“Classy, just like the Estefans...” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Florida Residents Offer
Ranked #4 of 26 hotels in Vero Beach
Miami, Florida
“Classy, just like the Estefans...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

In October or 2011, my girlfriend and I drove up to Vero Beach from Miami to spend a weekend at Costa d Este. I had heard of the place thru a friend and was looking to get away from the city’s hustle. I was also looking for a romantic getaway with my new girlfriend, a place where we can relax and get to know each other even better. A place where I could just arrive on Friday, park the car and not worry about a thing until Sunday. Where we could just forget about everything and concentrate solely on us. I found that and much more at Coste d Este. Upon our arrival, the Front Desk handled our check in with ease and even treated us to a couple of “mojitos” at the Cabana Bar. Just before heading to our room, James, the bartender made us the best “mojito” I’ve ever tasted, and that’s coming from a Cuban-American like myself. Then we headed to our room which was spectacular. The ocean view balcony was so relaxing, and the sound of the crashing waves gave us the tranquility I was looking for. There was no need for anything else: beautiful king size bed, bottle of champagne, some fruits from the restaurant, an ipod docking station which allowed me to play the special songs (yes some of Gloria Estefan’s classics) I downloaded just for the trip, and my beautiful girlfriend, a lawyer who was as impressed as she could possibly be. On our first night, we enjoyed a late dinner in the hotel restaurant called The Wave. We both shared the Mahi Mahi which was very good. On our second night, my Cuban girlfriend had the “Ropa Vieja” (shredded beef) which was just as good as her mother used to make it. I had the snapper which was amazing. But the most amazing experience was the Lobster Ceviche, DO NOT PASS THAT UP! Robyn, the restaurant manager, stopped by to greet us and was really cool. At 10pm, The Wave turns into “the club” with a DJ that made us dance the night away. In the mornings, we walked the town and had breakfast at “The Lemon Tree” which is a block away. It was sooo good, we went back a second time. The weather was lousy. But the truth is, being from Miami, we didn’t need the sun and we weren’t looking to jump in the beautiful pool. However, the beach was picture perfect: from strolling to collecting sea shells, we snapped photos that will last us a lifetime. The entire experience was first rate, and the service, from the front desk to our house keeper was first class, just like Gloria and Emilio Estefan.

Ed and Laly
Miami, FL.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
TAResponse, General Manager at Costa d'Este Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Dear Ed & Laly,

Your first word used to describe Costa in this post was "Classy". Thank you for such description. Gloria and Emilio wanted this place to be a hideaway, and a haven for those escaping the hustle of a large city.

I am very pleased that you and your girlfriend enjoyed the experience so much. I am glad to hear that the "Ropa Vieja" passed the "test" of your (I am sure) well trained taste buds in authentic Cuban food. The recipe was gleaned form the Estefan Kitchen cookbook, which recipes we use for all of the "Specialty" Cuban dishes served on the menu.

I cannot but wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the "breath taking" view of the ocean from the room, and the sound of the waves on the beach, so calming, so soothing.
Thank you again.

Please, come back as often as you wish. Many of our guests come in, park their cars, "hibernate" leave two or three days later refreshed and energized.

Best,

638 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
West Palm Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011 via mobile

The hotel is located right on the beach. It was very nicely renovated several years ago. It haa a modern decor with a Latin flair. The staff is professional and friendly. The service was great. Rooms were comfortable and clean. Food and drinks were excellent. My only complaint was that the pool was cold - probably should be heated in the fall. I would definitely return.

Dear Kalibr...,

Your direct and to the point description of your experience is refreshing, thank you. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the location, decor (the architects received an award of excellence for the design - good eye), the food & drinks, the friendly staff and service, and yes, a little Latin flair.

The pool is heated, I believe the heater was out that day - soooorrry! :-)

We hope you make Cost d'Este your "escape" place to relax and re-energize yourself after a long and hard week. Please visit as often as you wish. We welcome you.

Chrales
hilton head sc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is a really cool property in quaint Vero beach, FL. The service and vibe are very South beach. It is right on the beach and has all the amenities you would expect from a top notch boutique hotel. The rooms are very modern and nautical feeling. Great time of year to sleep with the door open and being lulled to sleep by the ocean. Cool!

Room Tip: King on the upper floors are great!
Dear bigyellow - :-)

Your description fits many a comment we received about Costa d'Este - A little SOBE. we like it, not all do. But, we as a staff of the resort would like to thank you for the post and are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

The sound of the waves is what many guests say they enjoy here at Costa. It is almost hypnotizing to just lay and listen. Good decription of the experience.

We hope you return to Costa very often. We welcome you.

northumberland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011 via mobile

Perfect location right on the beach.Perfect for a few days relaxation after a trip to Orlando as it is less than a 2 hour drive.Our only complaint was the location of our room .It was right next to the poolside bar where very loud live music was played at the weekend. It was supposed to finish at 11.30pm which to be fair it did but the noise from the bar continued well after that time.We were given 100 dollar compensation to use in the hotel but be warned before you book room 114 !

Dear Hillwill,

Thank you for your post. Room 114 has a great location, but close to where the action is on Friday and Saturday nights. I am pleased that our staff offered compensation for your incovenience. I also wanted to invite you back to stay in one of our rooms away from the pool deck for you to enjoy some peace and quiet.

