“WHAT A TREAT!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banyan House Historic Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Venice
Banyan House Historic Bed and Breakfast
519 South Harbor Drive, Venice, FL 34285   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Venice B&B and Inns
Yulee, Florida
“WHAT A TREAT!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

This was our first stay here, but won't be our last! My wife and I stayed here 3 nights and the accomodations were excellent (clean, roomy and comfortable). The host and hostess (Chuck and Susan) are extremely friendly and helpful and the breakfasts were outstanding! We made friends at breakfast and the location is perfect to town, beach, etc.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Palm Room and the bath might be a high step for a handicap person.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

With all these good reviews, you hardly need another in order to make a decision of where to stay in Venice. Chuck and Susan are delightful hosts, offering all the special touches and remembrances. The grounds of the Banyan House are wonderful, complete with a private hot tub and the first swimming pool in Venice. We're told Thomas Edison stayed here. We had the room overlooking the street, with a little private porch and its own back entrance. Breakfasts are homemade and each different during our stay. Susan and Chuck offer warm hospitality, with local history, recommendations, and genuine kindness. During our stay, we met people from Germany, England and New York. They offer free use of bikes. It's one of those "no problem" kind of places, in every respect. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Branch, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

The Banyan House was indeed the best vacation spot we have ever experienced. We have been going back for seven years now and have always had a wonderful time there. There is always something to do...including the pool, hot tub, exercise room and the room where we played pool most evenings. The owners, Susan and Chuck couldn't be more accommodating and do everything possible to insure an enjoyable stay. It is a wonderful get away from the cold New Jersey winters.

Room Tip: All rooms are great...as are the breakfasts
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Highly recommend the Banyan House! The Inn is beautiful, Susan and Chuck are great hosts, the grounds are spectacular and there is not a nicer place on the island! We will return.

Room Tip: I don't believe you could choose a bad room. I toured most of them and there are good qualities...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Seabrook, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

our 8th stay @ the banyan house was as great as our 1st. sue & chuck make you feel @ home in this beautiful restored 1926 mansion. breakfast each morning is amazing, the gardens & pool are a bit of paradise. can not wait for a return visit.

Room Tip: all the rooms are great
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

This is our second trip to the Banyan B&B on the island in Venice, FL. Proprietors Susan and Chuck see to your every need to make your stay a pleasant one. Unbelievable breakfasts challenge your palate each AM at 9. Beach cruiser bikes await you as you circumnavigate all the ins and outs of the island. A pool and hot tub are ready when you wish to relax. As other reviewers have noted, the inn is filled with antiques and curios to calm your senses.

There really aren't any comparable places to stay - the Inn at the Beach is a motel but is cheaper (but not much) if you prefer that. I recommend this place highly!

Room Tip: One room has an outside entrance for privacy. Others have secluded decks under the massive banyan t...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I wish to say at the outset that I had reservations to stay at the Banyan House but cancelled them after a couple of difficulties regarding my reservation. I am writing this review to share my experience that the innkeepers seem to consider changing a reservation's terms proper.

Susan was very friendly and patient when I called in August to make a reservation. I also had a good feeling about the inn, which the local chamber of commerce had recommended.

I was concerned when my prompt confirmation did not include my rate. On inquiring about this, Susan informed me that the 2012 rates may increase but that she did not expect any increase to be significant.

Susan does get points for sensing my unhappiness with facing a higher rate than the one that existed when I made my reservation and for agreeing to not apply any increase to my stay. However, I did not think that changing any rate after a reservation was made was proper.

I even explained to Susan that I always book my "winter thaw out" trip in August because I know that B&Bs book up early during their busy times. I added that a few places that I have stayed had also told me that their rates increased in the period between making my reservation and my actual stay but never even asked me to pay the higher amount.

I was pleasantly surprised to receive a Christmas card from the Banyan House but unpleasantly surprised to see that the enclosed letter was primarily about adverse changes that were understandably due to economic challenges that the innkeepers were facing.

The only change that really bothered me was a notice that the inn was charging a four-percent fee for using a credit card. This was a significant change to my reservation.

The more minor changes included no longer providing a newspaper or telephone service.

I initially decided that I would not raise a fuss because I had already made an issue of the potential rate increase. I also decided that I would just pay cash.

After a particularly expensive January, and calculating the cash expenses that I would incur on the trip, I determined that having to pay the inn nearly $800 in cash would be burdensome.

Susan did kindly allow me to cancel my reservation. I was a bit put out that Chuck's polite response to my feedback regarding the change and the fact that it was in a Christmas card seemed to ignore that my issue was having a pre-existing reservation, rather than a policy change, and that Susan did not have time to send both a Christmas card and a second mailing that explained the austerity measures.

I suspect strongly that the inn does have an email mailing list of past and future guests and could have sent the notice of the cutbacks in an email.

I doubt that I will ever stay there out of concern that the terms of my stay will change materially before I arrive.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Banyan House Historic Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!