“About what I expected.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of John's Pass Beach Motel and Apartments

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Treasure Island
John's Pass Beach Motel and Apartments
You added John's Pass Beach Motel and Apartments to your Saves list
12600 Gulf Boulevard, Treasure Island, FL 33706   |
Ranked #35 of 45 Hotels in Treasure Island
Dallas, Georgia
“About what I expected.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Sunday morning, July 7 I blurted out an idea of perhaps going to the beach for a long weekend to my youngest daughter and then I was obligated. I was stressed at first because I didn't want to spend a lot of money and I wanted to be on the beach and I wanted to be near shopping. That's not asking too much is it?

Anyway I called my "go-to" motel in Treasure Island Beach, FL that I've gone to before, Suncoast Motel (see review). But they couldn't get me in until Sunday, and I was going on Saturday and once I dock somewhere, I am NOT picking everything up and moving somewhere else after a day. So then I came across John's Pass Beach Motel. I wanted to go to John's Pass and my goal was to park my car when I arrived and NOT drive it again until I left.

After reading the reviews I was a bit skeptical, but after calling around to the surrounding lodging facilities I found this place to be much much less expensive and it was on the beach and directly across a bridge from John's Pass Village.

I know people have made comments about the Owner, but he is not from this country and after reading the negative reviews I decided to prepare myself a little on Polish culture and mannerisms. Basically, he is just "to the point and direct". He means no harm and he never got riled up on me. My room was not cleaned daily while I was there, but my garbage was taken out and my towels were replaced, and honestly I sort of like minimal intrusion.

The first morning we decided we would walk over the bridge and get coffee at this little coffee shop. Humidity and a bridge do not mix. And let me clarify, I am so out of shape so I'm sure it is entirely my fault. I basically drove the next two times we went and if you use the covered parking beside Bubba Gump Shrimp, it starts at 1.50 an hour and I never paid more than 3.00, so it was worth it. There is plenty of parking at Johns Pass Beach Motel, and funny enough we ended up with the same parking spot each time we left and came back.

The room is plenty roomy for two. We had an efficiency. No oven but everything else and I swear our tub was about the cleanest tub I have ever seen. Cleanliness was no issue, it's just entirely dated. There are grills outside if you want to use those. I can't remember but I think they were gas grills. Oh and we had a little screened in porch out the back door of our room. The pool area is OK. Its clean, but it would make a huge difference in perception if they would throw away the broken chairs, it just makes things look dumpy.

The walk to the beach is short and you are closer to the water here. The water in this part of Florida is so beautiful. If I came back to Treasure Island I would look into this motel again. It's just old Florida and dated, but again, the rates are so inexpensive so it's hard for me to fault.

At any rate, just be respectful and know that you are in this man's home and he is trying to make a living like anyone of us and don't take advantage and you will be just fine.

Room Tip: We had room #1. It was convenient. I didn't see any of the other rooms, but I liked our effici...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Four Oaks, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I don't know what everyone is talking about when they say this is some great place. The only great thing about it is the location and the short walk to the beach. I stayed here for a week and my room was not cleaned one time. I had to empty my own trash and take my dirty towels to the owner and ask him to exchange them for clean ones. If I am going to pay to stay I shouldn't have to do my own cleaning. My room was extremely small. There wasn't even a place to put my suitcases. I had to ask for a coffee pot which was supposed to be in the room. There is no exhaust fan in the bathroom and it takes awhile to get hot water, not that you want to get it to hot or you won't be able to see or breathe. No blankets, just a nasty thin comforter and a piece of ply wood between the mattress and box spring. Also, the gentleman who said don't invite friends to stop by to see you is absolutely telling the truth. I heard the owner ranting and raving at someone for doing that very thing while I was there. He was not just nasty about it..he was yelling his head off. There is also not enough parking so you better make sure he gives you your parking pass because if you don't have it in car where it can be seen you will be towed.

