I almost hate to give this place a good review because once others discover this hidden gem, the prices will go up. :-) But since that wouldn't be fair, I will give an honest review.
I originally found TIOC by literally pulling up Google maps, and looking up and down the coast to see what hotels took dogs. We have two small dogs and were unable to get the dogsitter for the weekend so had to find a place that would allow us to have them. I called and spoke with "Crystal" the front desk manager. She was completely candid about the fact that the hotel was undergoing renovations and that there were numbers of rooms that were not completed and things that still remained to be finished.
Upon our arrival (we arrived late on Friday night) we were met by Heather who allowed me to see the room prior to check in to ensure that I was happy with it. The room was EXTREMELY clean with new bedding, mattresses, carpet and furniture.
To echo some of the other reviews and share some positive comments:
• yes, the bathroom was older, but that is part of the charm;
• yes, the shower is small and wouldn’t fit two people, but you have a whole Gulf in which to play with your partner, if you really want to play in the water;
• yes, it is a little walk to the Gulf, but even the big chain hotels are not right on the water. The distance is not that far …. my boyfriend carried a kayak the entire way ….down the stairs, across the grass, sand, etc. and I carried a cooler and beach bags….not sure what that complaint was all about. It is a beautiful and you can see the Gulf from the hotel;
• yes, the railings on the stairs are low which was a little scary carrying luggage up. It could be a problem for the elderly or someone who really needs to use a railing, but for us this was not an issue;
• our room had a king bed and a new flat screen TV, fridge and microwave and an old cedar closet – again quite charming;
• The office did have fresh baked scones and bagels and pre-packaged danishes and muffins. The scones were from a local bakery and were delicious (apparently these are brought every weekend).
• The pool has been resurfaced, re-paved around the outside and the landscaping is beautiful.
• The staff was excellent – very friendly and very honest about everything.
The only negative comments I have are as follows (in the order they bothered us) and as you will see, we weren’t bothered by much at all.
• The office is opened 7:30 or 8:00 am and closes at 11:00 pm. This is not an issue except we are heavy coffee drinkers and wake up very early. There were a few packs in the room but had I not thought to get some extra packets late Friday night when we checked in, we would not have had much coffee until the office opened. So plan to ask for extra if you are early risers and heavy coffee drinkers like we are.
• The carpet in the room is new and beautiful. However, being a beach hotel, there is sand that is always tracked in and out so I felt awful leaving sand on brand new carpet -- tile might have been a better choice for housekeeping, but the carpet is well done.
• I asked in advance when I made the reservation that someone come check the room upon our check-out (since we had the dogs, I wanted them to verify that there was no damage to the room before I left). Crystal had the head of housekeeping go to the room to check it. When she returned she asked if the dog had slept in the bed with us? I told her no, the dog does not sleep with us, but that while we were out of the room, I could not guarantee that the dog had not gotten up on the bed. She said, “well there is dog hair on the bed.” This surprised me because of the two dogs we have the one that does not shed is the only one that could even get on that bed. The other one is way too fat to jump up there. Anyway, I was a little surprised because a “dog friendly hotel” would certainly expect to have dog hair in the room. Well, Crystal did exactly what I would have expected and said, “That is not damage. Dog hair is to be expected, that's normal.” I am not sure if they have had guests with dogs before, and while it was a surprising comment, it turned out okay.
It was a delight to be welcomed by such a charming staff (Crystal, Heather and Heather’s aunt whose name I cannot recall), all of whom were completely accommodating and their hospitality made our stay simply fantastic.
So, overall experience….excellent!!! If you are Marriott/Ritz/Hilton people who need a concierge and room service, you may not appreciate the charm and beauty TIOC has to offer. This place is a diamond in the rough and again, I dread the day that they really get discovered and the prices go up. But until that time, we will continue to return and enjoy a beautifully renovated treasure on the island.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Otel, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Treasure Island Ocean Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Trails End Hotel Treasure Island
- Trails End Treasure Island
- Treasure Island Ocean Club Florida