“Ideal place to stay for Harry Potter Studio Tour” 4 of 5 stars
Review of De Vere Venues Hunton Park

You added De Vere Venues Hunton Park to your Saves list
De Vere Venues Hunton Park
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Essex Lane, Hunton Bridge | Watford, Hunton Bridge WD4 8PN, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hunton Bridge
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
“Ideal place to stay for Harry Potter Studio Tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Booked ourselves in here as we were visiting the Harry Potter Studios the next day and it is just minutes away. After reading some of the reviews on here I did have my concerns. Yes, the room was a little small but, for one night how much room do you need. I would agree that the decor is a little tired, so too the carpets in the corridor area to the rooms but it really wasn't dreadful, just tired. The standard of service was excellent. We only had bar of soap and a very small container of shampoo/conditioner in the room when we arrived and certainly not enough milk for our drinks but when we mentioned this at reception we were immediately given more supplies.

We ate in the hotel in the evening and again, given the reviews here we really weren't sure what to expect. The service was exceptionally good and would thank the young girl who looked after us so well and the food was of a good quality and well presented. Breakfast was again very good with a good choice and plentiful supplies. We didn't find the service as good as the previous evening but it certainly wasn't anything to complain about.

We had a special promotion rate and maybe if we had paid the full rate, I might have felt a little disappointed with the tiredness of the decor.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Peter F, General Manager at De Vere Venues Hunton Park, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for your review, i am delighted you had a good stay with us.

Pete

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at many de vere venues before and have always been more than happy with our stay. However hunton park was a real let down. When we booked my partner mentioned it was my Birthday - most hotels we have stayed in leave a small gesture, but not this one. We also tried to use the swimming pool several times however, due to swimming lessons and the amount of children using the pool, it was not accessible. Which we were looking forward too. Lastly, the breakfast was very disappointing, we arrives at 930 leaving half an hour to eat. This was a problem, there was one fried egg left, no bacon and no sausages. We waited for around 5 minutes but no sign of more breakfast. So we both just ate toast and cerial. Coffee and tea was not offered, we had to ask and cutlery was dirty. We both left disappointed. I must add the receptionists were both very friendly and helpful!

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for the review. I am sorry you were disappointed with your experience. In terms of the swimming pool we do provide swimming lesson for the community but i am sorry this interfered with your plans. I am also sorry you were disappointed with the breakfast, this should not have happened but i am glad you found the team friendly.
Pete

Travelers are raving about these Hunton Bridge hotels

Norwich, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Me and my partner stayed here on the 27th February - we stayed here as my partner had back injections in London and wanted somewhere near the M25 for ease of travel getting back to Norwich the next morning, the location is wonderful and quiet.

We arrived about 8pm, check in was very swift. My partner was unable to walk following her injections and they couldn't help enough - special thanks to the duty manager that evening who helped us thoroughly by supplying a wheelchair and pushing my partner to our room.

The room was very cosy and immaculate. The bed was unbelievably comfortable and we both enjoyed a good nights sleep.

The buffet breakfast was worth every penny of the £8.50 each we paid and again the staff in the restaurant were very helpful and ensured my coffee cup was topped up !

We left very satisfied with the service we received and would definately recommend staying here.

On a further note after reading some negative reviews I find a lot of these nit picking especially those who complain about the size of the rooms - does that really matter ? Most people go to hotels to sleep not swing a cat around !

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Peter F, General Manager at De Vere Venues Hunton Park, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thank you for your review, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay . Indeed, we do not hide the size of our rooms nor where they are located so I was extremely pleased to read your review and glad you enjoyed breakfast too. I look forward to welcoming you back to the venue soon.

Peter
Hinckley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We booked this hotel as we were visiting the Harry Potter Studio tour the following day.

Check in was swift and easy - very friendly receptionist!

We were allocated a room on the first floor and on arrival we were very pleased. Don't get me wrong it wasn't the biggest room I've ever seen but it was comfortable, very clean and had a lovely homely feel about it.

We also used the swimming pool whilst we were there - you simply had to visit reception and ask for a key to access the pool area. Again this was very clean and the pool area was lovely with wooden steamer type chairs surrounding it. We were fortunate enough to have the whole place to ourselves for pretty much the whole time we were there. One point to maybe note if you're of a shy disposition is that the changing rooms are unisex with only one cubicle that is private for changing in. As above this wasn't a problem though as we were the only ones in there at the time.

We can't comment on the bar or restaurant as we used the room service facilities. One tiny niggle is that the food did take rather a long time to arrive (over an hour) and one of the drinks we had ordered didnt turn up but the quality of the food was absolutely amazing - piping hot and amazingly fresh (I can highly recommend the Verve burger and the triple cooked chips which were out of this world!)

The next day checkout was fast and easy - again a really friendly receptionist who took the trouble to ask if our stay had been enjoyable. So all in all we had a really nice stay for an absolute bargain and the Harry Potter Studios were literally a 5 minute drive away.

