“Great place!” 5 of 5 stars

Whispers Resort at Treasure Island
279 104th Ave, Treasure Island, FL 33706   |
“Great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

I realy enjoyed my stay at whispers. It was very nice inside the unit I stayed in, unit number six. the bathroom was very clean and big! The bed was very comfortable and soft, I realy liked the heated pool and the view was was breathtaking in the morning from the dock. I do alot of fishing and was shocked how good the fishing was off the dock! The unit was very clean and the kitchen was very nice. Finding the place was very easy it is right off the main road but not to close as to keep me up at night with trafic noise. Free wifi was nice so I could get some work done as well. The best part was how close to the beach the place was, and publix was just down the street, every friday the lot next to publix has a great little flee market right next to the beach! The price was great and so was my stay at whispers! My only complaint was I couldnt stay longer.

• Stayed February 2013
jeffmsolomon, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thanks so much for your lovely email.

You are one of the first to APPRECIATE OUR NEW DOCK!

So glad you enjoyed it.
The old dock was in need of a much needed facelift - so we REBUILT THE DOCK FROM SCRATCH and the last lick of paint went on today March 11th. And it is a thing of beauty!
(We had to wait a couple of months before painting it - to give the wood a chance dry out first).

So we figured, seeing as the dock was new we better Christen it with NEW POOL SIDE FURNITURE. I got some gorgeous sling chairs and some NEW COLORFUL TABLE SIDE CHAIRS for around the pool patio and I hope to put updated pictures on my web site real soon.

Then we figured SOMETHING IS MISSING!

We put beautiful NEW ROPE LIGHTS all around the dock, ADDED NIGHT TIME LIGHTS AS WELL.

Then we still were not done, now we were on a tear, you see.

So we added NEW POOL PATIO FLOOD LIGHTS.

Next time you come back, you can do some night time fishing, and have a real good time BBQ - ing pool side.

Thanks again for your letter!

Jeffrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

first off I would like to say that after reading all of the terrible reviews I was pleasantly shocked when I arrive at whispers, the place has been updated with all new leather couches from American signature, brand new stoves are in the units the management Jeffrey and his wife Sharda are very lovely couple, anything me or my family needed they ran to our Aid, after reading complaints about the car wash across the street I found it quite convenient after a long drive thru bug infested woods, my kitchen has been completely updated with brand new cherry wood cabinetry and countertops, the bathrooms are not at all what I've read on the reviews they are not bad at all. the doc is brand new and has a fish cleaning table and electric out there for when I caught fish I could fill a them right on the spot, the pool has a heat pump on it which made it very nice the water coming out of it was like bath water!!! I also love the fact that there was flat screen TVs in the living room and bedroom, and the price you can't beat it, I stayed for a very reasonable rate and have plenty of money left over to do some shopping at some of the great stores in John's Pass, if you stay here you must try the Floridian Cuban which is a sandwich shop just a few yards from the entrance of whispers. like I said earlier after reading all of the terrible horrible reviews I was completely shocked to find just the opposite! I had a great time and I must thank the family of Sharda and Jeffrey for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed January 2013
jeffmsolomon, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review.

We are continually working on Whispers and raising our standards and it is wonderful to see that our hard work is being noticed!
We have completed extensive renovations this year. It is a work in progress.

As you may know, Whispers is a Heritage Florida Property, - it is a labor of love.
Most of the traditional Florida Inns have been knocked down and replaced with McCondos - those soulless fortress like condos that stare out at the road with blank windows and stand empty 6 months of the year.

During the building boom we resisted selling our little, traditional resort to developers, in spite of magnificent offers to sell out.
Whispers has preserved the real Florida of your parents and grand parents era.
A complete change form the chrome and glass hotel chains with a token palm tree in front.

That is the experience we offer. It is quite unique.

Currently we are replacing our A/C's as needed. We are moving to the European style of individual zoned air handlers where you can control the climate in each room individually.

This is a rather new concept in the USA and it is very expensive. We are doing one unit at a time and will complete it over the next few months, after the Spring Break rush.
Currently we are 100% full for the next couple of months. We have to wait for the right moment.

I am delighted that you found us and that you liked what you saw.

