“has potential but time will tell” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Cary, North Carolina
“has potential but time will tell”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

If you are reading reviews of this restaurant, you should check the date. This restaurant has only been open a few months and when we were there it still seemed to be settling in. The hostess thought the music started at 7 rather than 6 and seated us at a booth next to the musician. Oddly enough, the speakers were directional enough that it wasn't an issue for us. There are 3 areas: outside with tables with umbrellas, a small bar area that was very crowded, and a large dining area with a musician playing and singing soft 60's/70's music. We ate in the large dining area. Our waiter was very efficient and friendly. Menu is upscale and a little pricey for the beach. After taking our order, a bread dish arrived – 4 round rolls with 3 different butters - very upscale looking. It will be interesting to see how this evolves: is it a bar, an upscale restaurant, or a Tiki outside bar.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Venice
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

We have driven by numerous times on our way to the beach. We have seen this property take many titles in the past 20+ years. Finally, we decided to stop in for dinner. We figured we didn't have anything to lose. You walk into a large bright and colorful lobby which surprised us. We asked to dine outside on the patio. Our waiter was an extremely nice and friendly young man. He made sure we had everything we wanted and needed. I had the filet (cooked just as I had ordered: med rare) with garlic mashed potatoes and cole slaw. All three items were delicious. My husband had the salmon and it was perfect as well. The entire experience was really nice! We will return.

Bangor, Maine
“Pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We were looking for different restaurant but decided to have lunch here. Had misgivings - the menu was standard American hotel restaurant but glad we stayed. Husband had the the bleu burger. The patty was hand shaped, cooked perfectly and v. tasty. Fries were hot and crisp. I had Cobb salad with grilled chicken strips. Chicken was perfectly seasoned and hot off the grill, veggies obviously prepped in the kitchen, avocado slices perfectly ripe. Service was friendly and attentive.

We'll return again for sure -

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
North Port, Florida
“lunch for 17”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We had a lunch ride for our local HOG chapter today. 17 hungry bikers! We called ahead to let them know how many and they were very prepared. The food came out fresh and hot, the server was very attentive to our needs. The coffee was fresh and good, not the normal watered down coffee most places serve. Presentation of the food was very nice. The cook, Steve, even popped out of the kitchen to see how we all enjoyed our meal. I am pretty sure that we will be back again. Two thumbs up!!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Venice, Florida
“Not a great way to introduce yourself to the community”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was my wife's and my first visit to the Grille and, unless I start hearing of better food and service, it will be our last. Our visit was 11:30 on a Wednesday morning.

Our appetizer, cheddar-broccoli soup was disappointing. First there was no evidence of broccoli and second, it really tasted like it was made from a frozen concentrate or came from a can. Our waiter assured us it was made from scratch and if it was, the chef needs a soup-making class.

For lunch I had the Caesar chicken wrap and my wife had the Philly cheese steak. My chicken wrap was bland and the chicken itself was mealy, though the lettuce in the wrap was crisp and fresh. Overall it was not worth the $9 price. My wife's Philly cheese steak was okay at best, but there was more bread to the sandwich than 'guts'. It was a little on the greasy side as well and the cheese? It's that weird orange goo that comes in a can, not very tasty.

Our waiter was polite, but overwhelmed. He was on duty by himself and was trying to take care of five tables, one of them had nine in the party. We spent a LONG time waiting for the check.

I know they are new, and perhaps there are some 'kinks' to still work out, but this low quality food and poor service really is not the way introduce yourself to the community. And, IMHO, I question the other "5 Star" reviews for this restaurant, they seem a little, well, similar to me.

• Visited January 2013