“On site manager makes all the difference.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kon Tiki Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Venice
Kon Tiki Motel
Save Saved
You added Kon Tiki Motel to your Saves list
1487 S Tamiami Trail, Venice, FL 34285   |
Ranked #7 of 12 hotels in Venice
West Palm Beach, Florida
“On site manager makes all the difference.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I watched this hotel being built in the early '70s. I was coming back to Venice by boat and this is the only motel with navigable access (it is adjacent to a Marine Max marina) I could find in Venice. I didn't expect too much given the low $80 price. I was wrong. The room was spacious, with a full kitchen and everything was spotless and well maintained. The reason why became obvious when we met the manager. He and his wife live on site and they let nothing go that needs attention.

Motel is close to a road and adjacent to a drawbridge over the waterway. That generates a bit of noise, but didn't bother me while sleeping.

Since we arrived by boat and didn't have a car, only downside is that restaurants were about a mile walk away. The motel manager offered to arrange to get a rental car for us, but we came in too late to make that work.

Room Tip: Only ten rooms so not much difference among them.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

wow! I was completely blown away with this little hidden gem in Venice, FL!! I previously stayed somewhere else in town and I will never stay anywhere else again. I was in town for LPGA qschool at Plantation Golf Club. It's only about a ten minute drive. I chose Kon Tiki based on the great reviews and the very pet friendly remarks! Each unit is it's own bungalow. The units are beyond clean!! hotel is right next to the Venetian Waterway bike path. great place to take the dogs! They only charged $30 for the week for my two dogs and the owner really likes the dogs!! The owner was beyond friendly and accommodating! Felt safe and very cozy during my stay! Make sure you try Gold Rush BBQ down the street! Kon Tiki is just the getaway you are looking for!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a few days in room 7 and we loved it! Everything is close by even the beaches and everyone is so friendly and the rooms are so clean and well kept, the pool was soooooooo nice. Karl, "Thank you" so much for all the helpful tips on the sharks teeth we will be back. ;)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We spent 2 days with Karl @ Kon Tiki & enjoyed every moment. Even though it is next door to a boat shop, you would never know it. It is tucked in between the drawbridge and boat business and secluded so well. We never heard any noise from either so no issues there! Karl is so kind and accomodating. I love that there are only 10 efficiencies. You usually have the pool to yourselves and eveyone opens up & talks to each other. Not like @ the huge hotels where people don't even bother to say, "hello". Everything was clean & the beaches are very close by.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 full weeks. We can honestly say that there isn't anything negative about this place in our eyes. Karl, Jackie & Linda couldn't be nicer. They take care of the facility and their guests perfectly. With only 10 efficiencies that are comfortable and spacious, heated swimming pool, central HVAC (no noisy window AC units) and being on the island close to downtown Venice and beaches what more could one ask for. This will be our vacation home from now on.

Room Tip: We were in room 8 that overlooked the swimming pool, intercoastal waterway and draw bridge. When we...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

My husband and I decided to take advantage of Venice's dog beach during our annual visit to see his great aunt. We planned to stay at her house which does not allow dogs, and board our pit lab mix. However, the boarding kennel was less than we hoped for and we picked up our dog after one night. We set out to find a hotel that would take a 60 lb dog. We stumbled across the Trip Advisor reviews for the Kon Tiki after having no luck locating a chain hotel near our family that would allow our dog. I called and spoke to Karl who didn't even want a credit card deposit to hold the room for us. We were pleasantly surprised to find the room to be as large as it was, even with 2 Queen beds, the kitchenette and our large dog crate. Karl even offered to let our dog out if we planned on being gone for an extended period! A modern updated hotel it is not, but it is cleaner than some of the finest places we've stayed with a degree of care and pride that can only come from the on site owners who run the place. Don't let the smell of cigarettes scare you in the lobby as the rooms were fresh smelling and spotless. Yes, the bedding and furniture were dated and worn, but the cleanliness, location, pet policy, size, and kitchenette far make up for the decor. We are already planning out next trip back and look forward to early mornings walks along the inter coastal water way and the short drive to the dog beach. With all of this said, we almost hate to give a great review to keep the Kon Tiki an unspoiled secret!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

There are only about 10 or so efficiency units that are like a time-capsule from the 70's ( if not the 50"s). The units are extremely clean and the staff works very hard and are very helpful. Don't expect to be able to cook much as the kitchens are not well equipped. There is a BBQ for guests' use. The bedding is old but the sheets and towels are perfectly clean. The beach, including the dog beach, are a very easy ride away, as is downtown Venice with its restaurants and boutiques. The value here cannot be beat.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kon Tiki Motel? Share your experiences!