Being unique, preserving history and meeting your expectations takes a lot of work : )

But we love it!

Warm Wishes

Jeffrey and Sharda
Kilkenny, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

It's been a long time since I booked Whispers - seven years actually. Since then, I got rich and started staying in the Don César if I wanted to be in St. Pete Beach.

But since I last visited the area, Ireland's economy has apparently been lost on a three legged horse and so if I want to visit St. Pete Beach, I have to accept that there will not be a mint on my turned down bed.

Which isn't to say that I'm booking Whispers because getting four people from Ireland to Florida and two more down from Massachusetts is a pretty big undertaking, even before you buy a six pack to sit on the dock with while you fish.

But if I can manage it, I will. I know that we'll be a bit cramped - if things go well, we might stretch to two units. But if we don't that'll be fine because we are not going all that way to have mints on our pillows. We are schlepping all that way to be together for once in a blue moon and Whispers is a perfect place in which to do it.

Clean? Check. Bit old, but who isn't?
Aircon? Check - bit noisy, but skull a few more beers and you won't notice it as you fall asleep.
Pool? Check - had it all to ourselves and threw my daughter in in her thirteenth birthday dress.
Affordable? That's pretty much the whole point of it.
Private? We had the whole place to ourselves for two weeks in August 2005. Of course, if I'd had any sense, I'd have done some sort of deal with the owner to get another unit for a rate but as we were in the middle of blending two families into one, being on top of each other was actually a bonus.
Fun? That's the other whole point of it - ask any of our children and they will tell you that Whispers is where two families became one. And it didn't matter that the towels were in ten different patterns or that the sheets a bit old. All that mattered was that two people with limited resources took their children on a vacation that all of them call the one of the best two ever.

All I can tell you is that the night we showed up, my son and his new stepmother stayed out on that dock talking until dawn. And that I lost a brand new Swiss Army knife off that dock. And that my wife learned to fish off that dock. And my son and I shared his first beer on that dock. I smoked a lot of decent cigars on that dock. And that I sat on that dock and decided to quit my job and finally try to be a full time artist. And we saw dolphins off that dock. That's a decent haul of memories from one dock and one two week vacation.

And that is what vacations are supposed to be about right?

I don't know when I will be back but I will be back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
You have a gift for writing!

Being that you are Irish that does not surprise me.
My favorite literature is Irish, I have loved Dylan Thomas since I was a teenager and Frank McCourt (Angelas Ashes) is a wonderful author.

I am delighted that you created so many wonderful memories with your family and that you bonded with our dock.

We had just completely rebuilt the dock around the time that you came. And as you know how large it is, it was quite an undertaking.
I have since added a fillet table to the dock, water and lighting. It is ready for fisherman and boaters to enjoy.

Currently we have replaced the stoves in many of the condos, built new kitchens, painted all the units and have new bedding and new living room furniture in many of them and will be replacing more furniture in the next few weeks.

I have just added a large deck to the Executive House as well.
Also I have just built a new privacy fence around the pool deck, and we have lovely new pool furniture on the way.
We have just installed gorgeous new flooring in the bedrooms of the Executive House. It is looking lovely.

I do agree with you that we offer really great value for money.

And Like you said, if you just want to have a really relaxing family vacation, all it takes is a good attitude, a good cigar, and a loving family and you can make memories that last a life time!

Next time you come Whispers will be looking lovelier than ever!

Warm regards

Jeffrey Solomon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

As a stay at home mom I was more than ready for a weekend get away with my husband, it being the first time in a very long time. However, I booked Whispers and was a tad bit nervous after reading some of the reviews on here. After all I wanted this to be a weekend of relaxation and one we desperately needed. Well I can honestly say I was more than relieved when we arrived, our room was so welcoming, we never felt like we were just hotel guest. Whispers was a home away from home. It was so quiet and peaceful (just what we needed) the garden is spectacular, the view on the dock was amazing and our room was everything we had hoped for. My husband and I had such a wonderful time we are already planning another trip and will absolutely be coming back to Whispers.

• Stayed August 2012
jeffmsolomon, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Hi,

Thank you so much for your kind review!

We have just completed our remodeling of the condominiums, having installed new kitchen cabinets and a complete facelift.

