“DO NOT BOOK HERE” 1 of 5 stars

279 104th Ave, Treasure Island, FL 33706   |
Dover, New Hampshire
“DO NOT BOOK HERE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

This is not a resort. Dirty, unkept, out dated......I could go on and on. We were very disapointed by Whispers on every level. The place is very old and has not been kept up. Walkways need to be dug up and replaced then maintained. Dirty and cracked. Fountains could be charmimg if painted and maintained. This is the theme through out Whispers, a quiant place that could be fabulous if only the owners put some money into it. The funriture in our unit was very old and tatered.Mismatched. Had to put a sheet over the couch to cover the old dingy cover which was on it. The chair and couch sat so low from being old that we had to put pillows in it. Stove was rusty and burners did not sit flat. Dishes were dirty and had to be washed before use.Toaster was rusted out as well as tea pot, could not use it to boil water. Other pans were worn out and unuseable too. Floors dirty, unit was bad.Towels were mismatched and STAINED! Bed was ofcourse old and sinking in the middle. So many pads on the bed that the bottom sheet did not stay put.The private patio outside the untit---I'd never want to sit out there, dirty as well. I could go on and on but I think you get the idea.
Pool was dirty, did not dare to go in it. Not only is there too much shrubbery but a huge rubber tree sits over the pool which means that leafs are always in the pool and walk ways. Floor of pool was dirty as well. Furniture around pool is old and ragged, not a pretty sight.
Location is by an busy intersection, Whispers is on a busy cross street that connects with the main street so the traffic noise is very loud, coupled with noisy neighbors in the building next door made for a far from quite retreat at Whispers.
Owners seemed like nice folks but do not put much into the property, Whispers needs a 100% renovation and THEN professional maintance.
So believe the negative reveiws that you read here, they are 100% true, do a drive by and a walk through and you'll get the true picture.
The positive is that Whispers is close to the beach and Publix.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
jeffmsolomon, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
It is unfortunate that a person can affect the livelihood of an owner without a thought as to what harm they are doing.

Sharda and I have put our heart and soul into Whispers and in keeping this property in balance, updated but still a 50's era traditional Florida resort.

Do we keep the original colored bathroom fittings and tiles that you cannot replace these days, or do we re-make the bathrooms with modern beige tiles from Home Depot?
These are the kind of decisions we continually make.
We opted for the first option.

Like a vintage car, you see fewer of them as time goes by.

Where one person sees a treasure another sees junk.

If a guest has an issue we do respond to it because we are very responsive to our guests comfort.

One guest, complained that the front door was rusted on the bottom where the door meets the ground.
We replaced the door right away!

As far as cleaning is concerned, we do it ourselves with the help of some wonderful gals who have been with us for years. if you do have an issue, if we did overlook anything, or if you need something special, just let us know and we will be there!

One guest liked cooking and she told me that she would love to have a certain type of roasting pan and other assorted types of cookware. Although she was only here for a week I went out and got her $100.00 worth of brand new cook ware!
(No charge of course).

Another lady had hurt her neck the week before coming to stay with us. She told me that she was in a lot of pain and discomfort and was not enjoying her stay.

I went out and bought her a medical neck brace.
(No charge of course).
It helped her to sleep and get around in greater comfort.

There is simply no excuse to complain and not seek solution, unless if you simply want to be vindictive or mean.

My policy is to take care of ANYTHING within my ability to do so, to make your stay a great one.

Jeff

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Macomb, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Whispers for 3 weeks recently and really enjoyed this charming escape. As soon as you walk through the front gate you feel that you've entered your own private tropical garden in the middle of a bustling beach community. Our condo was clean, comfortable and well equipped for our needs. The beach, great restaurants and grocery store were only a short walk away. I recommend Whispers to anyone who is looking for the quiet charm of "old Florida". We really felt at home and look forward to returning again in the future.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
jeffmsolomon, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Dear Angela,

Thanks so much for your kind comments, it is certainly a pleasure to have met you all.

