“Overrated and overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Fernandina Beach, Florida
“Overrated and overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Went with about 12 adults and children. Service was good, restaurant clean. Food is overpriced and not that good. The big deal is your personal chef cooking up in front of your party. Ours was so so, at the next grill table the chef was much more entertaining, however the food is average and the price steep for what you get. I have eaten in other Kumo's and they are all the same. This was my last time.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Venice, Florida
“Save your money from an overpriced and overrated experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We had a Christmas Party at Kumo's recently, figuring we would give it another shot after last year's average experience. What a mistake that was.

Our party numbered about 20, and we had one server for the whole party. I told two friends of mine that I would buy them their first round of drinks, so I clearly told the server to put their first round of drinks on my bill. He assured me it was taken care of. When I received the bill however, I had a massive case of sticker shock. Not only did he put their first round of drinks on my bill, but he put their meal, their appetizers and their second round of drinks on my bill.

To add to an already infuriated experience, our server seemed distracted and when we asked him for a refill on a drink, took him 15-20 minutes to oblige us. The sodas that our party had, were flat and didn't taste right.

The meals we ordered, the Rice was severely overcooked and the food was borderline average for the prices paid (Overpriced) The server was too busy spending time in the back to acknowledge us.

With food that wasn't that good, soda that tasted raw, and an easy billing request that was botched and had me paying twice as much as I should have, I won't be going back. Others in my party also complained about the service, stating we shouldn't go back there. I'm definitely inclined to agree.

In closing, I wouldn't recommend Kumo's to my worst enemy, let alone anyone else. They seem to be caught up in the atmosphere, and that's what will catch you off guard. However, a nice atmosphere won't be able to fool the smart diner who will realize that the food is atrocious, overpriced and not worth it. If you're looking for quality Japanese cuisine, go to J-Pan in Lakewood Ranch. It may be a little more money, but the food is far superior and the servers are actually competent and listen to your requests.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Hostess from hell”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We decided to stay local and we were looking for sushi to eat. We stopped by Kumo and immediatley greeted by a humourless hostess. She brought us to a table that we didn't like so we asked to be seated at one of the many open booths. She rolled her eyes and sighed out loud. I asked her what was wrong and she ignored my question and gave me a cold stare. My wife spoke to the manager about this but he didn't seem to care. The waitress was nice but the sushi was just average. All in all it was a very disappointing night and we won't return.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Venice, Florida, United States
“Wonderful and fresh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

The bride and I recently made our first visit to the new location of Kumo. It is lovely inside and the food is still of the first quality. We had the Tuna Tataki appetizer followed by a couple of rolls. All the fish was very fresh, the service was very good, and the atmosphere was very comfortable. The hibachi tables are in a separate room which should make it more bearable noise-wise when they are in full swing.

If you like sushi, give this Kumo a try.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“good sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is an above average sushi restaurant in Venice. Atmosphere is nice, service is good, and the food is good. It is not exceptional . Have been to both lunch and dinner here and must say lunch is excellent, the bento boxes are fantastic, dinner was good but not great. We will return.

• Visited October 2013