It's been a long time since I booked Whispers - seven years actually. Since then, I got rich and started staying in the Don César if I wanted to be in St. Pete Beach.
But since I last visited the area, Ireland's economy has apparently been lost on a three legged horse and so if I want to visit St. Pete Beach, I have to accept that there will not be a mint on my turned down bed.
Which isn't to say that I'm booking Whispers because getting four people from Ireland to Florida and two more down from Massachusetts is a pretty big undertaking, even before you buy a six pack to sit on the dock with while you fish.
But if I can manage it, I will. I know that we'll be a bit cramped - if things go well, we might stretch to two units. But if we don't that'll be fine because we are not going all that way to have mints on our pillows. We are schlepping all that way to be together for once in a blue moon and Whispers is a perfect place in which to do it.
Clean? Check. Bit old, but who isn't?
Aircon? Check - bit noisy, but skull a few more beers and you won't notice it as you fall asleep.
Pool? Check - had it all to ourselves and threw my daughter in in her thirteenth birthday dress.
Affordable? That's pretty much the whole point of it.
Private? We had the whole place to ourselves for two weeks in August 2005. Of course, if I'd had any sense, I'd have done some sort of deal with the owner to get another unit for a rate but as we were in the middle of blending two families into one, being on top of each other was actually a bonus.
Fun? That's the other whole point of it - ask any of our children and they will tell you that Whispers is where two families became one. And it didn't matter that the towels were in ten different patterns or that the sheets a bit old. All that mattered was that two people with limited resources took their children on a vacation that all of them call the one of the best two ever.
All I can tell you is that the night we showed up, my son and his new stepmother stayed out on that dock talking until dawn. And that I lost a brand new Swiss Army knife off that dock. And that my wife learned to fish off that dock. And my son and I shared his first beer on that dock. I smoked a lot of decent cigars on that dock. And that I sat on that dock and decided to quit my job and finally try to be a full time artist. And we saw dolphins off that dock. That's a decent haul of memories from one dock and one two week vacation.
And that is what vacations are supposed to be about right?
I don't know when I will be back but I will be back.
- Also Known As:
- Whispers Resort At Treasure Island Hotel Treasure Island
- Whispers Resort At Treasure Island Hotel
- Whispers Resort At Treasure Island Florida
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bright and Cheerful Unique Themed Decor Boutique Resort.......Your choice of One and Two Bedroom Condominiums Plus a 3 Bedroom House!.....Fabulous waterfront location in the heart of Treasure Island..... *** Close to Shops, Dining, Supermarket, Water Sports, Beach Trolley.....This Unique Heritage Property has been Updated in Fall 2012..... *** Full Kitchens with full size Appliances, Stove, Microwave, Fridge. *** All Appliances, Cookware, Dinnerware included. *** Iron, Hair Dryer, Linens, Beach Towels. *** Tiled throughout *** Large Size Feather Beds offer a Luxurious Sleeping Experience. *** Pull Out Sofas in Living Room *** Free Wi Fi *** Free Cable 70+ Channels *** Large Flat Screen TV's *** DVD Player, Stereo System *** All Ground Floor Suites with Private Patios..... Water Front with Lush Tropical Gardens....... *** Heated Pool *** Large Fishing Dock *** Bay Front *** Dolphin Watching *** Boat Mooring *** BBQ *** Very Private and Secluded. *** Fully Fenced. Children and Pets Welcome. *** Free Parking.......Beach Access take your car or a short six minute walk....... *** Close to Historic Johns Pass Village - 1 mile *** 20 minutes to Down Town St Petersburg and Tropicana Stadium *** 35 minutes to Tampa International Airport and Clearwater Airport *** 45 Minutes to Busch Gardens *** 45 Minutes to Hard Rock Casino *** 90 Minutes to Disney, Universal and Sea World. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Whispers Resort at Treasure Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.