“Wow! Stayed while under renovation and can't wait to go back when it is complete!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Treasure Island Ocean Club

Save Saved
You added Treasure Island Ocean Club to your Saves list
Treasure Island Ocean Club
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11500 Gulf Boulevard, Treasure Island, FL 33706 (Formerly Trails End Resort Motel)   |
Ranked #23 of 43 Hotels in Treasure Island
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Wow! Stayed while under renovation and can't wait to go back when it is complete! Great job updating the motel and still was able to keep the cozy old time feeling. My wife loved the beautiful granite counter tops and now wants me to put them in our home. We will be moving our family reunion here. See you all soon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Clearwater, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I almost hate to give this place a good review because once others discover this hidden gem, the prices will go up. :-) But since that wouldn't be fair, I will give an honest review.

I originally found TIOC by literally pulling up Google maps, and looking up and down the coast to see what hotels took dogs. We have two small dogs and were unable to get the dogsitter for the weekend so had to find a place that would allow us to have them. I called and spoke with "Crystal" the front desk manager. She was completely candid about the fact that the hotel was undergoing renovations and that there were numbers of rooms that were not completed and things that still remained to be finished.

Upon our arrival (we arrived late on Friday night) we were met by Heather who allowed me to see the room prior to check in to ensure that I was happy with it. The room was EXTREMELY clean with new bedding, mattresses, carpet and furniture.

To echo some of the other reviews and share some positive comments:

• yes, the bathroom was older, but that is part of the charm;
• yes, the shower is small and wouldn’t fit two people, but you have a whole Gulf in which to play with your partner, if you really want to play in the water;
• yes, it is a little walk to the Gulf, but even the big chain hotels are not right on the water. The distance is not that far …. my boyfriend carried a kayak the entire way ….down the stairs, across the grass, sand, etc. and I carried a cooler and beach bags….not sure what that complaint was all about. It is a beautiful and you can see the Gulf from the hotel;
• yes, the railings on the stairs are low which was a little scary carrying luggage up. It could be a problem for the elderly or someone who really needs to use a railing, but for us this was not an issue;
• our room had a king bed and a new flat screen TV, fridge and microwave and an old cedar closet – again quite charming;
• The office did have fresh baked scones and bagels and pre-packaged danishes and muffins. The scones were from a local bakery and were delicious (apparently these are brought every weekend).
• The pool has been resurfaced, re-paved around the outside and the landscaping is beautiful.
• The staff was excellent – very friendly and very honest about everything.

The only negative comments I have are as follows (in the order they bothered us) and as you will see, we weren’t bothered by much at all.

• The office is opened 7:30 or 8:00 am and closes at 11:00 pm. This is not an issue except we are heavy coffee drinkers and wake up very early. There were a few packs in the room but had I not thought to get some extra packets late Friday night when we checked in, we would not have had much coffee until the office opened. So plan to ask for extra if you are early risers and heavy coffee drinkers like we are.
• The carpet in the room is new and beautiful. However, being a beach hotel, there is sand that is always tracked in and out so I felt awful leaving sand on brand new carpet -- tile might have been a better choice for housekeeping, but the carpet is well done.
• I asked in advance when I made the reservation that someone come check the room upon our check-out (since we had the dogs, I wanted them to verify that there was no damage to the room before I left). Crystal had the head of housekeeping go to the room to check it. When she returned she asked if the dog had slept in the bed with us? I told her no, the dog does not sleep with us, but that while we were out of the room, I could not guarantee that the dog had not gotten up on the bed. She said, “well there is dog hair on the bed.” This surprised me because of the two dogs we have the one that does not shed is the only one that could even get on that bed. The other one is way too fat to jump up there. Anyway, I was a little surprised because a “dog friendly hotel” would certainly expect to have dog hair in the room. Well, Crystal did exactly what I would have expected and said, “That is not damage. Dog hair is to be expected, that's normal.” I am not sure if they have had guests with dogs before, and while it was a surprising comment, it turned out okay.

It was a delight to be welcomed by such a charming staff (Crystal, Heather and Heather’s aunt whose name I cannot recall), all of whom were completely accommodating and their hospitality made our stay simply fantastic.

So, overall experience….excellent!!! If you are Marriott/Ritz/Hilton people who need a concierge and room service, you may not appreciate the charm and beauty TIOC has to offer. This place is a diamond in the rough and again, I dread the day that they really get discovered and the prices go up. But until that time, we will continue to return and enjoy a beautifully renovated treasure on the island.

Room Tip: I think any of the rooms at TIOC are good. Of course some are closer to the beach than others, but...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Venice, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This motel is under renovation at present (10/2013), and may be nice when complete, but is nowhere near there now. The entryway, registration office, courtyard and pool areas are beautiful. The rooms appear to have been painted and have new mattresses, but the bathroom was a 1950’s pink tile closet. The shower stall was approximately 30X30”. There’s no way 2 persons could fit into the bathroom at a time.
It is “beach-front,” but actually the water is what I estimate to be 300-400 yards away (1/4 mile?) Between the motel and the ocean is a sandy stretch, a nice paved promenade, and then a long stretch of wiregrass, palmetto, and sea oats. If you’ll be taking chairs, a cooler, and an umbrella to the beach, bring a little red wagon to haul it in… it’s quite a hike.
All of this would have been tolerable except that about 8:00pm, the toilet stopped draining. After a lengthy search, the clerk located a plunger for us, but it was ineffective. Within 20 minutes, sewage started backing up into the shower stall. At this point, we asked for another room, but were told there were none available, and it also was happening in other rooms. We then asked to contact the owner, and have him put us up in another hotel, but were told that he had refused that request. Since it was becoming late, and there were “No Vacancy” signs up and down the beach, we decided to stay the night since the sewage had subsided from the shower, leaving only a layer of sludge. We were offered the use of a tiny toilet located in a breezeway towards the front of the motel (no shower.)
Upon arising in the morning, the back-up had returned and now the whole bathroom was flooded, and starting to flow into the room. The carpet was becoming saturated. At this point, I waded through poop-water to retrieve my shaving kit and my wife’s stuff from the bathroom and left. I threw away those shoes... Thankfully, we had a near-by relative where we were able to get showers and brush our teeth.
Had the management/owners cooperated with finding us another place to stay, all would have been forgiven, but I can now state that I, nor anyone in our extended family, will ever consider staying here, for any reason. Please consider yourself warned...

