“Awesome place filled with disappointments” 2 of 5 stars

Surf Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11040 Gulf Boulevard, Treasure Island, FL 33706   |
Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Treasure Island
New Haven, Indiana
“Awesome place filled with disappointments”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We had arrived a lot earlier then check in due to some car problems, where we waited for staff to arrive. I was very fortunate they accommodated to our arrival by letting us check in early, and for that I am grateful. It however did not seem like such a warm welcome on the management's part. The house keeping staff were the most polite of them all and I told her about our situation, so she began to clean our room first, the front desk lady however decided to just move our room so we could get our things put away a lot quicker. Even though this all was accommodating I never felt like I was causing someone a bigger hassle in my entire life. The management staff did not seem the least bit welcoming all week. I would suggest during employee training to have the definition "hospitality" reviewed several times until understood thoroughly and then give them examples of what good hospitality is. The sad part is I do not have a clue why we were treated in such a manner when the group I traveled with never caused any sort of ruckus and we were all respectful during our stay. I apologized countless times when we showed up early but not one time was I told "its ok" or "dont worry about it." She just stared at her computer quietly.
We finally got up into a room which was very nice (except for the stained couch cushions). The hotel provides you all the necessary things you need to function as if you were in your own home for the time of your stay (silverware, pots, pans, etc.) They were definitely lacking on hangers (only 5 a closet, what is that all about?). The negatives that really stood out to me about our room were the quality of our linens and towels. I have never slept on anything more uncomfortable. I was not sure if 30 thread count sheets existed but if they do I slept on them during my week at surf beach. Their pillows were uncomfortable and their comforters were old looking and outdated, it was hard for me to get myself into the beds because I was taken back by all that. The towels were just as bad, while they at least looked new they felt like I was drying off with sandpaper and mix that with having a sun burn. In addition to all that so far that I found bothersome the list unfortunately goes on. One morning we received a knock at the door by two guys with a beagle claiming they needed to check for "bed bugs." They came in and let their dog sniff around our condo, this at the time did not bother me much but the more I think about it I am disgusted that this happened. They should schedule such after we leave or before we arrive. Another issue we had with our stay was the fact that the hot tub only worked about 3 days.We told the front desk 2 or 3 times about the issue and they said "Well have it looked at tomorrow." Well, I did not get the opportunity to get in the hot tub again before I left (The pool was warmer, what a joke.) The last major thing I would like the voice my opinion about is the parking situation. When you check in, you are handed a little pamphlet telling you everything extra they'll charge you for and one of them is parking, and if you are not in your spot you'll be fined and etc. Well while I was there cars liked to park right behind us making it rather difficult to back out, when the staff was informed they said "sorry, there is nothing we can do." After hearing that I couldn't help but to think how great it is that they care less about the people staying there, than their guests.

While the quality of service, towels, and linens were enough to have me fed up, the location and the fact that I was in Florida on vacation put my mind at ease. It was quite a walk to the beach and its was very shelly (pailful) but once I got down there I was able to enjoy myself. The location of the hotel/ condo was perfect! Everything was in close walking distance.

Unfortunately I would never suggest this hotel to ANYONE There are about 4 other hotels I would be willing to try that are about in the same location that I would rather visit before coming back. I hope the owners make some serious changes to this place because it has some excellent potential.

Room Tip: Get a top floor for a great view and so you do not have to hear chairs moving around and the water c...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
SurfBeachCondos, Manager at Surf Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Ryan G,

Your comments are greatly appreciated and we thank you for choosing Sunsational Beach Rentals LLC as your home away from home. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We will address all issues immediately. We look forward to your return visit with us soon!

