“Poorly run property with $50 beds” 1 of 5 stars

You added Blue Waters Beach Club to your Saves list
Blue Waters Beach Club
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8105 West Gulf Blvd., Treasure Island, FL 33706   |
Ranked #38 of 45 Hotels in Treasure Island
“Poorly run property with $50 beds”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Travel Resort Services is one of the most poorly run property management services that I have ever experienced in my life. They have one of the most unprofessional and ignorant office staff that I have ever dealt with. After taking over this property in 2014, TRS have increased the rates by 80%, yes 80% is correct not a typo, and they have updated nothing. They still have beds in the units that would not bring $50 at a yard sale with the linen included. As well, the place is not cleaned properly as we found popcorn and hairballs behind the table and bacon pieces and chips in the pull-out couch upon arrival. The property itself is in a wonderful location but it so poorly managed it is not worth the overpriced fees they are charging. I would recommend not staying here until the owners replace Travel Resort Services with another management company.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Unit 8: 1 Bedroom, with 1 lousy sofa sleeper.

So, let me start off by saying I have been to this area for vacationing for 15 years, and stayed in several different places (hotels, condos, rental homes.) Depending on whether my dog travels with me usually determines where I stay. I stayed here, because I took my dog on vacation too.

The perk of this place was that it is literally seconds from the beach (just cross the street!)

The rest is straight out of a Sochi accommodations "What Not to Do" seminar...

The 3 photos that are with this review are real.

Unit 8 has a newly remodeled kitchen, which is also the living/dining room and sofa sleeper area. The newly remodeled kitchen is swell, but for that size of a unit, really unnecessary. All that remodeling money could have been spent on a quality, not springy, sofa sleeper. The reclining chair (aka the Treat Chair), looked like it was something you saw on the side of the road with a FREE sign on it. To my surprise one night, I looked at the space between the chair and armrest and it was full of hair and popcorn bits. Yum!

Yes, yes, most of our time was spent outdoors, but at the end of the day it is nice to come back to a clean, comfortable accommodation. Yes, there will be sand on the floor, we are at the beach. And thankfully there was a broom in the room to sweep it all out the door.

I paid $100 for a "pet fee" aka hotels ways of just ripping you off more. I have a small 12 pound dog, and is one of those who is generally more well behaved than many humans. So to my surprise, when we pull out the sofa sleeper, it is full of dander, dirt, dust and hair and for who knows how long for! The sheets on it also looked like they were forgotten to be changed.

After several calls to the management of the place, Travel Resort Services, to have new sheets and the place cleaned properly, they came. Well, the popcorn was still in the chair! If anyone ever stays there, please respond if popcorn is still there, maybe it's like McDonald's fries, it will last forever!

This unit also faces the road, and is a bit noisy. Also, if you see the review a couple down from here, there is no WiFi. And we had pretty poor cell reception in the unit, had to go to the beach to get anything. Funny how that works. I went to the Bright House website and paid $19.95 for a weeks internet access in the unit.

The sound between the walls of the bedroom in the unit and the unit next door is pretty loud, like nit muffled loud, but I can understand every word you are saying loud.

Bottom Line: At a cost of $1400 for the week, I am wondering what the heck they do with that money, because it doesn't seem to go into servicing the units. TRS has some pretty poor "customer service" reps, and we demanded the pet fee be refunded.

My recommendations for staying in Treasure Island would be Land's End, which would run about the same for a truly quality condo and service. Would have stayed here if I hadn't brought my dog along, but I don't blame him...

Oh, I forgot to mention, the bathroom rivals those you use on an airplane...

Room Tip: Don't choose Unit 8!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Park Rapids, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

What a lovely place. A pool out our back door and the gulf out the front door. We stayed in number 7. It was a two bedroom, 2 bath unit. Very clean and well supplied. The internet was a problem. It was advertised with wifi but it did not work, so I got ahold of bright light and we had a modem put in for the month we were there for a minimal fee. There was no broom, etc for keeping the sand cleaned up. So I called for a few weeks and was then brought something to clean with. I loved this place so much that we will be back for two months next year. Also it was a great place to bring your dog.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
KY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

If you are looking for an escape from the daily intrusions of modern technology, then Blue Waters Beach Club should be perfect for you. First, despite signage and ads claiming to offer internet, we arrived to find none at all: No free internet, no paid Citi Wi-Fi service…nothing…nada…naught…zero…zip…zilch. Previous Trip Advisor reviews complaining of weak signals and spotty service are now totally irrelevant because the Bluemont Citi Wi-Fi previously offered for a fee of $25 per week is no longer available. TRS (Travel Resort Services) which manages this property still claims Citi Wi-Fi is available in its brochures but when we complained of no access, TRS first claimed it was temporarily down. Later they suggested there was perhaps too much “holiday traffic” and finally said that our security settings might be prohibiting access. But when we called Bluemont Citi Wi-Fi directly they confirmed that this service was discontinued some time ago. In fact, according to a City of Treasure Island press release, even when Bluemont provided service to some parts of Treasure Island, the service area only went as far as 88th Avenue which does not include this property – That is likely why there were so many complaints as Blue Waters was never even in the actual coverage area to begin with.

