“Watch out for the credit card charge” 3 of 5 stars
Review of De Vere Venues Hunton Park

Save Saved
You added De Vere Venues Hunton Park to your Saves list
De Vere Venues Hunton Park
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Essex Lane, Hunton Bridge | Watford, Hunton Bridge WD4 8PN, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Hunton Bridge
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Watch out for the credit card charge”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as we were attending a wedding held there. The bedroom block is located down a cold glass corridor which connects the old house which houses the public areas to the bedroom block. The bedrooms were small and the buffet breakfast was very average. The staff friendly but poorly trained. You would get much better facilities and value at a Premier Inn.
Our main gripe was the £2.50 credit card charge added to our already high tariff. A small amount you may say, if so then why charge it at all? Are De Vere becoming the Ryanair of hotels??

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Peter F, General Manager at De Vere Venues Hunton Park, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us at Hunton Park. I was disappointed to read of the negative comments with regards to the staff training, we generally do not receive this kind of feedback about our team and I will look into who looked after you and ensure they receive the proper support and training so we do not encounter feedback of this type again.
With regards to the Credit card charge, indeed we do place this charge on all bills being settled with credit card, we do not charge for the use of debit cards as the cost incurred with credit cards are that much higher. I feel however we are transparent with this charge and we do display signage directly on the reception desk and this information is also displayed on the website of this cost.
Thank you once again for your comments

Peter

283 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is my 3rd Venues location in past couple of months and so far wayyyyyy the best.

It had a much better layout, lovely walk to the room through an 'inside/out' corridor.

The facilities are great, lovely little coffee/bar area, snug and relaxing, very nice restaurant area for meals and breakfast......The freshest of little danish i have had for a while mmmmmm.

And, special mention to 'Molly' on front desk, very helpful during the stay with advice, directions and assistance using the complimentary Wi-Fi and printer...Thank you Molly.

The only downside for me was the once again ridiculous amount of noise, every time a door slammed (and slam is what they do), within 3 rooms in either direction, wow...you know about it. If anyone stands in the corridor, you WILL hear the conversation, and i mean every word of it.
This is becoming a theme of these venues. Don't get me wrong, i can't blame the current staff and management, it is not their fault that such an appalling decision was made before their tenure in the hotel, to fit such rubbish doors and sound proofing.

The thing that grates on my gears is this....some chains have issues, forever being commented on but nothing is done apart from...'we are sorry that on this occasion'

For example - Holiday Inn Express has a disaster of a microwave breakfast, going with-out is better & Devere Venues has shocking noise from doors and corridors, its forever cropping up on reviews, as is the HI Express rubbish breakfast. So.....Why don't both of these chains do something about what we, the customer, are constantly telling them about aaarrgggghhhh.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Peter F, Manager at De Vere Venues Hunton Park, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for the review you have posted on Hunton Park. I was delighted to ready how happy you were with the service yor received on your visit and thank you for your feedback with regards to the noise.

I would also like to thank you for your mention of Molly from the reception team, I will ensure I share this feedback with her personally, as I know she will be delighted to receive it.

Peter
Carlisle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three nights while attending a friend's wedding. On arriving on Thursday afternoon, the hotel's public rooms were full of corporate people having meetings, networking in the public areas, laptops and mobile phones being used. However, all the suited people left by Friday and the rooms were available for the wedding guests. This hotel has a business and social face which sit uneasily together.

The bar and restaurant were under pressure from the numbers booked into the hotel's accommodation. It was difficult to find a seat to have a quiet drink and to eat. The rooms are tiny and with a double bedded room, my husband and I took turns to use the desk/dressing table to prepare for the wedding. However, the staff are friendly and helpful, despite the shortcomings of the hotel layout.

A word of note, the photos on the hotel website showing an elegant country house is not the hotel per se, but the area where the wedding was to be held. The rooms were down a very chilly corridor and reminiscent of the layout of a Travel Lodge. This hotel is adequate only.