Sunsational Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I recently stayed at the Surf Beach Resort and at first I was a little disappointed. My car had mechanical problems so my group and I stayed in the lobby area for an hour before it opened which is no big deal. Once the manager arrived I explained my situation because I had yet another hour before I could check-in. She was extremely rude and apparently was unable to find our reservation, so we had to find the confirmation email to prove we had one. She then told us our room wouldn't be ready for a few hours, but she obviously did not want us to stay in the lobby (we had a group of 5) for a few more hours, so an available room suddenly opened up. When we first got into the room it seemed nice, it was just what the pictures showed. There were only 2 full sized towels in the bathrooms, the bedrooms designs were outdated, the bedding was completely worn out and uncomfortable, the couch was disgusting and stained, there were only about 10 hangers in the closet, and the televisions were crappy. During our stay we realized that we would not be supplied new or extra towels without a fee, which wouldn't have been a problem if they wouldn't have listed themselves as a "hotel." Because we had to re-use the previously supplied towels that meant we had to buy our own laundry detergent which would have been nice to know, same with the dishwasher. Also, there was only 1 extra set of bedding provided when there are two bedrooms, makes sense right? They only gave us a few trash bags too.
When we tried to do our first load of laundry the washer wouldn't work so I called the desk to ask for help, the lady sounded very rude and annoyed. After the 2nd day the hottub broke, I mean the pool was warmer than the hottub, we told the staff countless times about the hottub not working to which they replied that once maintenance comes they'd have them look at it, which never happened.
On our 4th morning there we received a knock on the door and apparently it was a man with a dog doing their TWICE A MONTH bedbug inspection. This was the icing to the cake. Firstly, why would you ever have them come why you have guests in the room? And secondly, why aren't the rooms being checked for bedbugs after every stay?! That is absolutely repulsive.
Another problem that I had was the parking. I had an assigned parking spot in the front of the resort, but random cars or guests would park along the side of the parkway, blocking my vehicle in. I asked management to please do something about it to which they replied they couldn't and I would just have to find a way out. Absolutely ridiculous. Also if you like the a/c on below 71 degrees, you are out of luck, the thermometer doesn't go lower than that.
Another frustrating thing that happened was the way other guests would treat us. We are aged in our early 20's, and just upon seeing us would we receive dirty looks and parents taking their small children away from where we were, whether it was the pool or the beach. The place was obviously suited just for the elderly and families with small children. I just feel as if the resort should say on their website something about the type of resort this is or at least raise the check-in age. Also with the rooms, if you have a room on a floor other than the top floor, you will hear absolutely everything the people above you do. Especially if you are in the master bedroom, you will hear the toilet flush and it sounds like the ceiling is about to fall in.
As for the positives: it was beachfront although you have to walk at least a 1/4 of a mile to the beach, which was shelly. But the beach was beautiful and not crowded. The location is perfect, you are near the local grocery store,ice cream, snow cones, a fabulous restaurant (middle grounds grill), and a 3 minute drive from johns pass which has outdoor shops and activities like para-sailing (which I recommend Gators.) The resort itself would be nice if it was kept up better and a new staff who actually cared about the resort and the customers who pay their bills. The rooms are spacious and the view from the balcony is amazing!
All together, you can find a better place for the same price. I would use this as a last resort honestly.
Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms you won't be able to hear the people above you and they have a great view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear tdwinn,

Sunsational Management
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I spent a week in the condos at Surf Beach Resort. As I woke up on Tuesday I realized the diamond was missing in my wedding ring. I was panicked and saddened because I cherished the ring and my husband is away in Afghanistan so it made me even more sad! The other guests kew I lost the diamond somewhere between my room and the hot tub/pool area. I happened to see the cleaning ladies a couple of nights before we left and I explained to them what happened. They said they would look really hard for me when they cleaned. As my friends and I were pulling up to Tampa International Airport we got a call that the diamond was found! I was so very excited! I received the diamond about 2 days after getting back to St. Louis! Not only is the staff outstanding, professional, friendly, they are extremely trustworthy. I can't put into words how much this means to me! I will definitely go back. The accommodations were great, they have clean, spacious rooms w/ balconies. The walk to the beach isn't close but not too far! The grill pit was great to cook on and then enjoy the company of your friends before jumping in the pool or heading out to the beach! I would recommend this to anyone! I will definitely stay here again if I ever head back that way! Thank you so much

Room Tip: They didn't have a fitness center/restaurant! We had two bedroom with a balcony it was awesome...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
SurfBeachCondos, Manager at Surf Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Kristen H,

Thank You for choosing Sunsational Beach Rentals LLC. Your home away from home.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about Your recent stay at the Surf Beach Resort. We greatly appreciate you sharing your feedback with us and our future guests.

St johns ,nl Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I have stayed at surf beach resort 6 times always in a different unit,the view is great amenities are great ,location to local attractions is ideal. However noise between units is very loud and the weekenders who come for Friday and Saturday night make the stay unpleasant. We have stayed minimium of 7 nights and as much as 14 nights so we have seen the same negative trend,very quite and relaxing during the week and then it blows up on the weekend. Once the staff leave at 5 there is no longer any control of the property. I write this review after much consideration as the staff are great but I guess they can,t filter the people who have no respect for the others around them.

