“How to eat well for less” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #97 of 215 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: American
Bacup, United Kingdom
“How to eat well for less”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

visited BoB Evans several times on our recent vacation in Venice. great food, great staff, and super service. you just cant go wrong at Bob Evans.

Visited September 2013

“Good Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This restaurant has had a makeover recently - new decor, tables, chairs, carpets etc. It looks nice.

We went for breakfast and had scrambled egg, and meat - I had bacon, my better half had sausage. Perfectly cooked and tasty.

We are signed up to receive their coupons by email and I noticed that Monday to Thursday their was a BOGO coupon. I guess everyone else in town went for breakfast whilst that offer was on, because, today, Friday, we had the place almost to ourselves - what a treat!

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Foods and Comfort”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Bob Evans Restaurants have gone downhill lately. They start serving new foods and when the diners start to like it, they remove it from the menu. Examples are spinach salad w/ hot bacon dressing, fish and chips. They are still serving menus that were popular in the 1950's (meat loaf and turkey). It is time they put more choices on the menu. The restaurant in Venice needs more booths desparately and they came in and re-modeled it by moving the cashier, so we have more room to sit and wait for one of the few booths available. Most people in this area prefer booths and they could have easily put at least 6 more in, but they do not care if their customers wait 20 or 30 minutes to be seated. Their prices have gone up, so those BOGO are no bargain. The staff is very nice, but the problems are the result of corporate mis-management.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Venice, Florida
“good food - love those BOGO coupons !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We eat there quite often. The food and service are very good. We take advantage of the BOGO coupons, so the meals are very reasonably priced. Convenient to shopping with plenty of parking. Great place to have lunch after shopping.

Visited June 2013
Orlando, Florida
“Filthy, bad food and a manager who needs much more training. Or a new job.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We went the restaurant in Venice, FL for lunch today and the meal was horrendous.

When my Mother, Grandmother and I entered, there was no signage telling us to seat ourselves or wait to be seated. We weren't acknowledged by the cashier or any of the wait staff and there was no host to be found. After a few minutes I walked over to the area where five servers were standing around and asked if we seated ourselves. I was told no, the host would seat us. The host was clearing tables. I said I can see two booths cleared right now, he doesn't seem to be clearing anything.

A young man, the missing host, appeared from the kitchen swinging door a minute later and took us to one of the empty booths I had noted.

A server came over, took our drink order, returned a few minutes later and took the food order. There was no issue with the server. While we were waiting, we took note of how dirty the floor was. There were pieces of paper, napkins, crumbs and straw wrappers and clearly no one had run a carpet sweeper. When the table across from us cleared, I watched the busser wipe the table and sweep all the crumbs and paper debris right onto the floor. It was quite apparent how the restaurant became so filthy.

After our order was placed, it seemed to take a long time. This was only a table of three, with a burger and two chicken sandwiches. There were at least six servers, four empty tables in my direct view and certainly no reason for such a significant wait. I looked at my watch after a while and it took 17 minutes after I started keeping track. The restaurant wasn't crowded. The people at the table catty corner to us flagged down their server and asked where their food was.

Finally, when the food arrived, the server warned us the plates were hot. The plates not only weren't hot, the food was look-warm at best. I ordered the burger and the roll was dry like it had been left out overnight. The burger itself was so overcooked that my Grandmother asked if I had ordered it charred. The fries were dry and cold. It was awful. My Mother and Grandmother's chicken sandwiches were cooked fine, but their rolls were also incredibly stale. Their side orders were fruit. The rotten grape topping the fruit bowl was a nice touch. Who is running your kitchen that serving this quality of food is acceptable? And why are your servers allowed to stand around doing nothing while food is sitting waiting to be served?

When the server came around a few minutes later and asked how it was, I said horrid. Absolutely horrendous. I detailed the issues. She asked if I wanted it replaced. I said no. I didn't want to wait another 20 minutes and clearly there was an issue with the rolls as all three of our meals were served on stale bread. The server brought a box so I could give the burger to the dog, but removed the stale roll, and a plate full of dried, cold french fries.

The server immediately left and walked straight over to the manager. I could see her describe the issue and nodded toward our table. The manager did nothing. He didn't come over to the table to apologize, to seek some input, to find out the issues. Nothing. He did nothing.

At the same time the table that previously asked where their food was, sent back a plate of bacon because it was cold.

There is an area in the restaurant that is between the kitchen and the seating area that is behind frosted glass. This is where all the servers and the manager seem to hang out. I have no idea where the food is prepared, but since cold food is such an issue with a restaurant at only 70 percent capacity, an expeditor or a more attentive manager might be in order.

When my Mother and Grandmother finished their meals, the server brought the ticket. With the burger still on the ticket. My Mother asked for the manager. She didn't say anything about removing the burger meal. There was a significant wait. In the mean time, the server returned with a new ticket and the burger removed. Finally the manager arrived. My Mother explained the issues and he gave some ineffective apology, but by that time, the damage was done. When the problem was first brought to his attention, he should have come to the table, not 20 minutes later after the server solved the ticket issue and the customer requested his presence.

As we were leaving, we passed three manual floor sweepers. It's too bad no one thought to use them.

Later we were discussing the visit with my Grandmother's neighbor. She volunteered that they had Thanksgiving Dinner at the same restaurant. She said "Never again." She also had a less than satisfactory experience.

• Visited May 2013