“favorable” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Venice, United States
“favorable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

It is a great hotel nice rooms hotel is very clean and has great employees the room I had had was beautiful. Better than the other hotels in Venice the pool was very clean I like the breakfast and they have great coffee

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

ManagerVeniceFl, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ambassador Suites Venice, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We all love the coffee also. I sometimes tell people to bring the pot from the room down to the lobby for the good stuff. Hope to see you again. Jan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Overall great location for the money and where it is located, just off I-75.

Rooms were very large and looked recently updated. The only thing the rooms lacked was a safe. Didn't want to take some of my personal items down to the desk where they do have lock boxes. I have a CWP, enough said.

The breakfast was good, but not great. Lacked bacon or sausage. They had milk, OJ, cereal, bagels, waffle maker, eggs, etc. Like the old Wendy's commercial...."Where's the beef!"

Hotel staff the everyone seems to talk about- We didn't have many dealings. Check-in desk person was ok, but not overly welcoming or pleasant. Check-out person a little more friendly but neither person would wow you. No smiles, no good morning, very little eye contact, however not mean or unpleasant either.

I would definitely stay here again, however please add safes, bacon, and a smile.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
ManagerVeniceFl, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ambassador Suites Venice, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. When you come again for a gettaway, there will be beef on the breakfast. We were rotating breakfast options for those that stay for long periods of time so they could have variety. We have decided to change breakfast a little and not do that anymore but offer more every day. So the beef is back. I agree about the safes. We actually purchased safes last year and had so much trouble with them that we sent them back. I hope that I will be able to replace them with a better brand or something but that will have to be worked on. I hope to see you next time. Jan
Highland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We arrived and was greeted by a very nice young lady. This was the most pleasant interaction we had with the staff our entire visit. Shortly after we arrived, the toilet in the room got stopped up. There wasn't a plunger in the bathroom, so we had to call down to the desk. They said they would have to "hunt" for one, and about 15 minutes later they finally showed up with one.

The room appeared very clean. The beds were extremely comfortable and soft, as were the pillows. They didn't have bags in the trash cans. They had soup, shampoo, and conditioner in push button containers on the walls. The buttons were difficult to push. They had signs in the room in various places stating they were an environmentally conscientious hotel, and asked that we didn't have our towels laundered/replaced daily, yet didn't provide a recycling can in the room, or anywhere that I could find.

When we (3 adults) arrived there were 6 towels in the room 5 of which we used that night. When we came back the next day, after the housekeepers had been there, we only had 2 and the laundry bag was not replaced. I had to go to the front desk to get them.

The 1st morning we went down to the breakfast area. The layout is horrible. Several quests had to hunt for the coffee because it is across the room from all the food. They did have a hot breakfast, the first day was a cheese omelet. The staff lady that was in the kitchen/dining area had a sour look on her face the entire time. A quest attempted to walk into the room, and she very rudely and loud told him he was not allowed in without shoes. I don't mind the rule, I even think it is best, but she was very rude about it. The area was a very nice size and had plenty of eating space. The 2nd morning we had a very pleasant man serving.

Our last night there we got back to the hotel late in the evening and wanted to go out to eat. Evidently the town closes down at 9 pm. We went to ask the customer service desk if they had any recommendations as to where we could go. The assistant manager was there and told my husband that he didn't eat out and didn't know what was good or what was open.

When we checked out and was asked how our stay was, I explained how disappointed I was in the customer service. I received a discount on my stay and an apology. When I filled out my survey with Best Western, I was sent an email from the manager with another apology.

Bottom line:

Room was fantastic and comfortable. Customer service was horrible. I do plan on staying at this hotel again, as it is the only Best Western in the town.

Green Features: The hotel says it is environmentally-friendly, yet does not provide recycling containers anywhere, in or out of the room. The shampoo, conditioner, and soap dispensers in the bathroom are very difficult to push the buttons on.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for commenting on your stay at our hotel. I'm sorry that you had unpleasant customer service. We do try to make everyone's stay as pleasant as possible. Our rooms are green and that is why we have the soap dispensors in them. They save thousands of bottles going into our landfills each year. We also save on bags by simply washing the trash bucket and putting the trash in 1 large container. Our town is very laid back and senior oriented so eating late at night is an issue. There are a couple of national chains open on Route 41 if you should give us another try.
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel is good, with nice big rooms, we stay in a 2 queen beds suite with a small sleeping sofa (maybe good for 1 adult or 2 young kids), a flat TV, a small fridge and microwave. The breakfast is good, better than the regular free hotel breakfast. The only problem we had one of the days the room was unclean when we came back from the beach about 3 PM and the person at the front desk (Rich) was very unprofessional and rude dealing with this issue, in place to give us the fresh towels we requested when we decided not to have the room clean that day, he argue with me and complain that we made our reservation via Priceline... a shame because our stay was very good until that moment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so sorry about your experience at our hotel. Although we try to exceed every customers expectations we feel bad when we fall short of doing just that. I do hope that you will give us another chance. Jan
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and myself booked here for a quiet weekend away, we visited Venice on an overnight stop a few weeks away and decided to check out more of the place. We previously stayed at the HIEX but decided to try the Best Western Plus as it had some really good reviews. The hotel was very clean which is a definite must for us but the comfort of the beds or rather the lack of comfort is the reason I can only give it two stars, we come away from this "relaxing weekend' so tired out from lack of sleep.......we would only stay here again if the beds were more comfortable

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerVeniceFl, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ambassador Suites Venice, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
I'm so sorry that the bed brought us all the way to a 2. If you do like the rest of the hotel please let us give you several rooms to try the beds. They are all different and we are willing to let you try til you get a softer one. When making a reservation, mention the preference of a softer bed and we will find it for you. Hope to see you again. Jan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The room was remarkable overall!!! We booked 2 rooms (2 adults and 4 kids)...I honestly think we wouldve been fine with one room even with the crib inside! Plenty of space to roam around...love the laminate floors and air purifier. The room was very clean!! I love how the toilettries are in dispensers in the bathroom! The LCD lighting is a nice touch and provides great lighting. My main complaint is that the mattresses were extremely hard and uncomfortable...I would have rated the room a 10 if it weren't for the beds. I am on the fence about returning because this is the send time we've stayed at this hotel and the beds really are subpar. I have neck and back issues so I have to sleep on a decent bed. Otherwise, if I were to take the beds and the mediocre breakfast out of the equation this would probably be the best hotel room I've stayed in (for leisure travel).

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for writing to trip advisor. I'm glad you liked our hotel. The beds are new and until they are broken in a little we will offer a few comforters to soften them. Hopefully that will make the stay perfect next time your come. We also can let you try some other rooms also. Not all are the same beds. Jan
Nokomis, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was impressed with the cleanliness of the place and the management. The rooms were spacious and the hotel is right off I 75 and a few miles from the center of Venice. The hotel was quiet and has a small bsuiness center and decent outdoor pool. The free breakfast suited us well and was a surprise as many hotels that include a breakfast are not as tasty as this was. I was well satisfied with my stay and I had a room on the second floor facing the west.

Room Tip: 2nd floor was nice and quiet.