Room Tip: stay on the 6th floor to avoid the noise of flushing toilets and moving furniture on ceramic tiles f...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Kayaker21,

Thank You for choosing Sunsational Beach Rentals LLC. Your home away from home.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a descriptive a review about Your recent stay at the Surf Beach Resort. We greatly appreciate you sharing your feedback with us and our future guests and apologize for any inconvenience you were caused.

The Villages, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We had a getaway for few days. We went to Ormond Beach for a sunrise and drove to Surf Beach Resort for our sunset that same day. What a great choice we made with Surf Beach Resort. The view outside or balcony was gorgeous and completed our east coast/west coast Florida sunrise/sunset getaway. The room was perfect. Plenty of space for the three of us. We love the location. Just across the street from our favorite ice cream spot, Scoops. Treasure Island is a hidden gem. Right on the beach. It doesn't get any better than this. We have spent time in Treasure Island on many occasions. This is the best place we have ever stayed. We will be back!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are beachfront.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear rmthemp,

Thank You for choosing Sunsational Beach Rentals LLC. Your home away from home.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a descriptive a review about Your recent stay at the Surf Beach Resort. We greatly appreciate you sharing your feedback with us and our future guests.

Edmond, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We booked this resort through our time share and from the moment we arrived, which was 2 hours earlier than regular check in time, we were treated magnificently! Eva Olava was at the front desk and was so kind, courteous and helpful even though I was ragged and cranky from a long ride to get there! She booked us in early, printed directions for us and never let my crankiness upset her.
The 2 bedroom unit that we stayed in was clean, updated with things like granite countertops in the kitchen, had plenty of towels and beach towels, the décor lovely and the view...stunning!
Every unit has an ocean view and the building is small enough that you never wait for long for an elevator. It was also quiet at night which is a blessing.
There are restaurants and shops all within walking distance and if you had any questions about the area Eva was a great help!
We thought we had an issue with the washing machine in our unit and when I called the front desk Eva told me the maintenance man was not there at the moment so she came up to our room, in her beautiful dress and high heels, to try to fix our problem, which of course was simply that I had not shut the door on the washing machine all the way. She just smiled at me when I looked so embarrassed and told me it was no problem!
The only issue that I had was the distance that the ocean was from our resort. It is a long walk to the water but the sand was quite easy to walk on so maybe not so bad, I got in some exercise!
There is also a great walkway/boardwalk that runs behind all of the resorts which is a great place to stroll after dinner.
We really liked Surf Beach a lot and I have to say that Ms. Eva Olava was a big part of it, she is absolutely wonderful!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear USAGoddess,

Thank You for choosing Sunsational Beach Rentals LLC. Your home away from home.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a descriptive a review about Your recent stay at the Surf Beach Resort. We greatly appreciate you sharing your feedback with us and our future guests and we thank you for all the kind words about our staff.

St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Just returned from Treasure Island, stayed at beautiful Surf Beach Resort with an ocean view suite, beds were comfortable and rooms were clean, kitchen was well appointed with all required major and small appliances. Had a minor issue with garburator about one week in dealt with immediately. Staff were very friendly and accomodating. Pool area is really nice, well maintained grounds and BBQ area was perfect for lunch or an evening meal, very clean and well kept. Gorgeous beach and never crowded. Walked for a couple of hours each morning enjoyed a perfect two weeks. Far enough away from St. Petes without being too far if you know what I mean. Close to John's Pass and good resturants in either direction you went on Gulf Blvd or the beach for casual meals and drinks. The walkway along the beach was great for an evening stroll after dinner. Weather was perfect as usual. Third trip to this area and will look at Surf Beach Resort again!!!!

Room Tip: Shop for groceries away from the beach for better choice and price. Choose ocean view for sunsets an...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SurfBeachCondos, Manager at Surf Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Clarke61,

Thank You for choosing Sunsational Beach Rentals LLC. Your home away from home.

We hope to see You back soon with Us again. Please remember when booking your next trip to Surf Beach to mention you are a repeat guest to receive a discount.

Been to Surf Beach Resort? Share your experiences!