“If it were a kennel, I wouldn't leave my dog.” 1 of 5 stars

Surf Club Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4700 North State Route A1A, Vero Beach, FL 32963   |
Ranked #19 of 26 Hotels in Vero Beach
Port Clinton, Ohio
“If it were a kennel, I wouldn't leave my dog.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is a beautiful location, but the hotel is run down and worse then our local kennel. The ceiling is hanging down away from the studs. We have a chain to lock the door, but it doesn't hook to anything. The water is the color of tea. The furniture is old and worn. The air conditioner makes noise, but is not working. There are no amenities other than ice. They do have packets of coffee in the room, but no cream or sugar packets. I tried to open a drawer to find the telephone book, and the handle pulled out. Rooms for pets have no bedspreads. There is rust and mold on the walls. The parking lot is dark, no working lights. They run your credit card when you check in. I suspect it's because some would not want to pay at all. I believe they use to serve food and have buffets, but there was no evidence that they still offered these services

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Riverview, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I'm a Florida native, I travel to different beaches often and stay for a few nights. My husband took me here when he proposed to me so, I of course enjoyed our stay there. We spent majority of our time out in the water and we enjoyed being able to have a beautiful view of the ocean for way less than most luxury hotels on the beach. With that being said, it is very old. I'm a little picky when it comes to staying in hotels because the thought of staying somewhere that isn't clean terrifies me. The room was clean and the layout was cute but, there was a strong, musty, moldy smell that sometimes made me nauseous (I have a very sensitive nose and stomach though). The paint was chipping on the walls outside and the balcony railings were completely rusted. The bed wasn't comfortable, we didn't use the kitchen because I didn't feel comfortable with it, the air unit puts out a very bad smell which also added to me feeling sick to my stomach. I used my own blankets when it was time to go to bed. The good part was the view and the price. If you are planning on spending majority of your time in the water and you're not looking for luxury then, this is the place for you. If you have a sensitive stomach to smells and you're a germ freak, I don't recommend it. I think this place just needs a bit of a makeover and it would be perfect for mini getaways. A brand new coat of paint, new carpets and/or air units would help tremendously. We probably will never stay here again. Our stay was terrific but, that was mostly because we got engaged. :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The hotel is older and it shows, everywhere. Many fixtures were rusted, the doors were run down, there's peeling paint, corners full of years of what-not, and dated decor. With that said, the room was actually clean. I was most worried what the bathroom would look like but it was clean and had no issues. There was a refrigerator and microwave in the room. There was a sketchy-looking coffer maker but the cord could reach the outlet (LOL) when sitting on the counter. The bed seemed hard, but I slept soundly with no complaints.

Staff was friendly and accommodating and they have free wi-fi! They say there's a restaurant but it seemed to always be closed. The pool was clean and gorgeous. This is not the place to stay if you want a luxury-style retreat. If you're just need a place to lay your head, this place is adequate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sunrise, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

If your looking for luxury, look elsewere. Bed was very uncomfortable. I felt every spring. one windows had no curtain. the carpet was dirty and ants were all over the refrigerator. I wont be going back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Vero Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

if u r on vacation, it's not the best but for the price and the location it is awesome! Accommodations are lacking and I understand it is being renovated and they didn't finish so I am sure it will be better soon. I will go again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
New Castle, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Well we checked in easy enough, we requested room 412 on the corner. I really wanted the other corner near the pool but i couldn't figure out what room # that would be so, here we r with a great view of the ocean! The next day was Friday and it was beautiful out so we went to the beach, we used their beach chairs that were already set up on the beach , they were very comfortable,it does not seeem like they take care of these chairs because during the storm they just sat there and the beach tent was folded up with sand on top of it like it had been there for quite awhile. The ocean was cold to me and it gets steep real quick. I had no idea this was going to be the case we were just on the west coast of florida for 3 weeks and the gulf was 89 deg. anyway, I went in up to my knees thats it. The storm started to come in on Sat. so we couldn't do much it rained so hard it came in the window facing the ocean. Not the hotels fault but we had refrigerator issues, they replaced the refrig. it took a while for it to get cold. The hotel needs work! I love the view more than not liking this place. I am glad the rate was good and i would stay there again. Our room had carpeting so i guess that was 1 of the older rooms but thank god it did have that because we would have been flooded out if it were a tile floor. The bed was fine a king that was harder than home but i slept good The pool was fine, no issues there. It rained so hard that after a couple of days our room door would not close we reported this to the office and someone came up but we had an appointment so we left him fixing the door,he did a good job shutting the door but we had a hard time closing it after that also. we noticed it didn't seem like it was that secure at all before this rain either. I hope they fix this place up alittle because it is hard to find hotels along this stretch of beach they are all condos. I think we will give this place 1 more try.

Room Tip: i think for a good view the 4th floor is great (top floor)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

looks great from the picture,~the hotel needs a major face lift.plastic on torn down windows,pool was dirty,seems like,and smells like a funeral home.beach was ok.very run down and dirty.it seemed like a ghost hotel.balconies had chipped concrete,rust ,and seemed unstable.If we had not traveled 8 hours i would have continued to look for another hotel.only condos surrounding.so not much else to choose from in the immediate area.:(

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Surf Club Hotel? Share your experiences!