“Enjoyed it” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 45 Hotels in Treasure Island
Glace Bay, Canada
“Enjoyed it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We just came back from 3 nights in treasure Island, Florida and loved it. The Thunderbird resort staff were very friendly and helpful. The resort itself is an older structure, but our room was clean and mostly updated.( I'm not easily impressed, especially with cleanliness, and I had no issues here) the grounds were well kept and our room was perfectly quiet.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Palm Harbor, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I was a little weary staying in an older hotel. No worries, this place is spotless. The help are friendly and helpful. The only downside is it is right on the beach.... except the beach is 1/4 away. Love it and will stay again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
St Petersburg, florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I was very satisfy with the professionalism from Amanda and Marty at the front desk along with other staff members. Everything was taken care and I just had to enjoy my vacation. It was the first time my daughter came to Treasure Island and she love it. I would definitely recommend the Hotel to all my family and friends in the future I will also be staying there love the room and the view.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Saint Cloud, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I choose the Thunderbird Resort on Treasure Island after reading reviews online but I have to say I was disappointed in the hotel. The beach was gorgeous and the location was good ,shopping and restaurants were within walking distance. The room was average at best. We had a poolside suite which was supposed to have a queen size bed. The bed in the room was clearly a double,uncomfortable and the pillows were hard as a rock. The water pressure was very weak. Also the free wifi was practically non existent unless you needed to use the internet in the middle of the night as that was the only time it was available. The website also advertises that they have a restaurant on property but it was closed and for lease when we arrived. I will not be choosing this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1hotelgirl, Manager at Thunderbird Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are sorry that your experience at our hotel did not meet up with your expectations. All of our poolside suites have either 1 king bed, 1 queen bed or 2 double beds. The room you had did have one queen, it was measured to make sure after we received this review, we wanted to make sure that something hadn't been switched. We only use comforel pillows (the same brand used by Best Western) and they are usually very soft, so I am sorry for your poor nights sleep if the pillow was to hard for your liking. We did check the water pressure to make sure there were no problems and found it to be working fine when we checked it, perhaps it was just during a high volume time when you found it low, again I apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused. As you stated our restaurant is closed currently while we find a suitable tenant to take it over, but we do have a continental breakfast and roughly 13 restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Please give us the opportunity to show you that we can make your vacation great and that what you experienced this time was not the norm for us.
Management
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Thunderbird while attending a wedding in St Pete. Friends suggested it because they had stayed there on vacation for 5 yrs in a row. Unfortunately we didn't know that they always stayed in the original bldg with a gulffront balcony room which was lovely. We also picked gulffront but were put in the old Best Western that was taken over by The Thunderbird. Walls were paper thin so we could hear conversations which sounded like they were right in the room. The living room was nice but bedroom and bath on the small side.
The hotel is right on the beach affording a beautiful view and had 2 pools and an outdoor bar which is very popular in the evening.
I would definitely stay in the original bldg if I were to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013
Smyrna, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

This was our first trip to Treasure Island. We normally stay in Clearwater . It far exceeded what I thought we might experience. The manager was attentive and the entire staff from check-in to the room attendants went out of their way to make sure we had the best experience. Everyone was friendly and they cared and it showed. Now if you like newer buildings then Thunderbird might not be for you, but if you like friendly attentive people who seem to enjoy their work you will fit right in. I also enjoyed the old photos and the history of the place. Hope to come back in the Spring.

My one complaint is the distance to walk to the ocean. That is a complaint for Treasure Island not the Thunderbird.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

First, the location is very good and is convenient to restaurants, shops and a Publix up the road - all walking distance. Being right on the beach walkway is nice as well. Evening entertainment at the 'Tiki Bar' was okay. Very interesting mix of guests while we were there in April 2013...some a bit sketchy and this was confirmed by other guests who regularly vacation at the Thunderbird for years. The set up is one of the problems, having seating out in the open balcony areas which serve as a hallway to all rooms. People tend to congregate at all hours out there, and I really did not need to over hear their conversations about divorce and scoring some illegal substances! With that being said, with the AC fan on high and ear plugs, a passable night's sleep can be had and the room itself was clean though dated and had seen better days. Parking is limited and an issue...very tight!

In the end you get what you pay for - though not my first choice, and not likely to return, if you go with reasonable expectations and perhaps are a bit luckier with the dispositions of fellow guests (may not be a regular issue based on other reviews), I think a nice visit can be had.

I have stayed in many different accommodations over the years and take into account location, cleanliness, service and other considerations with my ratings while keeping cost in perspective. The location might normally have bumped this review up to very good, but in order to be consistent and fair to my other reviews, and based on my actual experience, this rates only a 'good'.

Room Tip: Suggest a second floor room, and the building next door to the main building if you want to be where...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. We do appreciate criticisms as well as praise, because only in knowing what our guests think is wrong can we make corrections. Our Tiki bar is frequented by our guests and locals alike and most come for the music. Our musicians are some of the best in the area and have played with us for years. I'm sorry you didn't like the music yourself, but it seems pretty popular with most. As you came during Spring break we do have a wide range of guests and sometimes they get a little loud,but I wouldn't describe them as sketchy. We do ask that guests not be in public areas after 11pm and security tries to enforce those rules and keep the noise down. Guest repeatedly tell us that they love the open layout of our hotel, because no matter where you are you can see the beach. I'm sorry that your vacation with us didn't meet your expectations. We hope that you would come back and give us another chance to prove what a great vacation location we are.

Been to Thunderbird Beach Resort? Share your experiences!