“Perfect Vacation Spot” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 45 Hotels in Treasure Island
Florida
“Perfect Vacation Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Sunset Vistas in Treasure Island is a great place for vacation. Great Location, far enough away that its not crowded but close enough that you can walk to some restaurants and stores. The resort is very well maintained it is very clean and the staff are friendly and very accommodating,
The units are very clean too and we ended up with a nice view. They even have a beach bar with music on the weekends and a cafe for meals. The only negative comments I have is that the wi-fi was very slow and they only had 2 small charcoal grills and you had to wait to use them . Maybe in the future they put in a few gas grills and get another wireless server to speed things up but like I said its not much to complain about . We will definitely return

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
ghoch, General Manager at Sunset Vistas Beachfront Suites, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
We certainly appreciate hearing about such a great vacation. We share all comments with our staff , thank you. We have added some new equipment to help speed up the WiFi and generally the signal is great but certain downloads can slow it down. We are looking forward to your return.
We will monitor grill usage and certainly consider more for the holiday weekends.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Portsmouth, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We loved our visit at Sunset Vistas and are talking about when we get to go again next year. We stayed the week of July 4th, and found the rooms up to date and well appointed. We had a keyless check in and out, which turned out to be very easy. We did request that we have adjoining condos with our friends and that request was not honored. However, it was not a problem. I also feel that pool rules need to be reinforced and more umbrella tables should be made available. Some families came, put their belongings on a table then took off for hours. Looking forward to next year's vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for such a raving review. We have recently added more signage and do try to monitor the use of tables and chaises at the pool and appreciate considerate guests especially over holidays. We try very hard to honor special requests on room locations.
Puyallup, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Nice hotel with easy access to a very nice white sand beach. We just picked the wrong week (end of June) and kept getting chased out of the pool and off the beach by thunderstorms. We had an "ocean view" suite which should really say "partial ocean view".Our room looked down over the main pool and a small stretch of beach. Don't let the pictures fool you, the ones I found online make it look like the hotel stands by itself. It's not, it's squeezed in between other hotels, as are all of them on Treasure Island. Lots of restaurants and shops close by, I can't say within walking distance but a short drive. Only about a 20 minute drive to Tropicana Field where we took in a Rays game. Rooms and beds were comfortable. Overall it was a good stay, my only real complaint is the wifi was mostly non-usable. I could get my iPad to link up to it, but most of the time couldn't get any websites to come up.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We are sorry the weather did not cooperate (it usually does and most appreciate a cool off shower in the afternoon which is typical in the summer). Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We try to be very descriptive about Gulf FRONT, Gulf View and Partial Gulf View. Most are pleased with the angled balcony toward the beach. Our front office staff can usually be helpful with connection issues with different devices, we are sorry there was any issue. We also have WiFi access, computers and printers available in the business center. We truly hope to see you again soon.
Independence, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We had reserved a suite here through AAA and were very disappointed! The ladies at the front desk were not only unfriendly, unsmiling, and unwelcoming, they were rude and made us feel like an inconvenience. We made it through the check in process and went up to the room. (Oh yeah, make sure you don't say "ocean view", because you will be strictly corrected to say "gulf view") The layout of the two bedroom suite was nice. However, no toilet paper, dirty floors, and the whole suite smelled like week old fried food. The odor was horrible! It physically made my wife ill. To top it off, the neighbors upstairs were extremely loud, even with the sliding glass doors closed. When we complained to the front desk, we were told they had no other rooms, that the cops were on there way to our neighbors, and suggested that they have someone come up with a can of air freshener. Great! So we're now at a hotel that has to have the cops come to quiet the party upstairs and I guarantee that a can of air freshener was not going to do anything for the smell! We ended up going about a mile down the beach and found a very nice hotel for half of what we were going to spend here! (I gave that hotel five stars!)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Delaware, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We are nearing the end of our week-long stay at Sunset Vistas. The property is beautiful, staff very friendly and helpful. Having a large 2 bedroom condo with a kitchen is wonderful!! Beach very clean and not crowded. Shells everywhere for gathering! However, we did experience a couple of problems. Beds were not extremely comfortable. Upon arrival, we noticed a foul smell in our room. Smelled like garbage. We searched the room, never quite finding the root of the problem, but believe it was coming from the garbage disposal. We contacted the front desk. While we were away for dinner, apparently someone came to our room to check it out and told the front desk they did not notice a smell. Their nose clearly doesn't work because we were here with our extended family and they could smell it, too. Their rooms did NOT have the smell. We went to the store to get food for breakfast and lunches in our room. The next morning, we realized our toaster didn't work. We called the front desk and had a new one by that evening. The next day, in the middle of fixing lunch in the mocrowave, it quite working. We were told it would take a few days to replace. Meanwhile, we have a freezer full of microwavable meals for lunches. Luckily, we have family here with us in 2 other condos so we are using theirs. So, overall, location wonderful, great place to take the family. Our group of 13 (ages 5 - adult) all liked Treasure Island better than any other Florida beaches we have been to. And we would consider Sunset Vistas again....but would bring along some bleach and cleaning products!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed with our two kids this past weekend for the 4th. My kids are 8 months and 2 yrs old. The staff at Sunset Vistas are always nice and easy to talk with. We showed up a little after 2pm. Room was not ready. No big deal as I thought we'd walk the beach. My wife needed to use the restroom so she went to the lobby to find the nearest one. While in there she asked about how long did she think untill the room would be ready. The lady at the desk called housekeeping and BOOM, the room was ready. I live 50 miles north of Sunset Vistas and have stayed in many hotels in the area. These by far are the nicest and if you have little one, the kiddy pool is awesome! My kids loved it. Only one little hicupp. I wanted to cook Pancakes for my kids and called the front desk for a skillet. They said they'd be right up. I waited 20 minutes and called back to make sure I gave them the right room number, still no go. The kids settled for strawberrys and a waffle. It didn't kill the trip but was a little disappointed. Other than that, we will be back and thank you Sunset Vistas for a great time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for spending your holiday at Sunset Vistas, and for the helpful comments and compliments. I was very surprised by the lack of a frying pan as we try to maintain consistent utensils, we are sorry for the miscommunication upon your request. We are glad you will be back soon!
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Most importantly: we rented through an owner at VRBO or HomeAway websites. The unit was managed by a local company who communicated with us prior to, during, and after the visit. I am over-zealous in my research and spent several weeks pouring through HomeAway and VRBO for the perfect vacation spot for my husband, 6-year old daughter and I in late October 2012. We were pleased with Sunset Vistas and we will definitely return.

