“Fantastic Relaxing Vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Vero Beach
Chickamauga, Georgia, United States
“Fantastic Relaxing Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We sort of "fell" into Driftwood as we got rooked in to touring a time share for a free week of vacation through RCI. . . prior to trying to book that free week, we had no idea that Driftwood Resort, or Vero Beach for that matter, existed. We consider ourselves very lucky to have found both.

We arrived Saturday afternoon, the day before the big Christmas in July party/charity event and were nervous because the parking was very limited, however, we were lucky enough to find a space without too much trouble. Our first day there, Sunday / Christmas in July, was a bit crowded. . .the beach was packed and you couldn't get near the main pool. However, Sunday afternoon-the rest of the week were amazing as far as people were concerned. Not overcrowded at all.

We had a fantastic little studio room with a partial kitchen (Room 407). It was very small, but worked well for my husband, myself, and our two year old. The room says that it sleeps 4, however, I would not recommend it for any more than two adults and maybe two toddlers. With older kids, teenagers, or more than two adults, the studio we stayed in would be WAY too small, in my opinion. The location of the room was perfect. We were up high enough that we could see the beach from our window and rocking chairs on the balcony. Our room was also on the Waldo's side so we could sit in our chairs and enjoy the live band (with our much less pricey drinks) from our room with our two year old safely playing beside us.

The room was nice, but a bit dated. The refrigerator and inside of the microwave both had rusty spots which felt a bit dirty to me. The two small windows on the side of the large one were both filthy. The bed was definitely firm which was fine for me, but my husband didn't enjoy it so much. The partial kitchen was tiny, but I expected as much and was able to work in it just fine for our week long stay.

If you choose to use the laundry room, I would definitely suggest purchasing your own soap/dryer sheets. After charging you $1.50 per token (so $3 to wash and dry one load) the resort will also charge you $1 each for soap and single dryer sheets. Also, be prepared to get there early as there is only 2 washers and 2 dryers so it's hard to find them available. Also, you will find that there is no laundry basket so be prepared to use a bag or tote.

As far as the staff, they seemed helpful, but most were not overly friendly. Check-in was fine and everyone was friendly during the process. However, I later had to call down because our clothes iron was broken. Someone brought one to my door within 5 minutes (GREAT service) but the person who I spoke with at the front desk never apologized or anything, just dryly said, "we'll send one to you" as if it were a bother to take my call. Overall, though, I could deal with the staff. They, for the most part, just weren't people who I was interested in starting a friendly conversation with.

We spent most of our time at the beach, however, we did spend some time at the pool. We tried out the main pool that is located at Waldos and did not feel comfortable there, right smack in the middle of a bar, with our two year old so we then decided to only use the pool at the breakers buildings even though we weren't technically supposed to. It was a much more relaxed environment and I felt comfortable that it was kids running around rather than people with their drinks in hand.

During our time at the beach, we were blessed to be able to witness a shark feeding on "bait fish" as well as an abundance of sea turtles.

Some negatives: The wifi is AWFUL!! If I was lucky, I could sit outside and get a enough signal to get my email to load. I'm not sure that this is all that terrible though, since it definitely doesn't permit any working via the resorts wifi. Also, the entire little town shuts down at 5pm. We decided to go for a walk after dinner at Waldos Monday night and nothing but a couple little restaurants was open. Turns out that it didn't matter as the shops in the area were extremely pricey.

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely consider a return stay. Just don't expect anything touristy. There is very little to do outside of partying at Waldos and enjoying the pool and beach which was just what we wanted for this particular vacation with just our toddler.

Room Tip: The room we had - 407 - was PERFECT for us. Great view of the ocean, as well as a great view of Wal...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Burton On Trent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Arrived right in the middle of the annual Xmas party in July ! Full on party - was a bit concerned at first but no problems on the whole for guys who had been partying for 8 hrs.......
Stayed in a family room which was fab - separate double bedroom and bathroom with our girls on a double pull out sofa with their own kitchenette and bathroom.
Great value for money and stunning location !!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have been visiting the DW in the summer for years. Our family has a timeshare in a beautiful little villa facing the beach. We stay for a week, it's perfect. This was the first year I rented a room for myself. It was maybe 15 steps to the beach, huge, clean! And Waldo's is always tons of fun!

