“Excellent location great service and good food!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 26 hotels in Vero Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto
“Excellent location great service and good food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The bad:
We stayed at this resort for 2 nights and as some have experienced, in a room without a view. Literally. None. Zero. Nada. The (only) tiny window overlooked the hallway of the 4th floor - north wing. No daylight entered our room at all which in reality was kind of strange. Imagine a basement apartment with no windows. In addition, we had a lot of wall vibration in this room which I imagine had something to do with the restaurant exhaust/ventilation system. Fortunately it would eventually be shutdown around 1-2am. Unfortunately it would startup again prior to breakfast time 5-6am.
I would blame all of this squarely on the architect/designer of this structure. VERY poor building design, building floor plan and construction. IF ever a fire broke out immediately outside the door to the room...no alternate exit (i.e. balcony, secondary window) Hard to believe local building codes allow this.

The good:
None of the above has anything to do with hotel staff or management.
We experienced excellent service from the valet to the front desk to poolside & restaurant wait staff. Customer service at this hotel is top notch. We had no issues at all with the service, quality of food, cleanliness of rooms, complimentary towels etc. The location is awesome, heated pool and spa was very clean and well maintained.

In summary:
We would definitely return to this hotel. The only reason for not giving 5 circles (excellent) was the odd room. Having said that we did get a TERRIFIC bargain. I suppose the room rate was appropriate for the accommodations (comparatively speaking)
At checkout we mentioned our surprise that the room had no daylight and were told these rooms are booked in bulk by third-party travel sites. Next time we could call after booking and try upgrading to a room with a view.
...Although I still can't get my head around the idea of building a boutique hotel/spa on the beach, with great food, excellent customer service, valet parking...yet offer rooms that have no view to the outside world. Not even daylight?? Maybe the designer/s thought guests would travel with their servants??

Room Tip: Watch out for rooms with only a single window that overlook interior hallways.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
duncan c, General Manager at Vero Beach Hotel & Spa - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Ouch so the room was not a hit- I am sorry for this - good news is you had a great stay and enjoyed the facilities thanks for staying with us

772 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
York, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I spent a wonderful vacation at this hotel. It is right on the beach and has a great pool. The entire staff work hard to make guests comfortable and at ease. There is a friendly and helpful consierge and I was impressed that people who work there remembered our names. The spa is impressive. Our suite was well taken care of and the cleaning staff were well trained and every wish we had was granted. They provided us with non alergenic pillows and comforters. The only problem I can think of is that the restaurant has a seasonal menu that didn't change during the time we were there.Fortunately there are some wonderful restaurants withing walking distance from the hotel. Overall I'd give this hotel an A rating. I will return in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I would have to get really picky to find fault with this hotel's facilities. The rooms are large, the furniture is comfortable, it's clean and light and has those cool bathrooms with a glass wall (and shutter!). The only complaint I could make about my room is that the down comforter had been washed but not fluffed, so all the down was clumped into balls that sat like grapefruits on top of me, serving no useful purpose. I needed a blanket to stay warm. I'm sure the hotel would have fixed this had I mentioned it to them but I was only there two nights and it really didn't matter.

What did matter was that a number of people in my group arrived to discover mixed-up and non-existent reservations. The hotel was sold out so it was a major problem for those who arrived late and did not have rooms. I see that other reviewers have had the same problem, so you should definitely confirm and reconfirm, especially if you have a group!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This seaside resort was beautiful. The room itself is wonderfully decorated with one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.

The one problem and a considerable problem at that, is this is a pet friendly hotel. I was unaware of this detail upon selecting this property and the front desk failed to inform me. At 11:30 pm the neighboring rooms dog began barking for what seemed an endless evening. The front desk was alerted and finally someone took care of the noise. This was as annoying as screaming college students in a Vegas room. Upon check out I mentioned the problem to the front desk and the only satisfaction I received was that next time I should ask for the pet free floor.

Room Tip: If you don't have a pet, demand the no pet floor unless you like to gamble with your high priced...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

By all accounts the facilities are excellent here. I was here for three days for a business conference. There was much confusion with our group's reservations, which may not have been the hotel's fault, but I ended up with a top-floor two-bedroom suite--just for me--while other colleagues who shared had much smaller rooms. I always judge a hotel first on the quality of the bed, and here the Vero Beach Hotel gets a high rating--very comfortable. There was a very nice balcony overlooking the pool and over to the ocean. The bathroom had both a tub and a separate shower with strong pressure and draining--not always the case in even the best hotels. Initially, the telephones were not working in my suite, and I eventually discovered that the phone in the unused second bedroom had been knocked slightly off the hook. Room service dinner upon my arrival was very good.

The meeting facilities were also quite nice, with conference rooms opening out onto an ocean-facing plaza which was used during breaks and for break-out sessions. Catered breakfasts and lunches for the meeting were also very good. Service workers seemed very attentive.

The downside is that for those traveling from around the country, arriving in Orlando meant driving nearly two hours in heavy traffic, and there were few options other than renting a car. Melbourne airport is nearer but with fewer airline/flight options. The hotel also requires valet parking at $12+ extra per night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hershey, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This was our first trip to Vero Beach, and we went with the high ratings from Trip Advisor in choosing this hotel. Our expectations were exceeded! We had Room 402 which is listed as a Studio Suite Ocean Front. When we checked in and were told our requested upgrade was not available, we were surprised when the desk clerk told us not to worry, this was the best room in the entire hotel. Well, although we couldn't experience any other rooms, we are certainly inclined to believe her. This room is fantastic! Top floor, wrap-around porch, king bed, dining room, beautiful bath, step down to livingroom - wow! We will ask for this room when we return. Everyone in the hotel is very friendly and accomodating. We found the guests to be mostly adults and 40+. The pool is very nice, and the ocean beach has umbrellas and lounge chairs available. Valet parking is nice, and our car was always available very quickly after asking. We had drinks and light lunch in Heaton's Reef by the pool. The bartender was very friendly. Only had breakfast in Cobalt, but it was great with excellent service. We walked down to Mulligan"s for dinner one night and sat outside near the fire pit - great atmosphere.

Our only issue - the room next to ours was accessible through an adjoining door. We could hear everything that went on in that room from telephone conversations to bathroom use. If you are a light sleeper, you may want a different room. Still, we loved everything else about this property and would not reduce the rating for this one issue.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Pros- central, oceanfront location. Restaurant, bars, and fire pits are oceanfront. daily wine hour for guests is good place for sharing Vero restaurant ideas etc. Dog friendly with no fees. covered balconies on every room.

Cons- Rooms that are not direct oceanfront have quite limited ocean view. Room configurations and sizes for 1 BD suite are smaller than other comparable places. kitchens have very limited tools for actual cooking- no sharp knife, place mats, or ice cream scoop. Decor is aging. Valet parking is required because of such limited space at the hotel.

Areas for improvement- move the comp. wine hour outside near the water to enjoy best time of day. Need larger TV in LR so you can see it well from the couch. Add table on balcony that is suitable for eating- plenty of space for it. Also, add lounge chair on balcony.

Best food in Vero- Lemon Tree for breakfast, Nino's for pizza, Amalfi's for Italian, Cobalt for happy hour specks sand their rock shrimp.

Room Tip: Direct oceanfront is by far the best.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Vero Beach Hotel & Spa - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!