The world needs more visionaries like Waldo Sexton, who created Driftwood Lodge on Vero Beach back in the hard times of the 1930s.For us, a family of Kiwi travellers, it was a wonderful relief from the sterile 5* star family rooms we had encountered in hotels on our Florida road trip.
Sadly ,Driftwood nowdays is also a condominium group but insist on staying in the old part of the hotel and you will be in for a treat. Character abounds.
Our room 231,had lovely old wood panelling,a library balcony(with a double bed-perfect for the kids),lovely seperate bedroom,claw footed old bath , romantic living room filled with heaps of memorabilia.Best of all you are right on a beautiful beach with your own Driftwood deck and rocking chair-perfect for a cold afternoon beer
-also try the Ocean Grill -fantastic restaurant with heaps of character (also started by clever old Waldo ).It is right on the sand and walking distance to Driftwood.
This one night stop over was the highlight( with the exception was the shuttle taking off)of our whole time in Florida.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Funky, eclectic oceanfront resort with two of its buildings listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. 100 rooms and suites of varying sizes all with some kitchen facilities. Old Florida at its best, rocking chairs in front of every unit to gaze at the ocean while enjoying a beverage from the on site restaurant, Waldo's, the last of the Great American Hangouts! With 9 buildings on the property, there is something to please nearly every taste. Located right in the heart of the beach business district there are more than a dozen restaurants and lounges within walking distance and a newly renovated city park right next door with wonderful playground equipment for the kids. Join us for fun and relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Reservation Counter and Hotels.com so you can book your Driftwood Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Driftwood Hotel Vero Beach
- Driftwood Resort Vero Beach