“Kids or no kids- It's a great resort” 5 of 5 stars

Disney's Vero Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   9250 Island Grove Terrace, Vero Beach, FL 32963-4048   |
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Vero Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“Kids or no kids- It's a great resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

It's just my husband and I- no kids and we recently became members of the DVC (Disney Vacation Club) and decided to spend a week at the Vero Beach Resort. We were, as always, a little worried that we would not have much to do at a Disney resort without kids but we were pleasantly surprised. The pool was great, not too crowded and the beach was the same. We played tennis, rode bikes, worked out in the gym and still found time to get sun. Yes, there is an extra charge for renting equipment but the cost is certainly not inappropriate. The restaurants at the resort were fine and the one by the pool is especially convenient but there are also plenty of good restaurants off property about 1/2 hour away which made for a nice evening drive. It was a great way to spend our 5th anniversary...away from the hustle and bustle of the parks and lots of people. I highly recommend it for those without children who want to relax and unwind. You people with kids....I KNOW you will enjoy it. :)

• Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2006

Parent's Review: You might be thinking -- as I was -- that this is the Grand Floridian without the theme park. Stop thinking that, or else you'll be disppointed. Disney's Vero Beach Resort lacks the luxury and quality of any of the top "World" hotels. This is one of Disney's timeshare (oh, I mean "vacation ownership") properties. Fortunately, there was no sales pitch. Unfortunately, service was a bit surly and unprofessional, the food was like something from Applebees on a bad day, and everything except a swim in the pool costs extra.

My husband and I and our two sons (10 and 12) spent a weekend here in June, 2006. Our inn room was fine -- what you'd expect from a 3 star hotel, and included a small fridge and microwave.

As a "resort" the property is lacking. Slide down the waterslide a couple of times and splash around in the ocean and you're basically done. There is a menu of scheduled activities, but most are limited to a certain number of guests and cost extra. They also aren't as inventive or entertaining as those I've experience at Disney World proper. My 12 year old was too old for the kids' stuff and too young for the teen stuff (but I don't blame Disney for that -- that's the curse of being 12).

My overall feeling is that this was a pleasant place to spend a weekend with the family, but that I would not go out of my way to make this a destination in itself. There are better places for an enjoyable family weekend. My 10 year old loved the place though, and his review is below.

Kid's Review: The parent might think it's kinda boring, but for the kids, it's practically heaven. From when you check in, to when you check out, you get the full feeling of comfort. When you walk up to the front desk, the clerk is friendly and polite. When I got to my room, I remember feeling wowed. It wasn't too big and it wasn't too small. It was just right. The room comes with a microwave, coffee machine, refrigarator, balcony, 2 sinks, a TV, two beds, and a bathroom. My room had a view of the pool and each morning I would step ouside to just watch it. We even had a slight view of the ocean. That's another thing. The ocean is wonderful. It's perfect for building sand castles, just lying around, collecting shells, boogie boarding, etc. And at night, it's usually hi-tide and if you go onto the boardwalk to watch it, it looks so beautiful. Then, there's the restaurant, Shutters. Some days, there's a character breakfast. It was a bit dissapointing when I was there because only Goofy and Max were there. No other characters. I was really looking foward to seeing Mickey. Then there's Sonya's. It's a fancy restaurant. Perfect for adults on a night where there's 2DC (Disney Discovery Club). It goes frokm 5-8 pm so the adults can have a nice dinner without their children while the children go and have some fun. One thing that's fun is (I've only been there for one 2DC so I don't know exactaly except I think) that you play capture the flag every time. You might even have the chance of finding the flag. Just time to see how long it takes for the other team to get back and you'll know aproxamitly where the flag is. After that, you can go have some dinner. After dinner, you go to the beach-side lawn and you get to play different games. At the end, you can climb up the stairs that lead to The Green Cabin Room, another "restaurant" and you can have a little snack. If you have an adult room card and it doesn't say something like "NO CHARGING ALLOWED", then you can go eat anywhere you like without an adult because the money can get put on your card and it will just be paid when you check out. Also, The Green Cabin Room has three chess tables so you can play chess with a friend or family member when you visit. Another thing I haven't told you about is sea turtles. Almost every morning, there's a "Turtle Troop" where you go on a walk to try and find where turtles layed their eggs. Here's something that you should know:
1. Sea Turtles never go back to their nests after they lay it
2. Sometimes, they can make a "false crawl" where they go from the ocean to the sand and make a loop back to the ocean.
The pool has a "giant" water slide that looks just like a lighthouse. If you climb to the top (when it's open) and look down onto the pool, you might be able to see that the pool is shaped like Mickey Mouse's head. here's a tip for going down the water slide. Keep your feet straight together and lie flat down on your back with your feet first and try as hard as possible to keep your feet together and try pushing yourself on both sides of the water slide. Near the end (before you land in the pool), you should be sliding on both sides back and forth. Don't worry if it hurts the first time, after that, you can do it freely and you probably wouldn't get hurt. In the morning, if you have a pool view window, go outside at your own risk because of these little tiny bugs called "no-see-ums" (pronounced NO-zee-ums). They bite at you over and over, only if it's over 70 degrees. At the end of trip at the airport when I was coming back, I was itching like crazyall over my feet. I'm still itching, only not as much. So watch out.
By the time you check out, you will have had a lot of fun! I know I did. I wanted to stay there forever, well maybe not that long, but at least longer! If you're planning to go, I suggest you pack your bags with fun 'cause you're gonna have a lot of it!

