“Bland food, poor service, dirty” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #55 of 193 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Venice, Florida
“Bland food, poor service, dirty”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Husband and I had lunch here Nov. 6. We are full time residents in Venice for a year and decided to finally give Sharkey's a try. As we were brought to our indoor table, I noticed dirty floors and an unappealing entryway. I unwrapped my utensils and saw crusty food on it. Our order was taken and food arrived quickly. That was the last contact with our waitress or any waitstaff until we asked for the check. Not once during our entire meal, did she return to ask how everything was or if we needed anything. Our iced tea was never refilled. Even when she removed our plates, she didn't ask how it was which should be the minimum indication that she even cared. I can't say she was rude but just did not give proper service.

The grouper I ate was so bland, I had to smother it in tartar sauce to get some flavor. Husbands food was just ok.

I guess this place is popular for it's location on the beach but I don't feel that makes up for poor service, bland food, and a dirty environment. We will not return to Sharkey's.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

O'Fallon, Missouri
“Absolutely Delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stopped here for lunch after shark tooth hunting. The food was so good. There were 4 of us and everyones meal was served in a timely manner and was very good. The outdoor seating was nice. This was a great meal and we had a very enjoyable time.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“This place is not what it once was.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

We went and decided to have early lunch late dinner. We proceeded to the hostess stand and the girl kept talking on the walkie talkie and asked 4 times if she could seat 2 outside. No one answered her first 3 times and then she insteucted us to the captain morgan hostess stand. We got seated and Pigeons were everywhere. Brushing up against our feet. If you have a fear of birds which there are people who do this place is not for you. I ordered a kobe burger which I have eaten at other places alot. My husband ordered a burger but he got their regular burger. Food came out and my burger looked like a frozen hard puck. I took one bite and i just knew this wasn't a kobe burger. If you have eaten a kobe burger then you will understand. This tasted like those bubba burgers they sell at walmart but actually worse. My husband burger was juicy and well done when he wanted it rare. Mine was hockey puck hard. I literally had to drink my water to keep it fron being so dry and getting stuck in my throat. Waiter asked if there was a problem and I asked him if this is the kobe burger and he said it was. And that they are frozen.Had a smirk on his face as he walked off. My advice is dont go here for the food. Go for the beautiful view. Service is mediocre. Its you average restraunt.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Sarasota, Florida
“Nothing like it used to be.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I guess all the expansion is going to ownership and management's heads, because this place is nothing like it used to be.

Sat outside and our server was clearly disinterested. The menu has been reworked and not for the better. We were constantly assaulted by pigeons (seriously, lots of them around our feet and pecking at us!). Can you say unsanitary?

The food was fair at best. My wife ordered a Kobe burger that came as a frozen patty that had the flavor of sawdust. When the server was questioned, he said "Of course it's frozen, what were you expecting with Kobe?" Excuse me??? She wasn't expecting a frozen patty that McDonalds would have been embarrassed to serve.

This place had better get over themselves and fast, or their new expansion is going to sit relatively empty.

Venice, Florida
“Never again !!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Waitstaff unpleasant...manager uncooperative...food? ..Nothing to write home about !! Value ? NONE !! Way over priced.. TOURIST TRAP !! Oh and dirty as heck !!

• 3 of 5 stars Food