“A WASTE OF MONEY” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 26 hotels in Vero Beach
Sunrise, Florida
“A WASTE OF MONEY”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

If your looking for luxury, look elsewere. Bed was very uncomfortable. I felt every spring. one windows had no curtain. the carpet was dirty and ants were all over the refrigerator. I wont be going back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

192 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Vero Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

if u r on vacation, it's not the best but for the price and the location it is awesome! Accommodations are lacking and I understand it is being renovated and they didn't finish so I am sure it will be better soon. I will go again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
New Castle, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Well we checked in easy enough, we requested room 412 on the corner. I really wanted the other corner near the pool but i couldn't figure out what room # that would be so, here we r with a great view of the ocean! The next day was Friday and it was beautiful out so we went to the beach, we used their beach chairs that were already set up on the beach , they were very comfortable,it does not seeem like they take care of these chairs because during the storm they just sat there and the beach tent was folded up with sand on top of it like it had been there for quite awhile. The ocean was cold to me and it gets steep real quick. I had no idea this was going to be the case we were just on the west coast of florida for 3 weeks and the gulf was 89 deg. anyway, I went in up to my knees thats it. The storm started to come in on Sat. so we couldn't do much it rained so hard it came in the window facing the ocean. Not the hotels fault but we had refrigerator issues, they replaced the refrig. it took a while for it to get cold. The hotel needs work! I love the view more than not liking this place. I am glad the rate was good and i would stay there again. Our room had carpeting so i guess that was 1 of the older rooms but thank god it did have that because we would have been flooded out if it were a tile floor. The bed was fine a king that was harder than home but i slept good The pool was fine, no issues there. It rained so hard that after a couple of days our room door would not close we reported this to the office and someone came up but we had an appointment so we left him fixing the door,he did a good job shutting the door but we had a hard time closing it after that also. we noticed it didn't seem like it was that secure at all before this rain either. I hope they fix this place up alittle because it is hard to find hotels along this stretch of beach they are all condos. I think we will give this place 1 more try.

Room Tip: i think for a good view the 4th floor is great (top floor)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

looks great from the picture,~the hotel needs a major face lift.plastic on torn down windows,pool was dirty,seems like,and smells like a funeral home.beach was ok.very run down and dirty.it seemed like a ghost hotel.balconies had chipped concrete,rust ,and seemed unstable.If we had not traveled 8 hours i would have continued to look for another hotel.only condos surrounding.so not much else to choose from in the immediate area.:(

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

This hotel came personally recommended by a coworker. Had I read the reviews I probably wouldn't have stayed. HOWEVER, it was wonderful and an answer to a much needed mini vacation away with the family. First, I was worried about arriving early...no problem, waited 10 minutes while they finished a room and they adjusted. They noticed we had kids so asked if we would rather be poolside and on bottom floor. Our room was on first floor towards front of hotel. The room was clean. There were no signs of bugs (as I have read in other reviews) that are actually common to florida and especially beach side. I felt safe in leaving towel in door so kids could go in and out to get a snack or drink from the firdge (that was in perfect working order). The atmosphere was wonderful and friendly. Other guests interacted and was a great environment for the kids to play. We met several other families and socialized. There are a couple of restauraunts just a 1.3 mile walk along the beach. We did this twice for dinner and my husband did it for breakfast once. At one of them kids eat free on Thursday and they had spongebob and bounce houses set up. There was a market store just across the street on the corner. It was a bit pricey but we made do. Next time (and there will be a next time) we will just stop at publix on our wasy into town. Overall the stay was fabulious. Although we couldnt open windows to hear the ocean each morning i did wake up to hearing the waves. The hotel is older but it is obvious the owners are working on that. Whatever we needed it was fixed. my boys and husband needed tv to go to sleep and of course they needed the remote, LOL. It needed reprogrammed and housekeeping did it as soon as we asked. If you are looking for a peaceful getaway where you can just relax an not worry about what is at home or even whether your kids are doing something wrong this is the place for you. Pool is in great condition and maintained ( I am a certified lifeguard, INSTR, and pool manager). Highly recommend unless you are expecting the Hilton, if you are, go there!!!!

Room Tip: pool does not have specific hours and with people going in and out to the beach if you are an early...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Pulled up expecting older hotel and right. First room we were put in kinda gross dead roach in bathroom, tub faucet didn't work and then a live roach crawled across floor. We were switched to a non carpeted room which just made it easier to see if there were any bugs. Then didn't discover til the morning water for tub or shower didn't even turn on. Got money back for following night we we going to stay and changed to double tree in melbourne which was amazingly nice. Should of got money back for night stayed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Chillicothe, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Possitive things first- location, location, location. The hotel is located right on the beach and far enough away from the busy part of Vero Beach to enjoy your visit without a lot of noise. The pool is very nice as well. Housekeeping did a good job keeping our room clean. There's a Publix grocery close by as well as a CVS for those things you may have forgotten. The staff was very friendly and check in and check out was quick. Ok now for the not so good- it is very difficult to find a hotel just based on internet pictures and a few comments without choosing something you are disappointed with. This was my experience anyway. I had read the reviews that this was an older hotel and I was ok with that. However, the room had a smell as soon as you walked in. I'm not sure if it was the smell of mold (I didn't see any) or if it was the smell from the old furnature. It wasn't pleasant whatever it was. The shower heads hardly allowed water to come out. A simple fix that would go a long way for someone staying there. We had to put a towel in the bottom of the refigerator due to the freezer that was frozen over leaking. We just put stuff in a baggy so it didn't get wet. We rented two ajoining rooms for our families needs. My biggest concern was that the lock on the rooms did not seem secure at all. When the wind blew the door would rattle because the lock was not tight. The chain lock did not make me feel any better. This again seems like an easy fix to change out locks including a dead bolt and something more secure than a chain lock. The security lights located in the parking lots much just be for looks because NONE of them worked. We tried to park in the first 4 parking spots closest to the hotel to get some of the light from the lights outside the rooms. I really wanted to love this place. My family has waited almost 10 years to come to Florida for a vacation. I reseached for months for reasonable prices on hotels. I don't think that this hotel met my expectations :(

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Surf Club Hotel? Share your experiences!