“Sea Chest May 2014” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Chest Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Treasure Island
Sea Chest Motel
You added Sea Chest Motel to your Saves list
11780 Gulf Boulevard, Treasure Island, FL 33706   |
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Treasure Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Sea Chest May 2014”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We have stayed at the this motel twice now and in the same room. Our first visit was great, so much so that when vacation time came around we booked once again.

On the second night there, I was so disappointed in finding a cockroach crawling on the kitchen counters and our supplies. Before seeing this roach, I loved the Sea Chest Motel. Yes, It had its quirks (like its thin walls--there is little insulation to keep out other guests' average noises or the staff cleaning a room next to you, or above you), but the positives (beautiful grounds, on the beach, clean, affordable, etc) previously outweighed the negatives. In the past, I have highly recommended this motel to others as a great, clean, and affordable place to stay. I am really disheartened and saddened by this find; I saw a cockroach every night on the Kitchen Counters--A normal brown & averaged size cockroach, not the big ones that Florida is known for having. It made me sick to my stomach. I imagine it can be really hard to keep pests under control, but I was really saddened to have found this bug on our room's counters and our foods.

I am so concerned that one of us in our party can or could have brought roaches home with us in our luggage. And, I was embarrassed for having recommended The Sea Chest Motel to my friends. I feel as if my oasis has been pulled out from under me.

Also, every morning (before 9 am) we were awakened by a knock on the door, it was the cleaning staff, asking if we desired service for that day. The motel really should provide a Do Not Disturb sign, etc for each rooms' door. It would seem to be a helpful aid to the traveler and the Motel's cleaning staff. It is not peaceful and restful to have to get up from a sound sleep to answer the door each morning and having a maid ask if we wanted our room serviced that day.

Not sure what the future holds for this motel and us.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Oskaloosa, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

My wife and I went on a Christmas vacation and decided to stay here. It was a great experience! Very nice location (right on the beach), within walking distance of restaurants and shopping. The hotel is nicely remodeled, well kept and the staff are very pleasant. We decided this is the place we will stay for return trips to Florida.
It took us about 7 minutes to walk from our room to the Gulf, there is alot of beach between the hotel and the water. Check it out on Google Maps.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Homosassa FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed here in December with my family for a long weekend and could not have been happier. We had a room on the second floor and it was huge! So much space that even with five adults staying there, and two more with a baby visiting we all had plenty of space to spread out and stake out our own areas. The kitchen is very well equipped, comfortable chairs and sofas along with a large kitchen table with more comfortable chairs. The bedroom had two queen beds with again plenty of space around them and a very large closet (as well as a walk in closet in the hall!)
The grounds are meticulously groomed, the heated pool was wonderful (as was all the floats and noodles there for you to use.) We enjoyed using the shuffleboard court and wished we had more nights so as to enjoy the grills there for you to use near the sand. As with all the hotels on this stretch of beach, there is a bit of a walk through the sand to the water.
This is an excellent motel, with owners and workers who obviously have a lot of pride in their property as they should! I would highly recommend this property for families, couples and even those who are travelling alone as I am sure you will meet some friendly people by the pool!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We stayed here during July 2013 and wow, what a find! Very clean, great service, almost everything was perfect!
The Good: Like I said, almost everything. The pool, while busy at times, was clean (other than beach sand, which who cares, it's sand!) and a nice break from the pounding of the ocean surf.
The room was LARGE and comfortable. The kitchen was small but had everything we needed, and being small means it was quick and easy to clean up. And speaking of that, we left a few dishes in the sink in the morning and when we came back in the afternoon, CLEAN!. Someone washed them! I didn't expect THAT!
There's a GREAT BBQ grill that we took advantage of. It was right next to another hotel's BBQ grill so while I was grilling I had a nice conversation with the guest of the other hotel. A nice time.

The BAD: Well, nothing was really bad, but here's our only complaints:
1: The parking is limited and TIGHT! If you're not an night owl then you'll get a good parking spot, but if you happen to be out till 8 or 9 then you're stuck parking in the last spot and it's precarious at best. Imagine the park lot is like the letter "U" and everyone noses in on the inside of the "U". Well the last spot is in the center of the "U" at the top. So everyone backing out has the potential of hitting you. I had to park there and the 1st thing in the morning I went out expecting to have dents all over, but there was nothing. I did move it directly though!
2: This may sound a little whinny but the ocean is a LONG walk from the hotel. It's not bad, but the sand of course is crushed sea shells and since we were wearing flip-flops you would get a lot of 'sand' that was very sharp for some reason and have to stop and sometimes drop everything you're carrying (Gin, Tonic, Ice, etc.. HA!) and clean everything out. Not a biggy, but if you forgot anything in the hotel it was a long walk back.

But over all, LOVED this place! While we might look around for a similar place, I don't think you beat the cleanliness, comfort, convenience, and all around up beat ambiance of the Sea Chest Motel, and most likely will be back.

Room Tip: I don't think any room is any better or worse than the other as the ocean is too far away to rea...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Florence, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We stayed just one night, the day after Thanksgiving, for a surprise beach trip for my kids before heading to Disney World...and the kids ended up enjoying the Sea Chest and the beach as much, if not more, than Disney! It was a first trip to the beach for both of my kids, and the Sea Chest was perfect. We stayed in room #108 which faced the ocean. We were literally steps from the sand. The people at the front desk were super nice, and found some sand toys for my children to use during our stay. They also got our room ready for us early, so we could hit the beach since we had such limited time there. We will definitely be back on our next trip to Florida and will spend more than one night!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Romeoville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Because we booked our room too late, we ended up with one of the smallest rooms (it was the only one they had left), but the only reason we have a room is to store our luggage and sleep, and for that it was perfect. The motel is very well run and super clean!!! We enjoyed our stay, and will be going back again. The motel is right on the beach, so we were able to enjoy the beautiful sunsets every night. Because the motel is smaller, it seemed like everyone was friendly (even the guests).

Room Tip: The Sea Chest is popular, so if you want a good room, book early.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Auburndale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

My first time staying at the Sea Chest. The rooms are very nice and very clean
My complaints are:
When I checked in I was told I would be staying in a different room than promised. Mine was given to someone who was here for an extended visit.
Hskp. Asked if I wanted service and I told them no. I went to the beach and when I came back they had been in the room.
I thought I might stay an extra night, even if I needed to change rooms. This was before the front desk called to make sure I knew checkout was 10 am, because they said I liked to sleep late and I needed to be out by 10:00. I came here to relax...not sure why they are concerned with my sleeping habits

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Sea Chest Motel? Share your experiences!