I won't be staying here ever again. I will definitely spring for something nicer next time. The pictures are deceiving. They must have been taken some time ago. If the owners hired some help I think this may be a better place to stay, but since they do everything themselves from the laundry to the yard work they just can't keep up.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is perfectly located right at the beach. It is so good to wake up at the beach in the morning. The hotel is situated next to the John's Pass Bay Bridge which makes the walk to the other side easy. The apartments are fulle equipped but a bit small. Also i felt the hygiene of the room could have been 100 times better. Honestly i felt so disgusting in the room. And that may also because the place can use some updating as well. Since the hygiene is so bad i would not recommend this hotel. Could be a lovely place though with some updating.

• Stayed June 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

In March, we stayed a few days at this somewhat ancient place on the water in a nice part of the Pinellas County beaches. Our experience was mixed at best.

The pluses: It is in a great location..one could walk to the John's Pass Boardwalk...home to a couple of good restaurants and a bunch of fun kitch. Even in the heart of the season, the rates were pretty good. It was clean, in general. There's a pretty large group of what seem to be regulars sitting around having a good time...good people and (the good part) quiet in the evening. Pool looks nice, but open, evidently, only on weekends. Maybe because it was chilly it wasn't open the first couple of days. The gulf is a short walk. The wi-fi works and is free.

The negatives: Well...it is pretty much an odd collection of rooms and little apartments. We had originally booked a room at a great rate, but once we got in, my wife felt a bit too claustrophobic. The room was tiny and cramped. We moved into a one bedroom apartment which was actually fine. We had to move the last day to another one, and that wasn't fine at all. Lots of stuff didn't work and things like coffee filters were missing. If you should get an apartment at the front of the motel, you'll be hearing traffic and revelry all night. At the back. all is well. The owner or manager is harried and sometimes hard to find.

All in all, the place is serviceable. There are no bedbugs. The fixtures are old, but they work. If you're looking for modern or up-to-date amenities, stay away. There are lots of huge hotels and apartments all along the beaches. If you don't mind "old Florida" style and some iffy amenities at good rates, you'll probably do ok there.

One piece of solid advice. Get apartment #5 if you can. It's second floor at the back. It has a view of the gulf and is away from the road, so it's plenty quiet.

Room Tip: One piece of solid advice. Get apartment #5 if you can. It's second floor at the back. It has a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Owner's are very friendly. We have been coming to this place for over 10 years, my kids practically grew up there ! Perfect location, right on the beach. Walking distance to everything you need. Owner's always ready to help you with open hands. Don't listen to the negative comments. Pool area is beautiful and perfect place to watch the sunset. Truly is paradise.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We are local and I purchased a stay here for my son's birthday (he's 25) He invited 3 friends to come hang out for the day to grill and hit the beach. (not to stay the night, just for the day) He was harassed by the owner all day about this and they were not being loud or obnoxious. My son finally got tired of being polite and asked him if it was against the rules to have friends visit during the day. Apparently it's not but, still wouldn't advise it if I were you. He said the room was nice but, the rude treatment from the owner was out of line and unnecessary.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel if you plan to spend time with any of your family or friends while you visi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Recently I spent three nights at John's Pass Beach Motel because every other motel I would haven chosen first were fully booked. I had read so scathing reviews along with some very good ones and decided I had no choice because my dates were not flexible. Thank goodness, I took a chance. The one bedroom apartment was clean and everything was in good condition. The pool was seldom used but was very clean and we enjoyed it very much. It is heated during the winter. Certainly not necessary when we were there in October. The biggest complaint has been about the owner/manager and I didn't see any bad behavior and rarely even spoke with him though he was constantly working outside. I have no doubt he is a big grump sometimes but I don't think it is anything personal or problem enough to stay away from a perfectly nice, clean and well located motel. We will certainly return in the Spring. Great experience.

Room Tip: Don't leave lights on when you are out, doors open when you are coming and going and keep the ap...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to John's Pass Beach Motel and Apartments? Share your experiences!