, give the Surf Club a chance.

Room Tip: Rooms are either sunny or in the shade depending on the time of year. Which is the more desirable al...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Huron, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

my girlfriend and I are in our early 20s and wanted a quick get away before school started. Rooms were okay and the price was unbeatable. great fishing nearby and the owner was a great guy. room service was good and didn't have any problems.

Room Tip: if you love the sound of the ocean sleep near the beach
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Port Clinton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is a beautiful location, but the hotel is run down and worse then our local kennel. The ceiling is hanging down away from the studs. We have a chain to lock the door, but it doesn't hook to anything. The water is the color of tea. The furniture is old and worn. The air conditioner makes noise, but is not working. There are no amenities other than ice. They do have packets of coffee in the room, but no cream or sugar packets. I tried to open a drawer to find the telephone book, and the handle pulled out. Rooms for pets have no bedspreads. There is rust and mold on the walls. The parking lot is dark, no working lights. They run your credit card when you check in. I suspect it's because some would not want to pay at all. I believe they use to serve food and have buffets, but there was no evidence that they still offered these services

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Riverview, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I'm a Florida native, I travel to different beaches often and stay for a few nights. My husband took me here when he proposed to me so, I of course enjoyed our stay there. We spent majority of our time out in the water and we enjoyed being able to have a beautiful view of the ocean for way less than most luxury hotels on the beach. With that being said, it is very old. I'm a little picky when it comes to staying in hotels because the thought of staying somewhere that isn't clean terrifies me. The room was clean and the layout was cute but, there was a strong, musty, moldy smell that sometimes made me nauseous (I have a very sensitive nose and stomach though). The paint was chipping on the walls outside and the balcony railings were completely rusted. The bed wasn't comfortable, we didn't use the kitchen because I didn't feel comfortable with it, the air unit puts out a very bad smell which also added to me feeling sick to my stomach. I used my own blankets when it was time to go to bed. The good part was the view and the price. If you are planning on spending majority of your time in the water and you're not looking for luxury then, this is the place for you. If you have a sensitive stomach to smells and you're a germ freak, I don't recommend it. I think this place just needs a bit of a makeover and it would be perfect for mini getaways. A brand new coat of paint, new carpets and/or air units would help tremendously. We probably will never stay here again. Our stay was terrific but, that was mostly because we got engaged. :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The hotel is older and it shows, everywhere. Many fixtures were rusted, the doors were run down, there's peeling paint, corners full of years of what-not, and dated decor. With that said, the room was actually clean. I was most worried what the bathroom would look like but it was clean and had no issues. There was a refrigerator and microwave in the room. There was a sketchy-looking coffer maker but the cord could reach the outlet (LOL) when sitting on the counter. The bed seemed hard, but I slept soundly with no complaints.

Staff was friendly and accommodating and they have free wi-fi! They say there's a restaurant but it seemed to always be closed. The pool was clean and gorgeous. This is not the place to stay if you want a luxury-style retreat. If you're just need a place to lay your head, this place is adequate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sunrise, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

If your looking for luxury, look elsewere. Bed was very uncomfortable. I felt every spring. one windows had no curtain. the carpet was dirty and ants were all over the refrigerator. I wont be going back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Surf Club Hotel? Share your experiences!