“You get what you pay for.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Whispers Resort at Treasure Island to your Saves list
Whispers Resort at Treasure Island
279 104th Ave, Treasure Island, FL 33706   |
Kilkenny, Ireland
“You get what you pay for.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

It's been a long time since I booked Whispers - seven years actually. Since then, I got rich and started staying in the Don César if I wanted to be in St. Pete Beach.

But since I last visited the area, Ireland's economy has apparently been lost on a three legged horse and so if I want to visit St. Pete Beach, I have to accept that there will not be a mint on my turned down bed.

Which isn't to say that I'm booking Whispers because getting four people from Ireland to Florida and two more down from Massachusetts is a pretty big undertaking, even before you buy a six pack to sit on the dock with while you fish.

But if I can manage it, I will. I know that we'll be a bit cramped - if things go well, we might stretch to two units. But if we don't that'll be fine because we are not going all that way to have mints on our pillows. We are schlepping all that way to be together for once in a blue moon and Whispers is a perfect place in which to do it.

Clean? Check. Bit old, but who isn't?
Aircon? Check - bit noisy, but skull a few more beers and you won't notice it as you fall asleep.
Pool? Check - had it all to ourselves and threw my daughter in in her thirteenth birthday dress.
Affordable? That's pretty much the whole point of it.
Private? We had the whole place to ourselves for two weeks in August 2005. Of course, if I'd had any sense, I'd have done some sort of deal with the owner to get another unit for a rate but as we were in the middle of blending two families into one, being on top of each other was actually a bonus.
Fun? That's the other whole point of it - ask any of our children and they will tell you that Whispers is where two families became one. And it didn't matter that the towels were in ten different patterns or that the sheets a bit old. All that mattered was that two people with limited resources took their children on a vacation that all of them call the one of the best two ever.

All I can tell you is that the night we showed up, my son and his new stepmother stayed out on that dock talking until dawn. And that I lost a brand new Swiss Army knife off that dock. And that my wife learned to fish off that dock. And my son and I shared his first beer on that dock. I smoked a lot of decent cigars on that dock. And that I sat on that dock and decided to quit my job and finally try to be a full time artist. And we saw dolphins off that dock. That's a decent haul of memories from one dock and one two week vacation.

And that is what vacations are supposed to be about right?

I don't know when I will be back but I will be back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
jeffmsolomon, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
You have a gift for writing!

Being that you are Irish that does not surprise me.
My favorite literature is Irish, I have loved Dylan Thomas since I was a teenager and Frank McCourt (Angelas Ashes) is a wonderful author.

I am delighted that you created so many wonderful memories with your family and that you bonded with our dock.

We had just completely rebuilt the dock around the time that you came. And as you know how large it is, it was quite an undertaking.
I have since added a fillet table to the dock, water and lighting. It is ready for fisherman and boaters to enjoy.

Currently we have replaced the stoves in many of the condos, built new kitchens, painted all the units and have new bedding and new living room furniture in many of them and will be replacing more furniture in the next few weeks.

I have just added a large deck to the Executive House as well.
Also I have just built a new privacy fence around the pool deck, and we have lovely new pool furniture on the way.
We have just installed gorgeous new flooring in the bedrooms of the Executive House. It is looking lovely.

I do agree with you that we offer really great value for money.

And Like you said, if you just want to have a really relaxing family vacation, all it takes is a good attitude, a good cigar, and a loving family and you can make memories that last a life time!

Next time you come Whispers will be looking lovelier than ever!

Warm regards

Jeffrey Solomon

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

As a stay at home mom I was more than ready for a weekend get away with my husband, it being the first time in a very long time. However, I booked Whispers and was a tad bit nervous after reading some of the reviews on here. After all I wanted this to be a weekend of relaxation and one we desperately needed. Well I can honestly say I was more than relieved when we arrived, our room was so welcoming, we never felt like we were just hotel guest. Whispers was a home away from home. It was so quiet and peaceful (just what we needed) the garden is spectacular, the view on the dock was amazing and our room was everything we had hoped for. My husband and I had such a wonderful time we are already planning another trip and will absolutely be coming back to Whispers.

• Stayed August 2012
jeffmsolomon, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Hi,

Thank you so much for your kind review!

We have just completed our remodeling of the condominiums, having installed new kitchen cabinets and a complete facelift.

Sharda and I are delighted that our efforts are appreciate - especially Sharda who did all the design work, and who enlisted me for the heavy listing!

Warm regards and hoping to see you soon!

Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had a perfect 2-week stay at the Whispers-Resort. I stayed with my 7-year-old daughter in one of the appartements. In the mornings and evenings we were able to see the dolphins swim by, right in front of the resort, which was absolutely amazing. The location was beautiful and very peaceful. The appartement was good in size, clean and had everything we needed (the bathroom is a bit small). We were mostly 'running' around and just stayed in the appartement from the late afternoon. It is perfect for families, who like to explore the area and are not looking for a 5-star-hotel. There were tons of things to do, just short car rides away (Johns Pass is a 2 min ride, Tampa Zoo 40 min, Florida Aquarium 40 min, Mote research center 30 min etc.) My daughter enjoyed the pool very much and the fishing right on the peer of the resort. The sandy white beach is just a short walk of about 10 minutes away, as well as a big grocery store. There are restaurants and shops nearby (walking distance). The price-performance ratio was very good and I don't understand the bad ratings at all.

We want to thank the landlords, Jeffery and Sharda, for their hospitality and we were very impressed with their passion for the resort! To us they were more than just hosts! Thank you so much for everything!
Franziska & Hannah F.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
jeffmsolomon, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thanks so much for your kind review, we are always doing our utmost to bring a very personal touch and to meet all our guests.

