“You must be kidding!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 26 hotels in Vero Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“You must be kidding!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We were here for a week ending December 8, 2012. The first thing you need to know is it is not a resort. The decor is something out of the 70's. There are no amenities unless you consider Bobby's restaurant who fills the air with smoke and whose drunk patrons wake you at midnight. Don't bother complaining to the management; Bobby's pays them $150,000 a year rent, so they look the other way.

They had construction going on all week which they never reported to our time share company or us. The first morning we were greeted from our sleep by the wall vibrating from their construction. When I complained to the front desk they told me I could find another place. The manager claimed it would not be a further issue; wrong, it continued all week. When I told the manager I was told I guess it wasn't my week. When I went to the front desk I was told "some people can take it, others can't." Unless you want to pay to be abused find another place along the strip there are better places to stay for equal or lower cost.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Leesburg, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We just came back yesterday from a week at Ocean Reef. We own a timeshare there but I doubt we'll be back. The apartment was cramped but our big family is used to that. My biggest complaint is about the ants. We had to put all our food in the fridge to keep them away. One night as we ate dinner the ants got into our leftovers. It was gross. We complained but nothing was done. The beach is not very pleasant but the pool area was lovely. The wifi was spotty at best which was a disappointment since I needed it to work. The other vacationers were super nice, though, which made it a fun atmosphere for our family.

• Stayed October 2012
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

My family enjoyed staying at this small resort through an Interval exchange. Even though this is an older property and fairly small (60 rooms?) we had a great vacation. Some reviewers complained about parking, but we had no problems. We received a parking permit when we checked in and displayed it on the dashboard. Some rooms have older, non-HDTVs but I guess that just encourages you to spend more time on the beach! There were only a few resort-sponsored activities during the week. Families with small children should know that there is no kiddie pool. The one pool has a deep end of 9 feet and a shallow end of 4 feet. The manager talked about plans to upgrade all rooms to HDTV and to add more activities. If you want to stay a few feet from the beach and just relax, this is the place. If you were any closer to the ocean, you'd be sleeping with the fishes!

Room Tip: There are a few "beach-front" rooms and a few "beach-view" rooms. The other room...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Newport RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

The resort is located in a wondrful area, right on the beach, a short walk to many great places to eat and drink. It is clean, the staff is helpful and we would certainly stay there again. It is a simple place, not full of fancy extras but a solid value. .

Room Tip: ocean view rooms are great
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011 via mobile

The Reef is located on the beach. It's less then 20 feet from my door to the beautiful white sands of Vero Beach. If your looking for waterfront rooms, you'll find it here.

• Stayed October 2011
oh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Stayed in a one bedroom, oceanside, second floor unit.

The best thing about Ocean Reef is the location!!!!! The ocean front location was wonderful. The actual units are well kept, with many ground keeper types staff present and available. The decor in the unit is somewhat dated, but I was willing to overlook that because the unit was clean and like I said, the location was wonderful.

I have come to appreciate staying in a smaller complex rather than a large resort type accommodation. It is quieter, has easier parking, friendlier, and the best thing......the units are only two stories, so we never had to enter a high rise and wait for an elevator and tote our beach gear up and down and all around. I could leave our room and be at the pool in 30-45 seconds! We never had to scramble for a chair by the pool either! Some places I have stayed involve a lot of strategy to get a lounge chair!

I can say that the one bedroom unit really is meant for two people. I can not imagine having more than two. The bed was comfortable.

Vero Beach itself was great.....peaceful, quiet, nice people. Not much traffic. Could walk from Reef Ocean to several restaurants, etc. Some days we didn't even drive anywhere.

This is a great place for couples.

The only thing I could suggest is that it would be nice for the property to provide chairs on the beach. Since many people use air travel to get to Florida, it is impossible to bring chairs/etc along. There were no chairs during our week long stay.

Overall, I liked it!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

We swapped to this hotel with Interval . This hotel is motel type 2-3 star , disappointed with the hotel decor and the other hotel guests. Lot's of smokers .. not nice.. The property itself is clean and neat, good location close to the beach . nice grounds . The decoration is stale 80's style /colors.. not 4 star at all . Service was good, friendly staff .
I would not return this hotel but would visit Vero Beach again .

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Reef Ocean Resort? Share your experiences!