Sharda and I are delighted that our efforts are appreciate - especially Sharda who did all the design work, and who enlisted me for the heavy listing!

Warm regards and hoping to see you soon!

Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had a perfect 2-week stay at the Whispers-Resort. I stayed with my 7-year-old daughter in one of the appartements. In the mornings and evenings we were able to see the dolphins swim by, right in front of the resort, which was absolutely amazing. The location was beautiful and very peaceful. The appartement was good in size, clean and had everything we needed (the bathroom is a bit small). We were mostly 'running' around and just stayed in the appartement from the late afternoon. It is perfect for families, who like to explore the area and are not looking for a 5-star-hotel. There were tons of things to do, just short car rides away (Johns Pass is a 2 min ride, Tampa Zoo 40 min, Florida Aquarium 40 min, Mote research center 30 min etc.) My daughter enjoyed the pool very much and the fishing right on the peer of the resort. The sandy white beach is just a short walk of about 10 minutes away, as well as a big grocery store. There are restaurants and shops nearby (walking distance). The price-performance ratio was very good and I don't understand the bad ratings at all.

We want to thank the landlords, Jeffery and Sharda, for their hospitality and we were very impressed with their passion for the resort! To us they were more than just hosts! Thank you so much for everything!
Franziska & Hannah F.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
jeffmsolomon, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thanks so much for your kind review, we are always doing our utmost to bring a very personal touch and to meet all our guests.

I wish you a wonderful Xmas!

Warm Regards

treasure island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

1 bedroom and a pull out sofa bed. Do not rent this unit if you have more then 2 people. Sofa bed is worn out. It is our first night here and I slept in my car as I guess I will have to do the rest of the week too. Way to expensive for sleeping in the parking lot. Other then that not bad , pool and dock area needs cleaned up but pretty nice.

Room Tip: Good price if you dont have to use the sofa bed.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
jeffmsolomon, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Friends,

I am astonished to see this here. It is the first I have heard of this. It is rather bizarre in my experience.

I am completely baffled why they did not contact me.. That is the logical thing for someone to do. I keep air mattresses as well and they could have had one. On top of a pull out sofa, or on the floor it is quite comfortable. Like a Sleep Number Bed, you can set your level of comfort.

I cannot imagine that they slept in their car let alone that the car was more comfortable than a sofa.
One could sleep on the sofa rather than in a car and be more comfortable.

If they had a problem and choose not tell me about it, how can I help them?

I will say this about my sofa beds, they are not old.
I recommend them for small children. I do not recommend them for large adults or for a couple of adults because of the necessity of having a thin, fold up mattress.
The mattress is designed to fold up and the fact is that the base is a collapsible spring base like a trampoline that also folds up. in the comfort department they are not idea. This is true for all sleeper sofas.

An adult should consider a pull out sofa if they are seeking to save money on lodging, and are willing to put up with some level of discomfort for the sake of price. And especially if they dont mind this sleeping on a pull out sofa. They are not for everybody.

Having said all that, I am certain that this person did not sleep in their car. And if they did without telling me, it is unfortunate because I could have helped them.

Sincerely

Jeffrey Solomon
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

The arrival to Florida started off a bit topsy turvy as the airline lost our luggage. We arrived at whispers resort with a lot of stress and panic. The property owner was there to greet us and show us around the property, which I have to say, is the perfect getaway from all the fast paced NYC life. I had told him about our problems at the airport and without even thinking about it he took my information and insured us he would take care of it and to start enjoying our vacation. Easier said then done. Sure enough he had tracked down and organized our luggage to be delivered to us. We stayed there with a great sense of being taken care of and letting go of stress. The room was very clean and everything was provided for us. I highly recommend this place. Best bang for your buck hands down and the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. Calm waters and talc powder like sand. I can’t wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
jeffmsolomon, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Dear Seth,

I am happy to have helped you.

I also appreciate your kind comments.

We feel that it is only small and caring mom and pop places like ours that can give the kind of personal attention that we do.

I am glad that you were able to chill out and relax as soon as you got here and that we could help to make that happen for you.

Best wishes

Jeff and Sharda

Been to Whispers Resort at Treasure Island? Share your experiences!