“The property needs some help” 4 of 5 stars

Disney's Vero Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   9250 Island Grove Terrace, Vero Beach, FL 32963-4048   |
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Vero Beach
Grand Island, Nebraska
“The property needs some help”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I would give Disney Vero Beach a 3.5 rating not 4. This place is in need of a face lift. The rooms are showing their age. We had an ocean view room and that was the best thing about the room.
The TVs in the room are surprisingly small. Not that we are sitting around watching TV while on vacation, but at nearly $200 a night we felt like a decent television would not be too much to ask.
The carpet, bedspreads, mattresses, shower, sink etc... all need replacing. The rooms include a coffee maker, refrigerator, microwave and a toaster. If you don't want to pay a premium price at breakfast at Shutters -- I'd recommend going down to the gift shop and buy some bread and jelly.
My husband and I only ate one meal at the resort and it was lunch at the Green Cabin. He had the fish and chips and I had at Mahi Mahi BLT. The fish was very fresh and that was great and we had good service and meal. I had a Scottish Raspberry Lemon Drop with my meal and my husband had a draw of Yuengling. Total bill was $60 for lunch, which was partly due to the high cost of the drinks. If you want to spend $60 on lunch go somewhere where the locals go(Riverside Cafe) and try the cuisine of the region, and explore Vero Beach instead. Two finds that we stumbled upon while in search of a good lunch was the Penny Hill Beach Emporum which is less tha a block from the resort - they had great sandwiches and gyros. And next to Penny Hill is a good pizza place called Orchid Island. Disney Vero Beach Resort sits along the Atlantic Ocean. The ocean was rough the entire time we were there. As for the beach, it was nothing special. We have been to Jamaica, Bahamas, Antigua, so we know something about a nice beach. This beach was not like any of those. Plus the Atlantic ocean is nothing like the gorgeous aqua blue of the tranquil Caribbean. As one would imagine being a Disney property the pool is geared towards families and children. I wouldn't recommend DVB for romance, it's focus isn't couples. If you want an experience like that go to a Secrets or a Sandals.
The one constant throughout the trip was the service. The staff at DVC did everything in their power to make us happy. They helped us with ground transportation, gave us great food/drink recommendations, a front desk employee took pictures of my husband and I while we waited for our shuttle back to the airport on our last day there. The front desk was well versed in the importance of attention to the details and it was quite evident throughout our time in Vero Beach, which was refreshing.
Overall I still believe this property worthy of a 3.5 - good but not great, and definitely in need of refurbishing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Limon, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Absolutely a beautiful. The location can't be beat - the ocean is RIGHT THERE! We had a two bedroom villa which was wonderful. They told us no ocean view, but we could see it from the balcony and you could hear it every time you went outside - beautiful. Their staff were fantastic, upbeat, and helpful. Resturants were fabulous. As usual, Disney resorts can't be beat and set a high standard that most hotels just can't meet. We went to the Florida Keys first and stayed at a very nice hotel, but we all agreed that we were all happier once we got to Disney - coming home. I think we will add a couple of days here following a Disney World trip just to relax and unwind from the parks. Oh - the parks: We had no Disney World trip planned this year, but at only 2 hours way, we could not help sneaking up for a day and enjoying the Christmas decoration. This place is a gem.

• Stayed December 2012
CONNECTICUT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

After 5 days at Disneyworld, this was a welcomed relief from all the running around. Our room was on the 3rd floor with a ocean view. The room was a corner room and had slanted ceilings which made it quite cozy. It was like an apartment. The carpets, bedspreads and mattresses could use an upgrade. After staying at the Yacht Club, this was a little disappointing. It was clean and housekeeping was very good. We had dinner and breakfast at Shutters which was very good. We did get to use the pool and beach, but for only one day since it was very cold, windy and cloudy. I'm not sure if I would go back there again. I think I would like to try other resorts in that area. It was still an enjoyable time and very relaxing!!

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Stillwater, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

As DVC members we have been to Disney Vero Beach over a dozen times and we have yet to have what would qualify as a negative experience. The staff are highly trained and treat you well. The property is well maintained. The staff respond to feedback as evidenced by a change in towel policy to avoid guests "saving" lounges around the large pool. There is a workout center accessible with your room key. Restaurants on property are good in addition to the many local restaurants that can be found on Trip Advisor. If you want a restful vacation, have been to the Disney parks, it doesn't matter if you are a couple or a family, Disney Vero Beach is a place to go.

Room Tip: If you stay in the main lodge, request an oceanview on an upper floor and let the sound of the surf...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Disney's Vero Beach Resort was a nice surprise. After reading several reviews, I was a bit skeptical but we found the resort to be well appointed with great service. This is certainly Disney at the Beach - at it's finest. The resort was immaculately clean and the attention to detail was prevalent in every nook and cranny, as is expected with Disney. Our studio room - 1541 - had a tremendous view of the ocean and was comfortable. The TV is very small, but works fine, and the decor was appropriate to the resort. The bathroom could use some updating but everything looked and worked fine.

The buildings and grounds are in such great shape and well designed. The hotel staff was very accommodating and polished. The resort's attention to conservation is everywhere. The turtles of the area are endangered and Disney makes every attempt to protect them with the special outdoor lighting, use of paper drinking straws, protected beach area and emphasis on recycling.

We plan on coming back.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view - the rooms on the 3rd floor have the potential for best views. There are...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Augustine, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I made mine thru Hotels.com, I called them to change the dates of our trip, due to medical issues. They told me I had to cal the Resort to do that. I called Vero Beach and they said I'd have to go thru Disney's Central Reservation Service and gave me the #. There I was told I was not in their computer system since I went thru a third party, Hotels.com. Hotels.com said NO that's not policy. And the out come is that I lost 1nights payment + tax+fees. Over $200. Not happy with either Disney's nor Hotel.com response. So be careful!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
baltimore, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Let me begin with the good. We arrived for a 2 night stay during the week of Thanksgiving, so the hotel lobby was beautifully decorated for Christmas! Our room had awesome views of the ocean and we enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Sonya's. Although our room had great views, it was in need of serious updating. I was surprised to see the "motelish" bedspreads in a 4 star trip advisor hotel! Bathrooms and furnishings were definitely old and tired looking. Service was spotty, which is surprising for the Disney brand. Poolside lunch was disgusting ... Even our kids turned up their noses at their hotdogs. Silly rules apply at this resort: no drinks by the pool and no drinking straws served in drinks by the pool. ?!? Internet service was out for 2+ hours. Pam, at the front desk, was very receptive to our concerns and asked that we share them with Kathy, housekeeping management. They happily credited us for our second night, so we couldn't have been more pleased. Resort itself is off the beaten path...Nowhere close by to grab a coffee or something.
Unfortunately, we won't be returning to this resort. If your family is looking for the Disney experience, head to Disney.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Vero Beach Resort? Share your experiences!