To further facilitate your escape from technology, you will find that this particular location is a virtual dead zone for both Verizon and AT&T cell service so don’t count on a Wi-Fi card working either. Bottom line: If your work, family circumstances, travel or sight-seeing plans require that you “stay connected”, keep looking…Blue Waters is not for you.

On the other hand, if you wish to escape ringing cell phones, email, Skype, Netflix, Instagram, Twitter, all social media & the entire www, look no further…You may have found your personal paradise.

We also learned that “fully equipped kitchen” apparently means leaving the previous guests’ garbage for the new guest to remove. “Fully equipped” also included an old chicken bone for our miniature Doxie under the recliner. Furthermore, we found TRS website’s description of this property as “truly luxurious” to be yet another overstatement. A far more accurate description would be casual, quaint “Old Florida.” Of course, there is nothing wrong with casual, quaint “Old Florida” if that is what you are looking for, but it is a far cry from “truly luxurious”.

Otherwise, the location is great--Beautiful beach directly across the road & a small heated pool on the premises. In all fairness, I should add that although it took TRS 4 full days to even admit they had absolutely no internet access & to remove their 2 foot long “Internet” sign from the front entrance, their response time to two other maintenance issues was only a couple of hours: a broken remote control and a shower head that was so improperly installed it sprayed all over the bathroom. On the other hand, it took 3 days and 2 phone calls to have overflowing garbage removed from the courtyard grill area.

Unfortunately for us, there was no acceptable, convenient solution for the complete lack of internet access. TRS’s false advertising & on-site signage, out-dated Wi-Fi instruction sheet, and repeated mis-representations during our face-to-face & phone conversations only added to our frustration and disappointment. Instead of working 3-4 hours a day in the quiet solitude of our beach apartment or working online poolside in the Florida sun, I got dressed & commuted 7.5 miles roundtrip to work at the Madeira Bay Resort where TRS made the magnanimous gesture of providing me free internet access. Other times I drove to McDonalds, the Treasure Island Chamber of Commerce or the library simply because they were much closer--although not suitable for extended work sessions, conference calls or Skype sessions with clients. It was a long 3 weeks…certainly not the relaxing “working vacation” I had envisioned.

Two TRS agents & the owner himself insisted that our complaint be directed to Bluemont Network & the City of Treasure Island. I visited City Hall in person, however, & was advised by the Finance Director that the City does not, nor did it ever have any relationship with or responsibility for Bluemont Networks Citi-Wi-Fi. The Finance Director further stated that the Bluemont information page was included on the City’s website for tourist information only and had been removed by the Public Information Officer because it is no longer applicable.

Our decision to rent this property was based on TRS advertising, our contract is with TRS and TRS took our $2600+…The buck stops there. Blue Waters? TRS? Lesson learned: One star & never again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Troy, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We are staying in cottage 14 with 2 boys ages 2 and 4. Upon arrival we were welcomed with a very clean smell and appearance inside the cottage. However i dont think its been dusted in quite a while. But who cares...we are at the beach. it is very much a family style neighborhood feel in this area. Our cottage is the only one with a bathtub and with two little boys we are very grateful that we picked this cottage. The beach is the perfect distance from the cottage and very easy to haul all of our things to.
Wish there was a dishwasher and that the beds were more comfortable but otherwise a beautiful quiet place with a lot to do nearby. but for the pric it's totally wort it's totally worth it

• Stayed April 2013
Dayton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed in Cottage No. 7 for two weeks at the end of March, 2013. There were four of us initially, our two kids Age 11 and 8, and us. My friend joined us for part of the second week. We also had our yellow laborador with us, and my friend brought hers for a visit, too. This cottage was the perfect size for that number. The kitchen has everything you would need but a dishwasher. The livng room has a nice TV with cable, and a sleeper sofa that my 11 year old slept on the whole time. The front bedroom has a queen bed and a full bathroom with stand up shower, small but perfect for kids. The back bedroom has a king bed and the bigger bathroom is right outside the door. Both bedrooms have dressers and closets, and small TV's with cable. Luckily, our experience was very different from the reviewer below, our unit was very clean upon arrival, and we did not see one bug in two weeks of living there, even with the dogs and kids running around. The pretty courtyard has beautiful plants, nice pavers to walk on, and a hodge-podge of chairs and tables, plenty to sit out there anytime you want. The pool is very nice, small but a good size for that small of a place. It is heated (really heated) and has a hot tub like feature in the corner that is really nice. There are chairs at the pool area, too, as well as on the other side of the pool area. The best part about this place, though, is the family feel and the neighborhood. This location is so great for families. Even during spring break, it never felt crowded, the beach was beautiful and literally right across the small street. It really felt like we were living in a neighborhood, the people were friendly, when we walked our dog people always stopped and talked, no spring break hectic craziness. Is this place the lap of luxury? No. Is it perfect for families who just want to chill and enjoy the relaxed vibe of the area? Definitely. It's clean, comfortable, and a perfect getaway. The only negative about our cottage that I can think of is that the water pressure in the shower wasn't great. That's really it. Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: Cottage 7 is the only two bed, two bath, it appeared to be the largest. We looked at a fellow trave...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sterling, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Loved every single thing about it. I will stay here again and again and again. Amazing privacy, well maintained, beautiful, convenient in every way...location, amenities...just everything. I LOVED IT FOR ME AND MY HUSBAND AND OUR PUPPIES.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Blue Waters Beach Club? Share your experiences!