Room Tip: Very tiny rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandeep K, Manager at De Vere Venues Hunton Park, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Daisy005

Thank you for your feedback.

Conference & Events being our core business, you are absolutely right in saying that we are busy with conferences over the week and with weddings over the weekend. These aspects rarely interfere with each other as our Manor House is our dedicated meeting and event space where as all our bedrooms and guest areas are in the new wing.

We consider our rooms to be comfortable doubles and they have been recently refurbished to a good standard with modern amenities like Flat screen LCD TV's, tea/coffee making facilities, new double beds etc. I apologise if they were smaller than your expectations.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on skaushik@deverevenues.co.uk if you have any further feedback.

Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have been frequently staying at Hunton park hotel for the last 3 years, As I live abroad and visit friends and family in the Watford area. I have stayed at HP for over 60 nights total so feel very well qualified to express honest views. The staff are without exception extremely friendly and will go out of their way to go the extra mile. This includes helping me with my bags, allowing me early check ins (ie 8am) and late check outs. They look after any parcels I have delivered. the staff are professional without compromising friendliness. My rooms have always been warm, clean and inviting. Value for money with some incredible deals. The full breakfasts are excellent value at 7.50. I cannot sing the praises of this hotel enough. Excellent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mark

Thank you for your fabulous comments. You are and always will be welcome at Hunton Park.

Best wishes on your return to the country.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Just had our daughters wedding this weekend at this hotel. I cannot say enough how fantastic the whole weekend went. We were very lucky in having Sandeep Kaushik as function manager. Our every need, want, desire for our daughters wedding was met by his absolute attentiveness to detail as well as how he checked throughout our 2 night stay if we were happy with everything. The hotel staff were polite, smiley and happy to help all our guests with anything they needed which was commented on the day after the wedding.
If you are considering booking a wedding here, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jackie

It was all our pleasure. I am delighted that we were able to assist you in making the day special for the bride & groom and their guests. Please give my best wishes to the couple.

Tamworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed overnight in this hotel as it was very close to Harry Potter studios.
First impressions nice historic building. Ample parking near the reception area.
Have stayed in bigger rooms but it was decorated to a good standard and very clean.
It had everything you would need, iron, ironing board and a fan if needed, T.v (with good signal. was waiting for things to go wrong as usually the norm when we stay out but everything worked and was fine). The bed was comfortable and it was generally a nice room. Did not use leisure facilities. Staff were courteous and polite. Food from restaurant was very good. Overall a pleasant stay and would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rachel D

Thank you for leaving a great review of your stay. I look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Booked this hotel via laterooms.com therefore, paid a low price comparied to other prices. If I had of paid full price I would have been disappointed as the hotel pictures are not where you stay. The old house that is seen in the photos seems to be saved for weddings and business use. I however, had my room round the back of the main building in an added on extension. However, as I said before I didnt pay too much for the room so it seemed more than reasonable for the price, but I can see that others would be less than impressed by this.

The rooms where lovely, massive bed, nice tv. You can turn the raditors down at night so I dont know why people are complaining the rooms where too hot. There is a free coffee machine, tea, fruit, sweets and biscuits in the hotel, as well as a kettle in the room.

The pool was lovely! nice and warm, clean with changing rooms and toilet in the pool area.

The food in the bar in the evening was also very nice, although it took a little while to get our food and it didnt seem that bussy. The breakfast again was nice, make sure if you havent already paid for it that you pay for it when you arrive as it was £7.50 but if I left it till the morning they would of charged £10.50!

All the staff where helpful and friendly! would come back again

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Laura W

thank you for your feedback.

It was great to know that you enjoyed your stay here at Hunton Park. We are proud of our product and service and it is good you know that you agree.

The breakfast offer is great value for money and you are right in suggesting to pre book it on arrival

Best wishes

Been to De Vere Venues Hunton Park? Share your experiences!