“Real Southern Cooking” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Real Southern Cooking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

The restaurant is located in the snow bird town of Venice, FL. It's a small hole in the wall place that you probably wouldn't visit if you didn't hear about it through word of mouth. I'm originally from New Jersey but moved down to FL about two years ago and have fallen in love with southern cooking. Darrell's did not disappoint. We started our meal with Deep Fried Dill Pickles, which were quickly devoured by my boyfriend and father. I ordered the Caesar Salad as a starter. The dressing was wonderful with a slight hint of anchovies and the grated parmesan cheese was fresh. The hit of the night was my boyfriends' shrimp and grits. Shrimp and Grits is one of his favorite meals and he rarely finds a place that makes it to his satisfaction. Well, Darell's didn't disappoint. He said the grits were cheesy and had some hints of spice thrown in and the shrimp was cookied to perfection. My father's brisket was very tender and had a great smokey taste. Each entree came with two sides as well along with a piece of cornbread. The cornbread melted in your mouth. The mac and cheese was creamy and cheesey. What more could you want? What made the meal even better was Darrell himself. Throughout our dinner he went from table to table and not only introduced himself to everyone but made sure to strike up a conversation. How many places will you find that nowadays? So, in closing, I think you should definitely give Darrell's a visit!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“So Good We Went Back The Following Week”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Our first visit to Darrell's was so good that we re returned for dinner the following week. Located in a small mall just minutes from downtown Venice, Darrell's has some of the best Southern food and BBQ i have ever had. We dined outside both times and it we. both found the experience a pleasure. We spoke with both Darrell and his wife, who told us how they began the restaurant just months back and that the place was doing quite well. Both visit's proved that statement as it was crowded on both trips. I had the Beef Brisket Meal with two sides. The BBQ sauce was delicious and there was no fat on the beef. My wife had a fried chicken dinner which she raved about. So if you want good food, ambiance, a knowledgeable staff and good prices go to this eatery soon.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Stepping into Darrell's Restaurant in Venice, Florida one is immediately greeted with a smile. The place smells of delicious BBQ and the patrons are all "smiles." The server greeted right away and was very knowledgable and friendly. I ordered the pulled pork shoulder dinner. It came with cornbread and 2 sides. I went for the sweet potato fries (they are to die for) and the Mac n cheese (can we say creamy cheesy goodness). The pulled pork came dressed in their sweet BBQ sauce and then I added their hot BBQ sauce. I like things spicy! Both of these sauces were excellent. The sweet potato fries came with a honey mustard dipping sauce that was delicious. To drink I had sweet tea...true southern gal here. Or at least at heart....;)
Darrell (the owner) came by multiple times to make sure the food and service was good, as did the waitress. I was so impressed with the service and felt like I was "with family" or "at home." They were all very polite, attentive and full of smiles! I will definitely go back soon!!!! If you like great BBQ and being treated like your family then I highly recommend Darrell's Restaurant.

“Excellent food, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Great southern style food, many items made from scratch. Lovely décor and setting both inside and when dining outdoors. We will be back!

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Venice, Florida
“Great Food & Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Have eaten here several times now with friends and family. Every meal has been wonderful and tasty. The Mac and cheese, pulled pork sandwich, the brisket, the ribs and all of the sides are delicious. Yummy southern comfort food at reasonable prices. Good service, too. Nice that Darrell is often around and stops at tables to get to know his patrons. A nice personal touch. Comfortable seating. Will be going there again soon I am sure!

• Visited April 2014