“Enjoyed being able to bring our dogs” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Vero Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Apex, NC
“Enjoyed being able to bring our dogs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

My husband and I just got home from a wonderful 3 night stay at this hotel. When we first arrived they put us in a room with primarily a pool view, although there was a side deck that had an ocean view. I had asked for ocean view, and my husband complained. They were very accommodating and moved us to a room with a direct ocean view. Our ocean front room was spotless, very spacious, and had a wonderful view.

The hotel allows dogs and we brought our two Golden Retrievers. The staff was very welcoming and the concierge was helpful in finding dog friendly activities.

Local restrictions don’t allow dogs on the beach at or around the hotel, but we did find some beaches and hikes within driving distance that were dog friendly. There is also a dog park very close to the hotel with a huge unfenced area that also has access to the intercoastal waterway for swimming. Sebastian Inlet has some trails that allow dogs on leash, and Fort Pierce also has a half mile trail that allows dogs on leash. We also took a trip down to Jupiter Beach and enjoyed their dog friendly beach. There is a pet shop within walking distance (The Dashing Dog), and the dogs enjoyed a frozen yogurt treat after a romp on the beach at Walton Rocks near Fort Pierce (dogs can be off leash if well behaved at this beach).

Overall it was a very nice experience at a fabulous hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
duncan c, General Manager at Vero Beach Hotel & Spa - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
So Excited you folks had a great time here in Vero and the surrounding area! Is'nt this just perfect as you Kimpton love's our four legged friends among other guests and we are so happy you joined us. Hope to see you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

VERO Beach Hotel
Really a nice place. Nice large clean room. Food excellent.
We booked by internet. First an Last Name where mixed up. They answered that they are excited to see us. Wrong answer. We did got the impression they were not overly excited. The reception was like entering the army. First Name, last name birthdate e.t.c.
Internet did not work, nice but unsuccessful try to fix it. But what do you wane fix if they equipment is lousy? Safe did not work. Rooms are made after 2 PM 
It’s most likely the best place in town. We would book there again. But there is room for improvement. Try to be faire my suggestion.
Training:
The customer is the most important visitor in our premises
He is nor depending on us. We are depending on him.
He is not an interruption in our work; he is the purpose of it.
He is not an outsider in our business; he is the main part of it.
We are not doing him a favour by serving him,
he is doing us a favour by giving us an opportunity to do so!

Mahatma Gandhi

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
duncan c, General Manager at Vero Beach Hotel & Spa - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear WaltiBalti,

Thank you for staying with us. And we appreciate your valuable feedback (regarding our reception, internet service and the safes)... we will certainly share this with our teams! We hope to welcome you back.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I attended a wedding at this hotel and stayed here for 2 nights in two different rooms.
The first room was a beautiful and spacious 1 bedroom condo with 1.5 bath (these can actually be purchased) and the second room was a double twin bed with separate living space and a direct walkout to poolside.

If I ever come back to Vero Beach this is without a doubt the only place I will stay!
Very pricey but the rooms are so large that several people can split the cost if necessary.

Pros:

-gorgeous rooms!
-lovely property with outstanding views of the ocean
-excellent customer service
-we got room service and the breakfast was very good
-wedding ceremony was lovely and dinner selection made by the restaurant (salmon, steak, pork, etc) were very good
-nice "chill out" spot by the outdoor firepits on the restaurant patio overlooking ocean

Cons:

-hotel is divided into separate buildings so walking across the catwalks to your room can be a bit of a pain if you have a lot of luggage

-the restaurant/bar and fire pit area shuts down completely well before 12am which is annoying. Apparently there is an ordinance in the city (due to it being a retire enclave?) that requires this.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Greetings tharealist,

We are so happy to hear you had a nice time while attending a wedding at our property. We look forward to welcoming you back, the next time you are in the area!
Roxbury, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel in a great location. Every inch of the hotel is spotlessly clean. I did not find even one employee who was not genuinely pleasant and helpful. Our room overlooked the pool and the only drawback was the music from the poolside snack bar could get annoying. The prices are pretty high but in keeping with the location. We had a nice time and would recommend it to anyone interested.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mary S,

Thank you so much for your kind words, so happy you stayed and had a great time with us!
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We (myself, wife, 3 YO, and 1 YO) stayed at the hotel for three nights in November, as a prelude to a Disney visit. We took advantage of a great promotion through the Kimpton website, and splurged on an Ocean Front one bedroom. In short, we had a lovely time and the stay exceeded our expectations. We look forward to returning -- despite having to visit the hospital during our stay. The reasons why require a much longer review (see below) but they begin and end with the most exceptional personal service I have ever received in a hotel.

The service: we arrived like a pack of gypsies in our rented mini-van, with children, cheerios, and luggage spilling out the doors as we arrived at the valet (the hotel is valet parking only, but reasonable at $10 a day). The bellmen were courteous and efficient, making us feel welcome at an obviously upper-end hotel despite our rolling daycare center. The same was true at check-in. While our room was not ready initially (we were early), they pre-checked us in so we could go straight to the room once it was cleaned up. They also gave us a nice activity bucket with a shovel for our son to play on the beach. Once the room was ready (before posted check-in time), they called us on my mobile phone to let us know.