• Stayed July 2013
Williamsport, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This resort only seemed to care about its paying customers at the restaurant/bar that is part of the resort. Parking is a nightmare because this is a local hangout and they let anyone park anywhere. There is no dedicated parking for the people who are staying at this resort. There were people drinking in the pool, beer bottles & wine glasses on the side of the pool at times. Definitely not a place for children. Not to mention all the drunks leaving daily. We saw an older man who was drunk goofing off in the parking lot in his car hit another guy and the guy just handed him another beer and then another girl leaving back into someone else's vehicle that was parked in the handicap space. There cops were called here on several occasions. There were no activities, the few shops in the area were pricey. Beds were hard & very uncomfortable. I ended up sleeping on the sofa bed as it was a little better which is sad to say. RCI guests can only exchange their bath towels & bed linens once within your week stay; you have to leave them outside in the morning and then wait for them to return them later in the afternoon on Tuesday. The main pool is in the middle of the restaurant deck dining area and the bar. There is only about 20 lounge chairs all of which were taken every morning by people running down and draping towels over them even though it was clearly stated you were not to do this. We got to sit by the pool one time during our weeks stay and there were people not even staying at the resort using the pool facilities too. The other pool on the breakers side of the resort was the same way. The resort itself has a nice location and we had a great ocean view from our room which was right above Waldos the restaurant/bar. And we did enjoy some of the live entertainment in the evenings at Waldos but I would never come back. This was my worst RCI exchange experience ever

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jeanne M, General Manager at Driftwood Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Very sorry you had such a difficult time parking. The 4th of July week was busier than we have ever been and parking was at a premium. Many of the resort guests bring more than one vehicle and the restaurant onsite is indeed very popular both with locals and with tourists and that does exacerbate the problem. We value all of our guests and are sorry you felt that was not the case. Our RCI guests and owners alike have a linen exchange once a week, as is the case with most interval ownership resorts. People renting units on a daily basis receive fresh linens daily which is built into the rental price. I hope you will give us another chance sometime in the future. Jeanne Radlet, GM
Alturas, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

What a great lil treat for my family and I. My teenage boys had an amazing time between the two pools and the beach. They were never bored. My husband and I enjoyed the pool and beach as well and Waldo's pool side bar. Our room was clean and quaint. Loved the lil nooks around the resort. My husband and I would get up early and grab a breakfast sandwich and a cup off coffee from across the street and enjoy the view from them. The hotel staff was super friendly. Can't wait to go back with out the kids ;) My only complaint was the pillows, but that's just because I am picky. I forgot to pack mine.

Room Tip: the bar noise can get a little loud if you stay in the units by the bar
Cortlandt Manor, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful place. The rooms are clean and roomy and the staff were great. A beautiful beachfront and 2 swimming pools that were clean and well kept. Whether you're a family or a solo couple you'll enjoy the whole ambiance of this place. The ocean views are amazing and the bar has a great ambiance to hang out and have a drink or two.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Cocoa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I love the Driftwood! Our family has vacationed here for nearly 30 years - we are owners in the Driftwood timeshare villas. We can't wait to unwind and relax at the beach each June - our suite with kitchenette becomes our home away from home, and we enjoy exploring the grounds and relaxing by the pool. The Driftwood is a piece of history, too - it is on the National Historic register. Waldo Sexton, builder of the original Driftwood Inn, was an eccentric entrepreneur who developed much of the area around Vero Beach. He also built the Ocean Grille restaurant, the Patio restaurant, and the Szechuan Palace in Vero, and had a hand in the McKee Botanical Gardens. I love all the items he collected and left on the Driftwood property, especially the ships bells, the wrought iron, and the ceramic medallions. Make sure you explore all the Driftwood buildings to see these treasures!

Room Tip: Book a room with an ocean view - staying in the ordinal building would be awesome!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Driftwood Resort? Share your experiences!