“First family vacation to Florida” 2 of 5 stars

Surf Club Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4700 North State Route A1A, Vero Beach, FL 32963   |
Ranked #19 of 26 hotels in Vero Beach
Chillicothe, Ohio
“First family vacation to Florida”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Possitive things first- location, location, location. The hotel is located right on the beach and far enough away from the busy part of Vero Beach to enjoy your visit without a lot of noise. The pool is very nice as well. Housekeeping did a good job keeping our room clean. There's a Publix grocery close by as well as a CVS for those things you may have forgotten. The staff was very friendly and check in and check out was quick. Ok now for the not so good- it is very difficult to find a hotel just based on internet pictures and a few comments without choosing something you are disappointed with. This was my experience anyway. I had read the reviews that this was an older hotel and I was ok with that. However, the room had a smell as soon as you walked in. I'm not sure if it was the smell of mold (I didn't see any) or if it was the smell from the old furnature. It wasn't pleasant whatever it was. The shower heads hardly allowed water to come out. A simple fix that would go a long way for someone staying there. We had to put a towel in the bottom of the refigerator due to the freezer that was frozen over leaking. We just put stuff in a baggy so it didn't get wet. We rented two ajoining rooms for our families needs. My biggest concern was that the lock on the rooms did not seem secure at all. When the wind blew the door would rattle because the lock was not tight. The chain lock did not make me feel any better. This again seems like an easy fix to change out locks including a dead bolt and something more secure than a chain lock. The security lights located in the parking lots much just be for looks because NONE of them worked. We tried to park in the first 4 parking spots closest to the hotel to get some of the light from the lights outside the rooms. I really wanted to love this place. My family has waited almost 10 years to come to Florida for a vacation. I reseached for months for reasonable prices on hotels. I don't think that this hotel met my expectations :(

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

192 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Bradenton, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I signed up with Travelocity and booked a two night stay a the Surf Club Hotel in Vero Beach, Florida this past weekend. I read that they accepted pets, which is good for me. I also viewed the photos of the hotel and was excited that they are right on the beach. Well, I knew right off the bat that this was not going to be good, when I walked into the lobby and it smelled moldy. I also noticed that the interior of the building was in pretty bad shape. I went to my room which was located right across from the pool. The furniture was beat up,there was a handle missing from the bedside table, there were holes in the baseboards. I paid $125 a night for this place and was very disappointed! They do not have a restaurant or bar, and no snack machines anywhere. They do open a few tables poolside for a meal, but only accept cash or checks. The entire place looked like it hadn't been taken care of in years. So, this is just a heads up!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed here at the end of April.

I would have loved to give a higher rating, because the staff was very friendly, but the hotel is just in very poor condition. I would agree with p s p's review below. My guess is that the hotel was built in the 1970s and has never been renovated. The rooms are dirty, stained coaches and rugs, the beds are lumpy, the AC doesn't work well enough to cool the room, and despite the fact that I had 2 queen beds for just me, I'm positive that I didn't invite the 2 cockroaches in the room.

It's too bad, because the hotel is located right on the beach and in a nice area in Vero Beach. However, it didn't justify the $175 rate that I paid for a hotel that was empty at that time of year (entering off-season in Florida).

It's too bad, because if they renovated the hotel and made it a nice 3 star hotel, they could justify a rate of $250 a night in-season based on the location, but not as it is.

They are however, Pet-Friendly, which is a plus, and another reason why they didn't get 1 star. There is a long walking/biking/jogging path across the street where you can exercise your dog.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
scott valley
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Beautiful location but owners have not maintained the building -- elevators where too scarey so got a little exercise using the stairs(no biggy) The bummer was the ac was sub standard, the fridge in the room had a little freezer that was completely frosted in and the fridge didn't keep things very cool. The beds where lumpy so with the no ac, not a good night sleep. The bar and restaurant are closed and the lobby seems to be used for some fundamentalist christian services (and the rooms surely had a lot of pamphlets about said religion!) Iron, ironing board, hair dryer, fridge and microwave all needed to be requested (again, no biggy ) but when they were not in the room when checking in, management was very unresponsive , saying they'd have them there by the next morning. That does not cut the mustard for me. The saving 'grace' at this place is the price -- yes, you get what you pay for. I go to this area to see a parent in assisted living so it is not business trip and certainly not a vacation! Oh, one other nice thing -- the pool and the most excellent beach access