Once we got to the room, the crib we'd requested in advance was already there. The bellman then delivered everything quickly and did a good job explaining the features of the suite (the room was HUGE, with the biggest bathtub I've ever seen in a hotel, so this was more like a guided tour). Shortly after we unpacked, we realized our daughter's sippy cup must have rolled under the seat in the minivan. I called down to see about accessing the car to find it, but instead they asked me what I needed out of the car and in 5 minutes the cup was at our door. Later in the trip, our son scraped his toe and we called to see if they had any antibiotic ointment we might come get at the front desk. Again, within 5 minutes it was at our door.

But the service experience that cemented the hotel as exceptional happened our last night there, at about 1 AM on a Sunday morning. I'd had stomach pain all afternoon, which became severe around midnight (I later learned it was gall stones). I went down to the front desk, and asked them to call a taxi to take me to the emergency room. Given the hour it was going to be a long wait for a taxi, so the front desk manager spoke with the night bellman (a wonderful young man whose name escapes me -- wish I'd written it down), and the bellman graciously drove me to the ER (about 10 minutes away) in his personal car. The young man then kindly offered to come pick me up later that night if I happened to be discharged before my family (who stayed behind at the hotel) woke up. Sure enough I was discharged at 4:30 AM, but the taxi companies were closed. I made a quick call to the hotel and by 4:45 AM the bellman was back at the ER to bring me back to the hotel. When I arrived, they graciously agreed to significantly extend our checkout so that I could get some sleep before we checked out and drove on to Disney that afternoon. They did not have to do any of these things, but I will never forget that they did them and will be forever grateful to them for doing so.

Aside from the service, the hotel itself met all our expectations. Our ocean front 1 bedroom was gigantic, with a fully stocked and very functional kitchen that let us make most of our meals during our stay (we did eat at both hotel restaurants during our stay and greatly enjoyed them, particularly for breakfast). As noted by others the room is ocean front, but not necessarily ocean view, as the palm trees have grown up to the same level as the balcony. While the view isn't ideal, the palm trees provided an excellent natural wind-break that let us sit on the terrace comfortably even in high winds coming off the ocean. Our room was directly over the restaurant, but unlike others we didn't have any issues with noise coming up from below even though they had a large private event our first night.

In addition to our room, we greatly enjoyed the pool area. While it was small, the pool was very clear and clean and more than big enough for our four year old to explore. We also had fun at the public playground located on the same road as the hotel, about six blocks south, and at the ice cream parlor across the street from the playground. Between the hotel and the playground there were a number of restaurants that looked good, but with my stomach being off we didn't try any. Both my wife and I also had massages in the spa, which we greatly enjoyed. The spa itself is very small, however, with no steam bath or hot tum -- only an IR sauna that didn't work terribly well.

While we loved the hotel and will absolutely go back, there were a few other minor points that are worth noting. Sadly, the beach itself isn't quite as grand as we'd hoped from some of the pictures. It is clean and provides enough sand for some good sand castles, but is very narrow and drops off quickly at high tide. It looks like they've had significant erosion problems in recent storms. This obviously isn't something the hotel can control, and it didn't impact our stay (again our 4 year old built a castle that made him very happy), but if you are looking for a broad expanse of sand you won't get it here. The only other minor points are ones that the hotel can control, that we hope they'll address. They all relate to the bedding: first, in the master bedroom the down mattress pad appeared to have been washed too many times, and was so lumpy we had to take it off during our first night. The bed was plenty comfortable without it so we asked housekeeping to just leave it off. Second, the pillows on the master bed were too small -- almost square shaped. While they gave us 5 of them, that meant one of us was left with two. For side sleepers who like pillows between their knees, these weren't sufficient. Finally, the pull-out sofa in the living room was very comfortable as a sofa, but almost unusable as a bed. Fortunately our 4 year old was using it (he could spend the night sleeping on linoleum if needed), and he slept fine. But I would have found it impossible to sleep on.

So, we had a great stay despite some adversity. For a relaxing, pampered escape in a quiet beach town, I would highly recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: I didn't see any bad rooms at this hotel, other than their lowest class of room which appear to...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hello warthog,

I can not thank you enough for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. We value your feedback and will be sure to share your experience with our team, especially Jodeci, our overnight attendant that assisted you. We are all glad you are feeling better. And we look forward to welcoming you and your family back!
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My husband had business this week in Florida and I am so glad I came along to enjoy this WONDERFUL hotel!!
Melissa, who took our reservation and made sure we had THE best room. She was so helpful not just when we checked in but all week. This hotel is blessed to have her.
The pool bar/restaurant was great! Both Matt and Mike were the best!!
Cheryl at the spa was so good too!
The housekeeping staff went over and beyond to make sure our room was perfect.
When my husband is going to be in the Vero area again in 2013 I am sure going to ask to go along and stay at this fabulous hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear celeste1028,

Wow!! Sounds like you had a great stay! I will be sure to share your cheers with Melissa, Matt, Mike, Cheryl and the folks in Housekeeping! We look forward to welcoming you back!!
Wiltshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Although the hotel is in a very nice location it is the service that makes it really special . The staff are helpful and really go the extra mile to take care of guests. Maybe its unfair to single people out but David Friday was outstanding.
The room was bright and airy and furnished to a very high standard and the housekeeping was excellent.
My gripe are the extras given that it is not cheap to stay here in the first place. Valet parking is fine but should be optional and to be expected to pay $10 plus tax a day is just excessive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Melissa D, General Manager at Vero Beach Hotel & Spa - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Greetings psbnycb,

Thank you so much for staying with us! We will certainly share your great feedback with our teams! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Vero Beach Hotel & Spa - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!