“This was a fun long weekend!” 4 of 5 stars

Island Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9980 Gulf Blvd., Treasure Island, FL 33706   |
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Treasure Island
Ft Lauderdale
“This was a fun long weekend!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was a fun long weekend!

My best advice is read the reviews of this property. They are for the most part correct and true to our experience. If you want fancy then pay for fancy somewhere else. If you understand what the phrase “old school Florida Hotel” means, and that appeals to you, then you will be fine with this location. We had a wedding in Treasure Island and the location was perfect for us.

The staff is GREAT. Front desk goes out of their way to make your family beach experience fun. We used the FREE amenities to make our weekend better. We used the “stand-up” paddle boards and the kayaks. My kids laughed and loved it when the dolphins would swim by our kayak. We saw a large pod of sting rays and of course you never get tired of seeing the dolphins swim. A prior guest had left sand toys so we used those each day and one night we used the hotel’s grill. Our room was 202 and had two beds and a pull out couch. The tile floor was nice. The kitchen had everything we needed to have breakfast in our room and allowed the kids to run back up to the room for lunch or a snack. The bathroom was updated and had a nice shower. Beds are due to be replaced, but not evil.

We had a beverage at Rick’s and swam in the very warm, heated pool.

Due South, within walking distance on the beach, is a beach-bar called Caddy’s. Food is fine and on the weekends it gets crowded with sun-worshipers.

When I have a preference of where we stay in Pinellas County, than I like Clearwater Beach better. I find there are more things to do, more restaurants and more hotel choices. I am a big fan of the original restaurant “Frenchy’s” (http://frenchysonline.com/) and the “Crabby Bills” in Indian Rock Beach.

Although we did not go this visit, we have been to the Salvador Dali Museum in St Pete. (http://thedali.org/home.php) They have an audio tour for adults and a separate audio tour for the kids. The kid’s version is narrated by Dali’s mustache. The whole family enjoyed our tour.

For those of you out of state I hope this review helps. Please come to Florida often!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Polish first
Waldwick, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Let me start off by saying if your looking for something like the Ritz Carlton, then this place is not for you. But if your looking for a clean room with a great view and right on the beach, then look no further. True the place is a little dated but again it's clean and the front desk was very helpful.

Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

the views of the gulf are great but the inside needs a lot of work, some rooms are private owned, they are in it for the money no doubt, our room needs to be gutted, way over priced for what you get, service is pretty good although for the most part, a lot of partying going on, especially on the weekend, if you are looking for quiet and relaxing you may want to go elsewhere, the rooms are very small, the bathroom sink is by the door entrance, the rooms smell extremely musty. the air conditioner is window mounted/loud/noisy/only inches from the bed, lot of drunks at the tiki bar on the weekend, pricing at the tiki bar is inconsistent and the overweight chick that works there really should put on some clothes and not hang out of her thong-like apparel

Room Tip: shop around, go for cleaner and quieter unless you like to party and get wasted
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is perfect if you really want to experience the beach but can't afford the fancy, more expensive beach hotels. I am a teacher and was on a girls' trip for my spring break and didn't want to spend a fortune and this was great for us. Having a kitchen in the room really kept costs down and we stayed on the fifth floor where I could keep the sliding door open to listen to the ocean at night without worrying about too much pool noise in the morning.

I did find a few surprises, however. If you are afraid of heights or are wary of your little ones, don't stay on a high floor--the open-air walkways feel a bit narrow when you're 5 stories up. The mattresses felt like they were last changed decades ago (gave my friend a sore back and we're in our 20's) but they were right by the balcony which I liked. When I got to my room before my friend I used the bathroom right away and then went down to the beach. About an hour later when I returned I realized the toilet was running and when I called down to the front desk the girl said the maintenance person had left for the day so I'd have to wait until morning. This is a very annoying problem that wastes a lot of water and I know how to fix it so I just used the grilling fork in the silverware drawer to fish the disconnected chain out of the fill tank of the toilet and reattached it. Not exactly what I saw myself doing on my vacation--but oh well.

BUT the kitchen, free kayaks, quiet beach and tiki bar made up for the self-repair earlier in my stay. There is nothing like grilling out while watching a picture-perfect sunset and then taking a stroll down a quiet stretch of beach with the waves crashing at your feet once it gets dark. No one really mentions the fishing pier on the bay side of the hotel in the parking lot either! (Fun place to sit and watch for dolphins) I will definitely be returning--just maybe at a time when I can get a little bit better of a deal than the high-season rate for the hotel.

Room Tip: If you get a room on either end of the ocean view you get a corner to your balcony and no neighbor o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Niles, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My idea of heaven on earth. We were on the 6th floor beach side. Able to open balcony door and hear the surf day and night! Saw Dolphins two mornings in a row. Walked on the powder soft sand and swim I. The pool. Your choice. I will return for sure!

Room Tip: Loved being on an upper level so we could have the balcony door open.
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Terrific location right on the beach on a relatively quiet section of the Gulf shore. Rooms on the small side, in serious need of updating. Tiny bathroom. Mattress overdue for replacement. Dangerous looking electrical connections with residential style extension cords and power strips because of a lack of sufficient outlets. No fee wireless Internet connection in the room. Lot of Gulf Blvd. traffic noise in the room. Nice poolside bar with enthusiastic staff.

The Treasure Island area is a good base for your Gulf adventure. There are dozens of ocean beachfront and Intercostal frontage hotels. Evaluate several for the level of accommodations and value to best fit your needs.

Crown Point, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Overall stay was good, however our car got white spray paint all over it including the windows by a maintenance guy who was spray painting pieces of metal outside the back of the building next to our car and others that were parked there. We noticed after we washed it once we arrived home and we have placed several calls to the resort and the manager will not return our call. We were there from Wednesday April 3 to Saturday April 6

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Island Inn? Share your experiences!