I wish you a wonderful Xmas!

Warm Regards

treasure island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

1 bedroom and a pull out sofa bed. Do not rent this unit if you have more then 2 people. Sofa bed is worn out. It is our first night here and I slept in my car as I guess I will have to do the rest of the week too. Way to expensive for sleeping in the parking lot. Other then that not bad , pool and dock area needs cleaned up but pretty nice.

Room Tip: Good price if you dont have to use the sofa bed.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
jeffmsolomon, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Friends,

I am astonished to see this here. It is the first I have heard of this. It is rather bizarre in my experience.

I am completely baffled why they did not contact me.. That is the logical thing for someone to do. I keep air mattresses as well and they could have had one. On top of a pull out sofa, or on the floor it is quite comfortable. Like a Sleep Number Bed, you can set your level of comfort.

I cannot imagine that they slept in their car let alone that the car was more comfortable than a sofa.
One could sleep on the sofa rather than in a car and be more comfortable.

If they had a problem and choose not tell me about it, how can I help them?

I will say this about my sofa beds, they are not old.
I recommend them for small children. I do not recommend them for large adults or for a couple of adults because of the necessity of having a thin, fold up mattress.
The mattress is designed to fold up and the fact is that the base is a collapsible spring base like a trampoline that also folds up. in the comfort department they are not idea. This is true for all sleeper sofas.

An adult should consider a pull out sofa if they are seeking to save money on lodging, and are willing to put up with some level of discomfort for the sake of price. And especially if they dont mind this sleeping on a pull out sofa. They are not for everybody.

Having said all that, I am certain that this person did not sleep in their car. And if they did without telling me, it is unfortunate because I could have helped them.

Sincerely

Jeffrey Solomon
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

The arrival to Florida started off a bit topsy turvy as the airline lost our luggage. We arrived at whispers resort with a lot of stress and panic. The property owner was there to greet us and show us around the property, which I have to say, is the perfect getaway from all the fast paced NYC life. I had told him about our problems at the airport and without even thinking about it he took my information and insured us he would take care of it and to start enjoying our vacation. Easier said then done. Sure enough he had tracked down and organized our luggage to be delivered to us. We stayed there with a great sense of being taken care of and letting go of stress. The room was very clean and everything was provided for us. I highly recommend this place. Best bang for your buck hands down and the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. Calm waters and talc powder like sand. I can’t wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
jeffmsolomon, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Dear Seth,

I am happy to have helped you.

I also appreciate your kind comments.

We feel that it is only small and caring mom and pop places like ours that can give the kind of personal attention that we do.

I am glad that you were able to chill out and relax as soon as you got here and that we could help to make that happen for you.

Best wishes

Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Mind over Matter...If you don't mind , it doesn't matter. Whispers is a place that is somewhat outdated if you compare it to the pristine marble condos built today. We found that there were many things that outweigh the glamer of the new condos here. If you can ignore lose door handles, broken light switches and older plumbing and enjoy the great garden, excellant location, waterfront dock and private santuary then you will enjoy Whispers. Our bed was a bit saggy and the couch uncomfortable but the place was clean and well stocked with whatever you need to live . PET friendly too. Would I return....yes .

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
jeffmsolomon, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Hi Joseph,

Thanks so much for your kind comments.

We do keep close to our "raison d'etre" our reason to be, our mission statement.

Whispers is a 50's / 60"s original and a bit of Florida heritage.

Sharda and I resisted the developers through the "McCondo's" boom in Florida.

We could have sold out for a couple of million bucks but we have a higher goal, to preserve our local history and the authenticity of a traditional Florida Experience for future generations.

We like to say that Whispers is Bee Wop a Doo from a more innocent time of the corner drug store and before cookie cutter motels mushroomed across the landscape.

The garden is a labor of love. Twelve years ago when we took over the property it was a paved over concrete sterile thing. We replaced it with loads of tropical plants, bushes, trees and palms and today we have a REAL Florida tropical garden full of ferns, ginger, bamboo, palms and real avocado and mango trees. Lush and thriving.

We are always looking for ways to improve and if that means a harder or a softer mattress, just let me know.

We have genuine feather beds that are very comfortable, but there are those that like a real hard sleep and we can switch it out for you.
If there ANYTHING that will make your stay better and more comfortable we will do it.

JUST ASK!

All the plumbing and electric was replaced a couple of years ago when we renovated the condos, and installed a new pool.

Have a great summer,

Jeff
Kansas City, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I was saddened to see the bad reviews and had to comment, my family of 4 stayed here a couple of years ago we were looking for "affordable with a kitchen and a comfortable bed within walking distance to the beach" we got all that and more the tropical landscaping they have done is very pretty lighted up at night and we had a small private patio to relax, the kitchen worked for our needs, the furniture was not fancy in any way, so what, the beach is so close who cares about the couch, all in all, for the price of staying in a super 8 you get a comfy little place to call home for your vacation, if you expect fancy please feel free to pay more, lots more, its treasure island after all!! My only suggestion is some pool heat Jeff, in june the pool is too cold to use unless you are 10 and dont care if y6our lips are blue!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thanks so much for your review.

Our goal is to preserve and provide an authentic Florida Vacation from the "Good ol' Days" when many of us came to Florida with our parents.

When we packed up the family in the old "woodie" station wagon and headed south.

The developers were right on our heels begging us with cash offers so that they could tear us down.
So much of Treasure Island is gone and we are delighted to keep a unique and authentic bit of real Florida.

Every condo has a unique theme, such as Africa, England, the Orient etc, because these are places that we have lived or have loved.
And Florida is nothing if not eclectic!

We hope you love it as much as we do!

Thanks so much for writing in!

Jeff