“Loved the view” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 26 Hotels in Vero Beach
Miami
“Loved the view”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel for several years. There are new owners and new management now. In days past even though the room was a little old, damp and musty the ocean view and nightlife made you forget about those minor inconveniences.

Recently while I waited to check in the general manager and sales manager bickered with the desk clerk till I thought she was going to start crying. After enduring this for about five minutes, along with the growing line behind me, both of the managers turned their back on me and left the poor young lady to wait on me. I presented a valid contract for my stay and the general manager was summoned to check me in. I was given a room and as I was on business went on my way.

My office contacted me about a half hour later and I was told to go down to the office to talk with the sales manager. The sales manager wanted an original copy of our agreement which was immediately faxed to her. Everything was in order, but the sales manager got into an argument with the general manager and did not want to honor our agreement. All of this again was happening in front of a lobby full of guests. I said that I couldn't believe that Holiday Inn wasn't going to honor our contract. At this point I was told that this was not a Holiday Inn but that it was Oceanside Properties. They told me to come back at four o'clock and it would be resolved. I left on business and came back at four and both managers had left and my room would not open. I went to the front office and got a new key. When I got back to the room the phone rang immediately it was the sales manager and I was asked to come back down to the lobby which was very busy at this point.

I was informed that this was no longer a Holiday Inn and that they were not going to honor my prepaid room. I was so embarrassed in front of all of those people in the lobby. I said, " it says Holiday Inn on the sign outside," and they told me well I'm sorry but you are wrong it's now Oceanside Properties. At this point I had wasted half of the day trying to check in and get some work done and I told them to forget it and that I would find another Holiday Inn. Then they told me that I could stay the night, but would have to check out in the morning. As I left I could hear the two managers snickering about it.

They knocked on my door at six in the morning to remind me to check out. My company has since demanded a refund and now will have to turn this into collections. My day was wasted with this drama and I did check out and found a great hotel, not a Holiday Inn or whatever they are calling themselves today. I would recommend this place, but feel that it is very overpriced and poorly managed. The restaurant which is a separate entity was excellent.

Stayed October 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

This hotel seems to be the only one in Vero on the beach. My advise is go to another town north or south to enjoy the beach and ocean.
There have been some hurricanes in the past years and it seems as if Holiday Inn didn't want to bother refurbishing. Lots of mildew and I am from FL. Your clothes and suitcase have to be air dried when you leave.
Rust and peeling paint everywhere. Tub looked like it could use some heavy bleaching.
They at least triple sheet the bed and it was comfortable.
If you can ignore all of that, the view of the ocean and listening to the waves are just wonderful and relaxing.

So, keep the lights low and bring air freshener with you.

BTW, Ocean Grill is more upscale -- great seafood -- across the street.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
EVERGREEN, CO.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2007

I stayed in Room 340 of the Holiday Inn Beachside for one very uncomfortable evening on September 1st 2007. My wife and I just wanted a clean ocean front room. We came down for a family gathering from Colorado and thought to break away for one night so at lease we could say we came to Florida and went to the beach.

We paid $199 which I think is a bend me over price considering what you get, musty room (although in Florida I understand this) but we got eaten up by bed bugs, saw some of the largest roaches in a long time (none in the room but the hallways and stairwells at night).

Even the grounds were in crap shape, grass was almost dead, they did have platforms on the almost dead grass with loungers which my wife and I decided to partake of. The only problem is someone the night before some had puked on the grass and wow, what a smell. Also, Holiday Inn please have someone clean up every now and then?

Our room was ocean front, but with no screens on the door, not sure I would leave it open anyway. Lots of plaster coming down on the veranda. Did I say bed bugs?

On the positive, Mulligan's restaurant and bar was very nice with a nice Key West beer. Down the beach was also a nice rustic place called the driftwood, with nice drinks, food and service.

Vero Beach is a nice clean town with nice places to shop and a nice beach, too bad the Holiday Inn doesn't put some of the highway robbery money they get from their customers into the place. This is another reasone why you really have to be carefull when it comes to a Holiday Inn. This place I would run away and run fast.

The room is drab and old, with the smell of mildew in the sheets and pillows. The mattress is lumpy and uncomfortable, and I did not sleep a wink. All in all, an unpleasant and uncomfortable experience, nice beach though.

• Liked — Nice bar
  • Disliked — Bed bugs
  • Stayed August 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Monmouth County NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

Right on the beach which was great. If you are going to stay here, get an ocean view; very pretty, and you are also very close to the pool. There are large ants that jump outside, but I only experienced that once at night outside the slider. If you stay on bottom floor you do not get a balcony, however when staying beach side on the bottom floor you do get a canopy lay out thing. I am sorry, I just do not know the correct term for it. We went just last week - July 07- VERY hot, so it was nice to have a shelter from the sun while outside. I hardly ever burned, and I burned there with a sunscreen of 60, so wear a hat too.

Only issue with hotel was room service stops at about 10:00pm, and I had to call twice to ask for fresh towels. Also their bars last call is 1:00 AM.

Very close to Ocean Grill - best place we eat while there- walking distance too! They have shops to the left, but everything closes early, and most shops are not open on Sundays.

All in all, a nice stay. Other than the beach and pool not too much to do. Great for a short stay or place to stay while visiting relatives.

Stayed July 2007
Boca Raton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

My wife and I just had a wonderful experience at this Holiday Inn. We stayed in room 336, Ocean View and we booked via the Internet/ Non Cancellattion for $160 night. Our room was clean, extremely comfortable and overlooked the beach with a great view. We've been to Vero before (live in Boca) but the location of this hotel is superb in what Vero has to offer, albeit lovely but limited.

The only negatives were: the young lady at the desk thought a smile and a "gee, you're room's not ready yet" was acceptable twice to two tired, sweating adults who had been on the road for two hours , I had to tell her to call Housekeeping (to no avail); the "smoking floor" obviously was directly below us, and if you are in #336, look out for scalding water in the shower!

On the whole, to those who weren't happy with the view, room, etc, you get what you pay for and this is still somewhat "old Florida so you need to grasp the "big picture."

Stayed July 2007
marathon, florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

I had to stay at the HOliday Inn at Vero Beach for business in the area; my husband accompanied me. The room we were given was an upgrade (poolside) which was okay. The shower didn't work which we found out only after we had unpacked and needed to shower to go out for dinner. They switched our rooms which meant everything had to get packed up and moved. For our "troubles" we were given a chit for a free drink. Being in AA, that meant little to me, but it was a gesture on their part.

The pool water was cloudy and the coffee in the lobby and in the room not very good.

Aurora at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. I think the staff was kind.
The place needs a facelift.

• Liked — on the ocean
  • Disliked — pool was cloudy; shower didn't work; needed to be moved to another room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

Reserved the cheapest room ($131 per night with advance payment) which was streetside. Upon check in, I asked about upgrades and was moved to poolside at no additional charge.

This hotel is a basic, older Holiday Inn. It is right on the beach and close to shopping and restaurants. The staff was courteous and helpful. The rooms have been updated a bit with new bedding and optional types of pillows.

• Liked — Beachfront
  • Disliked — Generally older hotel
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vero Beach - Oceanside? Share your experiences!