Please call me and mention this post for a special rate.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

Best features are the great view from the ocean front rooms and check in service. We are budget travelers, so from this perspective, here’s what to expect (If you are a high end travel don’t bother to read my review):

Arrival – I requested an early check-in while making the reservations and placed a follow-up telephone call on my day of arrival. The Staff took every reasonable action to accommodate my request and called me back with a status. We did get the early check-in and couldn’t ask for better service than that.

Parking – Valet parking is about $10 - $15/day. Self-park is an option and there is no charge for it. When we arrived, the self-park lot was full. However a third of the overall Hotel parking lot was roped off for valet parking with about three cars in it. Since the self-park lot was full and we chose the self-park option, the hotel permitted us to have our car parked in the valet lot at no charge other than the expected tip.

Bell service – Normally for an overnight stay I really don’t need or want someone to handle my bags for me, but unless you are rude about it, you are more or “guided” into this service. The Bellman was excellent and although I really didn’t want this service, if you are going to stay at a hotel like this, you pay your tip and enjoy the service.

Accommodations - We stayed in the “Ocean Front King”. Excellent view. This was the sole reason we chose to stay a Costa d’Este. The room was furnished simply, nice and functional. Everything was very clean, all lights and fixtures were serviceable. Floors are an attractive tile, a little cold on the bare feet. The air conditioning worked great allowed degree settings, was very efficient and kept the room comfortable. Balcony was just large enough for two chairs and small table.

Sleeping – We stayed on a Friday night and were serenaded until sometime between 11-12pm by the DJ music rockin’ the deck below, consequently didn’t get to sleep until late. So be warned, if you are a light sleeper you may want to inquire about the DJ’s outside schedule for the night(s) that you plan to stay.

Smoking - There is no smoking in any room or on any balcony and a $250 charge if you are discovered violating this rule. As a cigar smoker I elected to smoke on the beach. Although the hotel permits smoking in a designated outdoor pool patio area, I didn’t smoke there as I did not want to impose my cigar smoke on the other non-smoking guests using that same area.

Amenities – Free mojito upon arrival, complimentary coffee in restaurant in the mornings, robes and slippers in room. You pay for everything else. There is a very small refrigerator in the room packed full of sodas, beer, wine, etc. Water is $6/bottle. Your credit card is charged $100 at check-in and credited back the deposit less what you consumed a few days after you check out.

Budget tips – My wife and I can’t afford to stay in places as expensive as Vero Beach, so we had to find a balance between paying for what we could afford and either doing without or working around the incidental costs. For a single night stay, we saved well over a $150-$200 by bringing our own cooler packed with brie cheese, French bread, coffee pot, coffee, cups etc. for breakfast and wine, beer, water, soda, rum etc. for the afternoon and evening. We could not afford to eat at the Wave, so for dinner our room afforded us a spectacular ocean view dining experience with an excellent tasting $20 pizza from Nino’s Italian Restaurant. Nino’s delivers, but it was discretely suggested that we pick up the order ourselves which we did. Nino’s is only a 2-3 minute walk South past the Driftwood Inn and Humiston Park. I called ahead [---] and was back in my room with the pizza 15 minutes after I left.

Summary – For us the hotel strengths were the ocean view and staff. Not sure what happened with the Staff during the last reviews for early Oct and my stay in late October, but on my weekend I had 5-star+ service (maybe Charles applied some leadership to the problem). Although I live only an hour away, I probably would not stay at the Costa d’Este again, mainly because it is out of my price league and the ban on smoking cigars on the balcony.

Dear Tom,

WOW! You sure wrote an extensive review of your visit to Costa d'Este Beach Resoret. I think that you went into great details to offer readers a good view of what to expect.

I wished you had tried the Wave Restaurant & Bar, where you would have found the food to be delicious, well priced and delivered with a friendly smile. Pizza is good, but Paella is better - authentic Paella that is. Don't miss out during your next visit. You may need to bring just a little extra cash for total relaxation and food enjoyment.

Cheers,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011 via mobile

Rooms: not to expected value&quality. Small and cramped hotel overall. Staff: generally rude. Restaurant: over priced for delivered presentation/not paying for great service. Disappointing overall.

• Stayed October 2011
TAResponse, General Manager at Costa d'Este Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2011
Dear Corry,

I am quite disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay at Costa, and please allow me to offer my sincere apology for your experience. It appears from your comments that the room you stayed in was not large enough to your liking. So, I am offering you to return for a visit and I will be happy to upgrade you to one of our Ocean Front Rooms. You may call me directly for this offer.

While I am not able to change the experience you had, I can act on your comment that the staff was "rude". We truly get hundreds of compliments on our staff, and can assure you this is not the norm. So please accept my apology. I promise in your return visit yhou will have an experience you will not soon forget.

Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

My husband and I checked in to the Costa d'Este Beach Resort on a Saturday evening at 9.45pm for what I thought would be an excellent week-end.
On opening the room, the overwhelming smell of cat urine hit us in the face. ( Having cats we know the smell! )
I immediately went down to the front desk to demand a new room and to be told in a defensive tone that because we had checked in last there was nothing available. They sent up housekeeping who immediately set to work dusting!! I explained and even found the source of the urine and she sprayed some substance in the corner and left. Car urine odor does not go away, so I demanded to speak to the manager and was told there was no-one on duty, even though there was a wedding in full swing. That didn't sit well with me so I went down again to the desk and lo and behold a manager appeared! I informed her that she had to move us to another hotel immediately. She handled the situation in a very courteous and professional manner and found a new hotel for us and even drove us.
I won't try to stay there again. The staff with the exception of the manager were very unhelpful.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Costa d'Este Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!