“great family motel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Sands of Treasure Island

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Treasure Island
The Sands of Treasure Island
You added The Sands of Treasure Island to your Saves list
11800 Gulf Blvd., Treasure Island, FL 33706   |
Ranked #32 of 45 Hotels in Treasure Island
Valrico, FL
“great family motel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My family has been coming to the Sands for the last 50 years. It is clean, basic and right on the beach. The pool is great and well maintained. This is not a romantic honeymoon hotel. We all love it and would hate to see it go as it is the last of the generation of true beach motels.

Room Tip: Just be honest about your needs they will suggest the best room for you. Rooms under the lanai are...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Saint Augustine, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

rooms are very outdated although clean.Appliances need replacing.The microwave had the wrong turntable plate installed so it wont not rotate. The toaster did not work at all and the coffee pot worked but took almost an hour to brew one pot. The rooms were clean but the sheets on the beds would not stay on(wrong size). The bathroom fixtures needed new caulking and were cracked. The staff was very helpful. Pool area was nice but there were way to many untended and screaming children not being looked after by their parents who seemed to think the Bud Light was way more important than the children's safety. Listening to slamming doors and screaming is not my idea of relaxing. The room rates are very reasonable which is why I think this place attracts way to many undesirables. Had it not been for the beautiful beach, my vacation would have been a total bust. If you like large groups of people crowding around the pool then this place is for you. If you want a relaxing vacation, stay away!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We just spent a lovely weekend at The Sands, the room was spacious, the staff friendly and we decided right then and there to move our family reunion to this charming place! We look forward to seeing everyone in July at the Censullo family reunion under the breezeway! Thank you Patty and Randy for booking all 10 rooms for us.

Room Tip: Court side or pool side, each one of the first floor rooms is easy access to the pool and a short wa...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

If you have to save money, this place is ok. We stayed in an end room on the second floor overlooking the shuffle-boards and the awesome beach. Beautiful views of the gulf! The people are very friendly and helpful. The pool is awesome. It was very clean, and the water was at a perfect temperature. People were grilling every evening, and there were a lot of people who came with other families. This made the Easter week lively. There were people of all ages.

The "ok" part was the room. They did not supply dishwashing soap (I bought some, as well as paper towel and a box of tissue), and the kitchen utensils and appliances were less than clean. I only made coffee 1 day and did not feel well later that afternoon. (It could have been any number of things, but it struck me as odd that it was the only time I used the room coffee maker that seemed to be old and moldy. My husband brought me coffee from the store down the street the other days, and I had no other issues.) The house keeping person was very friendly, but she simply wiped out the sink with our towels, made the beds, and vacuumed every other day, if that. We never saw any cleaning solutions used in the kitchen, sink area, nor the toilet and tub.

We usually pay twice the cost of the Sands and stay at the Bilmar. We wanted to save the money this time. I guess it would depend on our financial status to determine if we would return again, but I'm thinking probably not unless they upgrade the cleanliness of the rooms. We will never know unless others add to these posts in the future....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Parrish, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Just spent an amazing weekend at The Sands.....Although an older hotel, everyone is friendly, pleasant and right on the beach --- what more can you ask for. We had a poolside room which had a full kitchen, living room and bed room. We'll be back again next month! Thanks to everyone who made our stay wonderful!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Place is very old, sign says built in 1947, and not up dated since. Great location on the beach, very nice pool area and great place to watch the sunset. However the room was a little edgy. Beds a little rough, fitted sheets kept slipping off because of the plastic mattess pad. Sink, stove, frig., which didn't work so we had a dorm frig., combination was from the original construction. Carpets dirty and tattered. Very wierd was not screens on the windows to enjoy the gulf breeze. Staff was very friendly and very helpful but the other guests, all seemed to know each other, were very rude. Parking was a problem as you parked across the street about a block away. For what I paid I have had better in the area. Doubt if I will go back. Sorry Sands Resort.

Room Tip: Front desk guy and housekeeping are the highlite of this resort.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

If you're looking for a cheap place, on the beach... this is definitely it!

Yes it's dated. It looks like it's never been redone since the 60's, but it doesn't show wear. The rooms are super cheap, including the bed, with a kitchenette in it. They also have apartment style rooms with 2 bedrooms, a fold out couch and a kitchenette as well. And when I say on the beach i mean On. The. Beach. You walk under a cross section of rooms, past the pool and Bam! Sand and ocean.

Just a warning if you're younger, if you try to check in during the day and are under 25 you'll have a hard time, unless the old people that run the place have moved on. But after peak hours we had a nicer lady who warned us that they wouldn't be happy but we were 18-20 (at the time-3 of us) and had a credit card, so she would let us.

The beds are comfy the views can't be beat, and the availability to the water front at all times of the day and night is amazing!! There is no breakfast, and you will either have to take a drive or walk a bit to get food. There is a little grocery store about 2 blocks away, which the rooms with kitchens are handy for. The rooms do include a few pots and pans and mismatched dishes (also dated), but seriously it can't be beat, especially if you're spending a whole week there!

It's quiet and seems to have quite a few regulars most of the time, staying in the larger rooms. I don't think I've ever seen the pool being used either, but when the beach is 30 ft away I guess you can't blame people. The cleaning persons have a sense of humor too. They cleaned and restocked everyday, and folded clothes and laid them on the bed if we had them strewn about, propped and stuffed animals near the pillows and occasionally folded towel animals.

The only downfall is its a local run business, where I believe the owners live in one of the rooms, so if you need room service in the middle of the night or anything, you need to go out the lobby area and ring a call box outside of it. Like I said... very dated, but way way cheap well under $100 for beach side hotel. My parents had stayed there, and loved it when they were younger, and I make it a point to stay there every time I'm in the area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Sands of Treasure Island? Share your experiences!