All in all we would definitely stay here again if we were ever in this part of the country!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Peter F, General Manager at De Vere Venues Hunton Park, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for the review you have posted. I am delighted you enjoyed your visit and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Peter
Cheshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

My fiance and I stayed here for one night for a trip to warner bro studios, from the moment we walked through the doors our experience was not at all the standard of what a devere should be. At check in the night receptionist didn't have a clue on what to do when I handed him my discount card. When we got to our room the only thing clean must of been the bed sheets which was suprising, cob webs hanging from all parts of the ceiling with collected dust on and marks on the carpet which hadn't even been hoovered, to my suprise the bathroom had been cleaned but the rest just put you off, on agreement I deceided to wait till morning to make a comment on this, when we went down to breakfast we were greeted nicely at the door but then we were sat at a dirty table and had to wait for her to relay it before even getting a cup of tea, (which was cold) which I wouldn't mind but when the restaurant was practically empty there was no need for this, I am a team leader of a restaurant in a different devere hotel and was very disappointed to think that the standards in this hotel differ so much to mine. On check out they deceide to tell me they didn't accept ny discount card but this time they would, surely they need to decide whether they are or not and make this clear when I made the booking, which again was awful as when my partener rang to query the price for staff and she said you need to do it online and put the phone down on him, next time we are in the Watford area we will be staying in a premier in, a let down for devere

• Stayed February 2014
Peter F, General Manager at De Vere Venues Hunton Park, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for your review, I am disappointed in the review you have left and even more surprised that you did not bring it to the attention of the duty manager on your visit. I have looked into the cleanliness issues you have mention but I have been unable to find these faults in the room you were in? I am glad we did apply the discount but I sorry you did not enjoy your experience with us.

kind regards

Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I booked this hotel for an overnight stay in February as part of a birthday treat for my nephews who I was taking to the nearby Warner Brothers Studio Tour.

I booked two twin rooms and asked that they be adjoining or adjacent so the boys could have one room and my sister and myself could have the other room. On arriving at the hotel I was told that they had overbooked so they had given us a double with an additional bed put in the room and a twin. I was told that the rooms were not adjoining or adjacent but that they were close to one another. There was no apology and no other information anyway, the rooms were not close to each other at all! One was room number 8 and one was room 55 total opposite ends of the hotel. This meant that we had to split the rooms with my sister staying in one room with one of the boys and me taking the other room with the other boy. Not great for teenagers! The double room which had been allocated was a disabled room and with the additional put me up bed crammed in there was no room to swing a cat. You couldn't walk around the double bed and the bedside cabinets had had to be removed to the foot of the bed to allow the single to be crammed it. Very Very disappointed.

None of us slept particularly well as the walls and doors seem paper thin and you can hear every noise from people in the corridor and the adjacent rooms.

Only two teabags in each room and only enough sugar in the double room for one cup of tea.

The drive leading up to the hotel is extremely narrow and has huge potholes in it. Thankfully I was in a 4x4 otherwise i would have probably damaged the bottom of my car on the potholes and speed hump. The location of the hotel is fantastic and the bar staff were very friendly, the food was good in the bar but I would not stay here again unless I was going to Warner Brothers again and just wanted somewhere for convenience.

The only reason I didn't complain at the time was because my nephew asked me not to, I think he was slightly embarrassed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am sorry there was an issue with the reservation and would ask you to contact me directly at the venue to discuss this in more detail.

I look forward to hearing from you.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

We visited here the night before going to the Harry Potter Studio tour. It's so close you can actually see it from the car park.

The hotel has a lovely approach and a nice large car park. There are some steps down into the reception area. The area is really airy and set out well, I thought the British display was really good fun.

Check in was quick an efficient. The receptionist was really friendly and seemed to actually enjoy his job!

Our room was perfectly fine for what we needed. Yes, it's not particularly large, as some have mentioned on here. However, I thought it was well designed and perfectly adequate for what we needed. The bathroom was also a good size and everything was clean.

The shower was incredibly powerful, which was fantastic as some hotel showers are absolutely awful.

The bar area with the complementary tea and coffee was great, with some really comfy sofas. We didn't eat here, but saw some of the food come out and it looked really nice.

We drove a few miles away to the leisure park and had a lovely meal at Frankie and Benny's followed by a visit to the cinema.

Check out the following morning was again very quick and efficient, with lovely staff. We were given directions to the studio tour and a few tips of things not to miss.

An issue that we did have was dealt with quickly, and very professionally by the management. I was very impressed we were not fobbed off, and the matter was thoroughly investigated and resolved to our compete satisfaction. Due to this, I wouldn't hesitate to stay again if we were in the area.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I am delighted you will be back to visit us again.

Peter Farrow

Been to De Vere Venues Hunton Park? Share your experiences!