• Stayed June 2006
Pine Bush, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2006

We have been traveling from NY to Disneyworld for the past 4 years and we never seem to tire of all the things to do as a family in Disneyworld, so when we decided to stay at Disney's Vero Beach Resort, I wondered if it would be as much fun since we weren't doing any parks or anything, this was more of a relaxing family trip. We were pleasantly suprised by how wonderful this place is. It's beautiful, right on the ocean. We stayed in the 2 bedroom villa which is so great, we were so spoiled staying in it and having so much room that having traveled since then and only stayed in a regular hotel room with two double beds, we felt boxed in! We had a beautiful view of the ocean from our balconies and it was great to eat breakfast delivered to us by the kitchen at the hotel! The pool area is soooo family friendly, especially for the preschool age kids, my husband and myself couldn't believe how relaxed we were being at the pool with the kids. The entire pool is around 3 1/2 or 4 feet deep, so you never worry about the kids in a "deep end" and it's heated! They had a lot of activities for the kids, with or without parental supervision, so it was nice to have an hour for them to have fun with other kids! They have an area right at the pool by the tables and chairs where you can pick up some board games to play with the kdis, like candy land or sorry, etc. The kids loved it! We would eat lunch and play board games when we took a break from the water, it was nice to just relax with the kids there! We were there all day every day, it was so amazing. The restaurants were awesome, the kids had a great choice of food as did we! The snack bar by the pool was great! I have to say, we have three kids all under 5 and we had the best, most relaxing time, I felt so rested and have such great memories of playing in the water with the kids, we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2006
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2006

Disney Vero Beach was the perfect spot for my financee and I to spend 3 days remembering WHY we fell in love with each other! The water is much nicer than portrayed by any of the photos; I was thinking it would be dark blue, and it was tropical blues and greens, clear and clean, refreshingly cool, but easily adaptable, after a few hours in the great sunshine!

We did have the advantage of being there before school is out, so I feel that lent itself to our getting great service throughtout our stay, with only minimal waits for food or service. We enjoyed the wait time, as the setting was so perfect! Our room was a smoking room, but since we were able to sleep with our patio door open each night, enjoying the sound of the waves, it was no problem. Accomodations were nice, staff very friendly, and the extra Disney touches always a pleasure!

For dinners we went to The Ocean Grill for a good meal; very rich food, best to go after 9pm for dinner, if you can.. Much less crowded! Also, a hidden local treasure is "Bobby's" a small restaurant in Vero Beach, attached to a small hotel there. Awesome steak and all of the food served around us looked mouth watering, as well! Burgers, steaks, onion soup, etc. Also, go to Melbourne Beach for shopping and fun, they are revitalizing the old downtown, and it is a nice morning activity, lunch, then back to the resorts beautful beach! Also, in Wabasso, right near by the resort, over the bridge, go to the Sand Bar at night for relaxing fun, music and drinks right by the bay! This was an adult vacation for us, but we saw lots of families with young children enjoying the pool, water slide, beach and Disney character breakfast. The reosrt lends itself to either vacation you prefer, but I agree that teens might be a bit bored.

We have found our new "hideaway": this is like other Florida resort areas, but without all of the big crowds and hype!

• Stayed May 2006
Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2006

The place was comfortably crowded. It was school vacation week for New England so a lot of other people from the Northeast were there. Ran into two other groups of people that were from my hometown. Highs for the week were 75 to 85 with some fog/clouds in the morning and evening. This was basically a hang at the pool and play with the kids (ages 7 and 5) vacation. We had a blast. The slide was great. Hot tub was nice. Sauna great. Mini Golf was older but cute. The activities were a lot of fun. DDC(Discovery Club) is a great opportunity for mom and dad to go have a nice quiet dinner. Kids go play games and make crafts from 5 to 8PM in the discovery club. The camp fire was really enjoyable even if they never could get the wood to burn.

My only gripe: The food was pricey and oh so ho-hum. With almost no restaurants in the immediate area (10 miles or so) it would be nice if Shutters had more menu options. There was a small take out pizza joint (Orchids) that you could walk to for a changeup but otherwise it is 3 to 4 straight days of Shutters because Sonyas isn't open for a good part of the week. Do your research on a couple of off-site restaurants before you go. The lobby has numerous menu's available to view.

Stayed February 2006
Valdosta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2006

I stayed at the Vero Beach Resort for one night in February 2006. I stayed there with my mom (58) and my kids (8, 7 and 4). I'm a 34-year-old, well-traveled woman. I will just say that it was first class, just as Disney always is. I would compare the Vero to the Grand Floridian. The only thing I didn't love was that there were no bellmen. It was more of a condo set-up where that was concerned. Otherwise all things were fantastic.

• Stayed February 2006
Land O Lakes, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2006

This beachfront resort is in a beautiful area, the architecture is unique, and the activities are a blast. My husband & I took our 9 year-old son for the weekend. We had a fantastic time. Staff is consistently courteous and professional. We are looking forward to returning.

• Stayed January 2006

Been to Disney's Vero Beach Resort? Share your experiences!