Room Tip: ... perhaps at another motel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Treasure Island Ocean Club, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
As the owners of the Treasure Island Ocean Club we are focused on providing a safe, comfortable, convenient, value based property for all future guests to enjoy. Since purchasing the hotel, it has undergone a major renovation to exterior, public areas, and all rooms. As with any renovation there will be issues that arise and to ensure all of our future guests never have a similar experience we have reached out to this reviewer to better understand their experience and to work towards fixing any outstanding issues. It is important to note that it was discovered that someone had purposely placed steel wool down one of our drains, which ultimately lead to the plumbing issues as noted by this guest. This unfortunate ‘prank’ has allowed us to focus on our entire maintenance/inspection programs to ensure similar issues do not happen again. Guest feedback is important to us as with their help we will be able to continue to provide a clean, comfortable, and customer centric hotel experience for all of our future guests.
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Well the place has changed names and from what I gathered changed owners to. The sign on the street showed rooms for $75 which got our attention and we stopped to check it out.
You could tell that they were renovating the place but it was on the beach with a pool, 2 gas grills, new chairs and tables, new sod and trees looked like they were added recently also.
our room was with tax $84.00 on the second floor close to the end. I will say yes the stair rails were low and will have to be addressed soon. Our room had 2 queen beds, a fridge, new flat screen T.V, iron, toaster, hairdryer. There was no telephone in the room which was not a problem to us. They provide free wifi which works great outside but don't expect this in your room. The room is small so don't think your getting a suite its basic yet its right on the beach If your a person who spends a lot of time in your room it may not be the type of room for you. I do believe they have larger rooms available for a little bit more.
Drinks and snacks were offered free of charge in their small café located inside the office, which included coffee, juices, muffins, bagels, ect. The lady in the office was very nice although I didn't catch here name she would keep the snacks stocked up. They look like they are really trying to make a nicer place to stay.
I gave it four stars because of the value, on the beach, and Good service.

Orlando, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed here on Oct 3rd 2013 though the Oct 6th 2013 to attend a wedding, and was suppose to receive a 25% off my all ready reserved room because of problems when me and my sister stayed there on night prior. On arrival I was charge for the two rooms I booked. Upon checking in my brothers room was not ready and had plumbing problems and after 5 hours they moved him to another room. This room had electric problems and the ended up using an extinction cord to power the fridge and microwave. The next day around 1:00 PM I was told that I was not charged enough and owed over 100.00 more for the two rooms and if I did not like it check out was at 11:00. We had a party to attend in a couple of hours and the next day a wedding and I did not think moving to another hotel was the best thing I should do at the time and went ahead and paid the charges. The next day while taking a shower the ceiling tile came down on me. When I went and showed them the tile they said (don't tell me this feel on you) I said yes it did on my head. All they said was sorry did not even ask if I was ok although I was It could of been a lot worse. As I needed to get to the wedding I did not pursue the issue. On returning to my room that night I found they did not even repair the problem and scene they close at 11:00 no way to get them to, so no shower that night or the next morning. On checking out they asked if I was going to book a room for the 4th of July which really truly surprise me, I just simply said no would never stay here again and, she ask (Oh is that because of what happened to you?) Please do not stay here they charge you and get you into a room then latter tell you that you have to pay more, tiles fall on your head, broken sidewalks, electric that does not work including outside lighting, locks on doors broken, Hand rail going up the stairs to the second floor is way too short because they did not take that into consideration when they added brick to the steps, they also had water issues where they shut it off on us several times during our stay. And to top things off they have someone standing outside with a sign offering to let them use the pool for $10:00 a day (never in my life have I seen this).

Room Tip: This Hotel Has Changed it Name to Treasure Island Ocean Club.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Owner at Treasure Island Ocean Club, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
As the owners of the Treasure Island Ocean Club we are focused on providing a safe, comfortable, convenient, value based property for all future guests to enjoy. Since purchasing the hotel, it has undergone a major renovation to exterior, public areas, and all rooms. As with any renovation there will be issues that arise and to ensure all of our future guests never have a similar experience we have reached out to this reviewer to better understand their experience and to work towards fixing any outstanding issues. It is important to note that the ‘parking sign guy’ is there to offer parking for those going to beach that are not guests of our hotel. All guests who stay with us are able to park for free and enjoy all public areas of our hotel, including the pool, for free. Guest feedback is important to us as with their help we will be able to continue to provide a clean, comfortable, and customer centric hotel experience for all of our future guests.
Bangor, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My "usual" room was not available due to refurbishing, so I was given a room with a bedroom. All three rooms, the living/dining, bathroom, and bedroom had a gulf view. Really nice! I will be back! I did notice on another review that it had been sold...I hope the new owners are as nice and as accommodating as the former ones.
Thanks again, Trail's End

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Treasure Island Ocean Club? Share your experiences!