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
, Director of Sales at Surf Club Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
We thank you for your visit to the Surf Club hotel and for taking the time to respond to your stay. It’s great to hear that you did enjoy the beach amenities and excellent beach access. On another note, we do admit that we are an older hotel and we are trying to make updates as soon as possible. I do regret that your entire trip was not what you expected it to be. If I may add one additional note, I would like to say that we do have our elevators inspected on a monthly basis; they are very safe to ride in. Thank you again for your review… staff @ the Surf Club.
Winter Haven, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Checked in on Friday before Memorial day. Arrived a bit early and they allowed me to check in no problem. We had a baby with us and they were flexible and gave us a room poolside first floor to make it easier for the young parents. Room was clean, any problems we had or questions were immediately taken care of with no issues. We Weren't too concerned about the appointments of the room other than an A/C that works well and a warm shower in the evening. We had both! We spent very little time in our room and the beds are not the best so If your looking for luxury then look elsewhere. if your looking for a getaway,to relax, and enjoy then this is the place. Restaurant poolside was very good no complaints. the pool area is wonderful and the hotel is very convenient for families. the beach is right there, private access. Hotel is an old place but I felt comfortable, secure and relaxed. They had a mini fridge, and coffee pot in our standard room too. We had a tile floor room and didnt have any problems with slippage but I do see how it could easily happen. The staff was pleasant, from the front desk to the necessary service people. The pool was wonderful too. Parking is easily accessible to all rooms, and the view is gorgeous. The hotel is in a really nice area of Vero Beach and I felt very secure any where I was on the property. Walking distance to a little shopping section, as well as other unique restaurants. Short driving distance over the bridge to grocery store and broader shopping and dining options. I will return to the Surf Club hotel in Vero!

Room Tip: 2nd floor and up, close to stairs have a better view of the ocean. Pool side suggested if you have...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
, Director of Sales at Surf Club Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
We thank you for visiting us at the Surf Club Hotel. It’s great to hear that you had a pleasant stay and I know that your reply will affirm on a positive note for others who are searching for a place to stay. Again, thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a favorable review.
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I marked this average, but in my mind it's excellent if it's what your searching for, you've researched it and know what to expect when you get there. The hotel is an older place, weathered and worn as far as the building and rooms. The pool, decking and furnishings were very nice as well as the proximity to the beach. Interesting that it has a church in the front part of the hotel... The room's were average -*caution*, many rooms have plain ceramic tile floors (plain as in no texture and smooth as glass). Kids are guaranteed to slip and fall especially if coming in wet (and mine did slip and fall). I believe my rate included the fridge/microwave but I think a fridge/microwave is in every room to begin with. I was a little confused about that part when booking the stay. Parking and beach access were fabulous. The other guests were nice - all were very laid back. Some obvious couples, small groups of friends, families with children etc. Appeared that there were some of each type there. Expedia told me there were only two rooms left and a few minutes later, they said "uh oh, now there's only one room left". Must have been a sales tactic - stupid me. When I arrived the place was NOT sold out and staff let me check in very early and check out around 1pm. Again, very laid back place and nice for what it is. I think it may be our new "special place".

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

Our room was smelling like chemicals when we went in. Even after letting the door open for an hour, we couldn't get rid of the smell. Everything in the room is old, carpet is sticky. Rooms were not very clean, we were a bit disgusted during our stay. Shower was not working properly. Also, we didn't like the fact that rooms are such that the windows face towards an aisle so other guests can look into your room if they walk by. We would never go again.

Stuff was friendly though, beach is nice too.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Surf Club Hotel? Share your experiences!