“Should definitely be #1!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blu' Island Bistro

Blu' Island Bistro
625 Tamiami Trl S, On the Island of Venice, Attached to the Island Sun Inn Hotel, Venice, FL 34285
+1 941-485-8200
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 210 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery
Description: Restaurant 7 days, breakfast all day, Dinners, Fri/Sat nights, Catering. Executive Chef/Owner from Philly who is also a Culinary Institute of America graduate, expect the best. Winner of "Iron chef" locally, "People's Choice Award" and "Best of Philadelphia." A gourmet twist to everyday favorites, with a "Philadelphia/Up North" style menu you won't find anywhere else. Beachy chic, comfortable, a favorite of locals! Located on the Island, across from the Venice Hospital/Venice Car Wash. Open 7 days, breakfast all day, dinners (reservations) Fri/Sat. Nights with a different menu weekly!
Zephyrhills, Florida
“Should definitely be #1!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

My husband and I visited Blu Island Bistro 3 times this past week while staying in Venice. We were excited to go there again after last year's experience and were not disappointed. Between us and our granddaughter we had their Eggs Benedict, Mushroom Medley Omelet, hamburger, Stuffed Trout, Kobe beef sliders, Cajun Shrimp Pasta, Chocolate Mousse Cake and Berry Cobbler with Jim Beam Sauce. Everything we sampled was outstanding. The restaurant was clean and I can't say enough wonderful things about Chef Alan and his staff. I highly recommend Blu Island Bistro as not only the best restaurant in Venice but probably in my top two if not one ever!

alan l, Owner at Blu' Island Bistro, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
mamala148,

Thanks so much for spending so much time with us! We truly appreciate you choosing us for dining in Venice! I am very pleased you enjoyed your meals and your kind words will be shared with my staff. Thanks again for taking the time to write a review!

Hamden, Connecticut
“Finally, good food in Florida!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We have been visiting from CT for over two years now, ever since my folks relocated to Venice, and until this afternoon I was convinced that this part of Florida is a culinary wasteland. Visiting Blu' Island Cafe today has given us hope! I have never had a more delicious sandwich than the BLT at Blu. Chef's perfectly rendered pecan-smoked bacon paired with the tang of an expertly seasoned fried green tomato and topped with a fried egg will have me dreaming about his sandwich until our next trip to Venice. Some might ask, "well how can you screw up a BLT?" I would ask, how did this kitchen manage to elevate the lowly BLT to the status of a delicacy that I can't wait to describe to my restaurant staff back home? In addition to the excellent food, the staff was friendly and helpful and our server indulged my step father in a taste of each beer on tap until she could determine how to best suit his preferences.
We will definitely be back to visit before we leave. Your whole team is doing great work, Blu! Thanks so much!

alan l, Owner at Blu' Island Bistro, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Mrs. Hoag,

I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit! Thank you for the great compliments! So glad you enjoyed your BLT, I aim to put a gourmet twist on everything I make. Your kind words will be shared with my staff for all to read :) Please say hello next time you visit!

Chef/owner Alan
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Fresh, Home Cooked and Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Recently stopped here for lunch and it didn't disappoint, when we arrived it was very quiet outside but inside it was very busy. Everything was freshly cooked and tasted amazing, lovely friendly atmosphere, filled with local people.

alan l, Owner at Blu' Island Bistro, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
CBendelow,

Thank you! I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit with us. I will share your comments with my staff...and thanks for taking the time to write us a review!

Venice, Florida
“Find it, you will like it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Executive Chef Alan Laskowski serves up 3 meals a day at the Blu. We were there for dinner with a group of 12 so we were able to see and sample just about everything on the dinner menu. Each dish was served with elegant presentation and tasted even better than it looked. The atmosphere is better tuned to couples and small groups as its décor better fits the those needs. We tended to be a noisy bunch. No matter though, we were welcomed by the owner's family, and received excellent service. Aside from my wife's pork chops, the cop here was the best I ever had. The clam chowder and Berry salad were outstanding. Our friends at the table had the salmon and grouper. Both raved about the delicacy of the catch preparation. The prices were very good for value received.

Since I live close by, I will definitely try the breakfast and lunch offerings.
Don't let the rather obscure location and interesting name scare you off. "try it and you will like it!"

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
alan l, Owner at Blu' Island Bistro, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hugh,

Thanks so much for writing us a review! I am pleased my pork chops come in second to your wife's...thats a huge compliment! Groups are fun, and we do our best to accomodate everyone. We look forward to seeing you for breakfast or lunch, please say hello when you are in next!

Thanks again,
chef/owner Alan
Venice, Florida
“Good food most of the time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We have always enjoyed Blu Bistro, especially breakfast and their variety of choices from eggs benedict to the blu burrito. Always very good, we were just so disappointed the last time we went there was a hair mixed in the egg and when my friend told the waitress, she apologized and said she'd get her another, however my friend was so grossed out she just didnt want anything else. She brought the bill and charged us for the eggs benedict. We understand that this is the exception because we have always had good food, however no one came over and said a word. We paid the bill and left and probably will not return. We thought that possibly she didnt tell the Chef, either way it was very disappointing.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
alan l, Owner at Blu' Island Bistro, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
asial,

Thank you for writing a review. I am very disappointed with your experience and please know that there clearly was a communication breakdown with my staff and I, and an oversight regarding your bill. We want you to continue to enjoy the restaurant, and please know that this was unacceptable to me. I have discussed this review with my staff, and appreciate you bringing this to my attention. Please come in again, as this was completely out of the norm for us, and ask for me, or my manager Kim.

Thanks again,