“Gem!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Treasure Island
Fort Erie, Canada
“Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I booked here when I found out my favourite was full (Alden-I get beachfront there). I was pleasantly surprised by Bilmar. There are 3 buildings. Every room in every building has a view of the beach so you don't have to worry about getting stuck with a room that isn't beachfront. The tall one I stayed in also overlooks the pool & the outdoor/indoor restaurant. It is the cheapest one. The other two buildings are more expensive because you don't also overlook the pool I liked it because it felt like I was at an all-inclusive when I looked out at my window & saw people swimming & getting drinks....it's great in this building if you have children that swim & you can look at your window to see what they are doing (I just went with my husband). It was great to walk across the street to go to either VIP (best mexican food I every had (I never eat Mexican) - I ate a taco salad & I'm still craving it now, or walk to the grocery store (Publix) I also went to sloppy joes restaurant on the premises & it was great too. My favourite restaurants were Lisa's on the Gulf Blvd., Cafe Beach Shanty (this breakfast place is awesome & it's in Clearwater, & Sandy's Breakfast on Gulf Blvd. in Clearwater. I had breakfast at Waffle house & the coffee was cold & food bad. I ate at St. Pete's Pier at Bubba Gumps - it was terrible although I liked the view. I liked this place because you woundn't get bored as there is places to walk to. Tj's restaurant was always so busy across the street so I didn't want to wait to eat. My other favourite place to stay is Beachview Inn in Clearwater, but the drawback is it's across the street to the beach. The beaches do seem to be nicer in Clearwater though. I liked that Bilmar had a fridge & dishes & coffee maker in the room. The room was clean. I would like to go back to Bilmar next October and was just looking at flights. The checkin was easy & the checkout smooth. I rented a convertible from Budget rental which was great to drive around in. I wish I was back there right now!

Room Tip: The rooms in the tall building are not as quiet but I prefer that because I feel like I'm at an...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Nixa, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

My best friend and I stayed here recently (late Oct.2013) for our yearly girls getaway trip and we had a fantastic time!! We will definitely be coming back to have fun! The 2 bars that were attached to the resort were great!! Staff at both locations were absoultely accommodating and very friendly. Everyone was very helpful the minute we stepped in the front doors, from a friendly smile to recommending places to go eat, things to do, etc. The location is perfect because you are right on the beach and you are close to a grocery store, Walgreens, sports bars, and great restaurants. The rooms were very comfortable, the only thing that kept me from giving it an excellent review was that the carts rolling down the halls early in the morning were a bit much and one afternoon there was a cockroach crawling on the floor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hampstead, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

My best friend and I stayed at the Bilmar in August of 2013 as a "getaway" from the stress in our lives. The pictures on the website do not do it justice. From arriving into a beautiful lobby, being greeted by very friendly staff, to opening the door to our gulf front suite.....we were in awe. The beach is wide and the water blue....such a relaxing place. We ate in the restaurants and everything was great. The whole place is clean, our maid was friendly. We have been back since, in October....AND we have already booked our January stay. There is a lot to do in the area from festivals to fine art. A MUST if you are planning a visit to the area.

Room Tip: The queen deluxe suites are great. nice to have a fridge, etc.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Milan, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

First off...we have been traveling to Florida for the past 7 years...and come down about 2-3 times a year...Treasure Island is by far my favorite location to visit! We stayed at the Bilmar for the first time this October and have already booked our room for here in a couple of months...already counting down the days until I get to return! The things I like about this hotel are....1. location 2. Very clean rooms and the staff is very friendly! 3. Bars and restaurants on property. 4. The 2 pools and all of the other amenities and activities they have to do at the hotel.

I would say that I do have only 1 complaint and that would be the carts going up and down the halls so early in the morning.

I would totally recommend this hotel and look forward to my upcoming stay!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

My family and I stayed at this resort in May 2013. We liked it so much that we went back in October 2013. We had a very enjoyable stay. All of the resort staff, from the desk people, to the Bellman, to the the housekeepers and the maintenance staff, made our stay very enjoyable. There were also numerous grounds-keeping staff in perpetual motion cleaning and sweeping the grounds and public restrooms. There was plenty of hot water for showers, great water pressure, clear drains and great one-flush toilets. Air conditioning worked beautifully. The Bilmar is conveniently located within walking distance to a Publix grocery store, Walgreens, and many local bars and restaurants. The "boardwalk" along the resort and the beach are also regularly maintained and cleaned. Overall, we had an awesome experience. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony and view of the ocean are great!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Nice location, great beach, nice rooms but our stay was cut short when I woke up at night due to a cockroach crawling on my arm. If that wasn't bad enough, I turned on the light and to my surprise saw 4-5 more crawling on the walls and yet another hanging out in the shower. After seeing this we couldn't get back to sleep as we dare not turn out the lights and have the roaches return. So, at 4am we packed up and left, cutting short our vacation. If management can get the bug problem under control this could easily be a 5-star rating. Great restaurants nearby, free shuttles available locally, overall nice! Just need to get rid of those nasty cockroaches. We stayed on the 4th floor.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my sincere apology for your unpleasant encounter during your recent visit to the Bilmar Beach Resort. While this type of incident is rare we monitor any reports and focus on a solution. We recently made a major change to our pest control provider and the process. Our new company has now aggressively treated every guest room, storage areas and the perimeter. I believe we have taken the correct steps to minimize any issue like this in the future. I appreciate your observations regarding our resort and the wonderful Treasure Island beach and community. We would be honored to have the opportunity to exceed your expectations on a future visit to Tampa Bay.
Sincerely, Clyde Smith – General Manager
Saratoga Springs, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Bilmar several times. We always go in April as a way to remind us there is a sun! (We live in NY). We have had rooms in all parts of the hotel. They have always been clean, pleasant and there are no bad views. The hotel is right on the beach. You can't beat that! Sloppy Joes is right next door so an afternoon cocktail on the beach is always just a few steps away. The staff has always been solicitous and friendly. My one and only complaint was when we stayed over Easter week and were woken at about 6 AM because of the sunrise service on the beach which was so loud, I thought the music was coming from the room next door. Love the Bilmar and will return!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bilmar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!