Our owners prepared us by stocking the kitchen with basic amenities as well as beach necessities - bag, toys, chairs, pool noodles, etc etc. There were several sets of extra sheets and towels and starter kits of kitchen cleaning supplies in addition to the stacked washer dryer which we used daily.

As soon as we checked in I checked the bathrooms and kitchen for cleanliness, which weren't terrible although not spotless. The carpet and tile floors were free of debris but not sparkling clean. Considering the resort is on the beach, you know - with sand, I didn't expect it to be pristine. However, the dishes had debris on them so I put them all in the dishwasher and ran it while we unpacked. Luckily, I checked again before we left to figure out that the dishwasher was broken. I did NOT want to deal with a repair person, so we picked up more dish soap and some disposable stuff as well as trash bags. Problem solved!

We were 2 doors down from the elevator which is one of my very few complaints - the windows facing the courtyard are very thin and did not keep out the hallway noise so my daughter (sleeping in that bedroom) was forced to keep her window closed, and was still bothered by noise. The Gulf-facing windows were extremely effective at blocking noise, particularly when a gaggle of young people gathered on the balcony below us to talk loudly. As soon as I shut the door, I heard silence! The sliding glass doors afforded a nice view, but silent if it was needed. A nice breeze came in at night too! The drapes were heavier, and light blocking although not 100% (can anything be). The small balcony was perfect for morning coffee or an afternoon book. I only wish there had been a hammock :-). You could comfortably seat 2, maaaaybe 3 if your unit had another chair.

The pool was awesome, and had 2 shallow ends / entries. My daughter had a great time in the large pool and the toddler pool (which are on opposite sides of the resort). The hot tub was broken during our visit, which was fine because it seemed that only kids and teenagers wanted to use it. There was ample seating and chaise lounges around the pool but I would recommend more umbrellas or shade options. The lower level bar by the pool had very friendly staff who made great drinks and great conversation.

The boardwalk to the beach was well-maintained, although the shower area could stand to be raised up so that sand actually has a place to go when you rinse off. I do understand that it's a beach, but I hate tracking sand in. We opted to leave a bucket of water at our door and a towel right inside the door. There was also a community box near the boardwalk where you could leave toys etc for others. We found a sand pail there, and a floatie ring, which we left behind at the end of our trip.

The on-site cafe had some great snack and light meal options for us, and we found them to be on the healthier side too. Priced as moderate as could be expected for a beach front resort, the convenience can't be beat, and the staff helpful and friendly. They had a few basics too - dish soap, deodorant, toothbrush. We never had to deal with staff at the front desk so I cannot comment to that.

We had a rental sedan that fit very comfortably in our assigned parking spot - but if a truck or full-size SUV were next to or across from us it could be difficult to reverse out. Just be patient and pay attention! There was an event on the beach while we visited and the hotel had on-site parking attendants to protect the assigned parking and limited visitors spots. We actually did have visitors (friends who happened to be in the area) and they parked easily, LOVED the set up. In our 2-bedroom unit, we had 6 adults and 2 kids for lunch one day and felt there was ample space to sit, perch, converse, and prepare food.

We never utilized the beach chair rental, instead using our unit-provided umbrella and towels. It was a clean beach and we had a lot of fun. Lots of fish but not many shells in the shallow area (my daughter's input). Beautiful area.

We walked to John's Pass one evening and really enjoyed visiting all the little shops. It was a moderate walk for the 6-year old, so stopped for ice cream on the way back. The streets, sidewalks, and pedestrian crossings were clean, well-lit and felt safe. The area pedestrian crossings are controlled, and include neon reflective flags for you to carry as you cross - extremely impressive!

At the end of the vacation I sent a very detailed letter to the management company about discrepancies in the unit - broken dishwasher, certain untidy nuances etc. I was not unhappy with these things, but certainly noticed them and wanted to provide feedback. Not only did they respond within 24 hours, they followed up a few days later to say that the owners had authorized a new dishwasher as well as several other suggestions I made. When we return to FL next year, I know we will consider Tampa airport and Sunset Vistas at the very top of our list.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate such an informative review. We encourage booking directly with the hotel and the on-site rental program to ensure immediate response to any issues in the future with staff on premises. We are so happy to have met your expectations and that you enjoyed Sunset Vistas.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Treasure Island
Residence Inn by Marriott St. Petersburg / Treasure Island
Residence Inn by Marriott St. Pe...
#8 of 45 in Treasure Island
Surf Beach Resort
Surf Beach Resort
#9 of 45 in Treasure Island
4.5 of 5 stars 482 reviews

Been to Sunset Vistas Beachfront Suites? Share your experiences!