I appreciate your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back.

By the way, the mango trees are in full bloom right now and we hope to have a good crop to share with our guests!

Best wishes to you,

Sharda.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We had a pleasant Labor day weekend 2011 stay and found a very clean and updated 2 room villa. They only have 6 units for rent and are near Gulf Blvd. with shopping and restaurants galore. We would recommend it if you like peace quiet and simple pleasures like dolphins swimming in the harbor off your deck. All the appliances and amenities were new and clean. The paint was fresh with bright tile floors.We saw 4 different units and all were like the photos on their web site.I don't know what the negative comments are about unless you are expecting a 5 star resort with a chocolate candy mint on your pillow every night...If you are, then book at the Hilton. Yes you do have to make your own bed and wash your dishes everyday. plenty of towels and other items are supplied. We met the owner who was a very pleasant person who loved our dogs.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Hi Bob,

I want to thank you for your kind comments and it made me think.

I reckon there are some people, admittedly in the minority, that do think we should "put a mint on the pillow".

So this might be a good opportunity to remind folks of what you reminded me... namely... that this is a SELF CATERING vacation.

When you rent a condo from us, you can have as many guests stay with you in the condo as the condo rules allow.

A family of four pays no extra for the 3rd and 4th person, unlike a hotel that charges per additional guest.

I reckon that's worth foregoing a mint on the pillow!

Best wishes

Jeff
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

A great place to escape impersonal high rises and connect with fellow travellers. The olde-world charm is what Whispers is about, and reminded me of Balinese villa- style accommodation - tropical, friendly.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Whispers - it proved to be the tonic I needed & particularly enjoyed watching the sun set over the water in the evenings & having sundowners poolside (without waiters to impose on my privacy).
A great place to chill out!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Hi,

We dont get a whole lot of visitors from down under.

But when we do they are always first class folks who get along well and have a natural easy way about them.

We hope that you will come back for "sundowners" (cocktails for the rest of us) pool side.

Best wishes and thanks for the lovely review.

Sharda.
corpus christi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

This place is misrepresented on the web site. It is filthy and a awful place to stay. As soon as we arrived I called Jeffery to complain and ask for our money back, which he refused. He stated that he did not misrepresent the property because he called it "Old Florida Style". And I was the only one whoever complained.

I can not even begin to explain all the problems with this property, so I will just hit the highlights: dried Dip spit in the coffee cups, worn out filthy bedding with holes, we had to physically remove the tank lid to the toilet to flush it because it was so old and everything in the unit was most likely collected from garage sale or the side of the road. One night I woke up to the sound of a rat, I could not even look knowing that most likely it was there.

Please do not just think I am a "picky" person and am complaining just to complain. Please research this man,s properties and see what others have to say before you get scammed also.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Traverse City, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

The web site set up was a lie. The furniture was changed from the web site. Its like a trip to GoodWill. Nothing was as it was in the website. They take your money first. So you are stuck and screwed. Take bleach and lysol, or buy it as we did at the nearby Publix. At least they sent nice plumbers the same day to fix the bloody filth coming up the bath tub when the toilet flushed (handle does not work). They said the plumbing is interconnected. I have photos to prove all of this. If I get photos on this computer, I will add them later.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Anderson, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

Whisper's Resort is NOT accurately described in their website. We've vacationed all over Florida for over 30 yrs, this being our first family Christmas in Fla.
The first day, my husband showered and was standing in 3 inches of water. He looked at the drain and pulled out a wad of hair about the size of a golf ball. Water barely came out of all shower heads, they had to be cleaned by my son; refrigerator had missing shelves; broken lounge chairs outside; the head board in master bedroom was broken and detached, plus we had torn sheets and no top sheet; the cd player did not work; toaster didn't work; swimming pool was NOT heated although advertised as being so. Dishes had to be washed before using. You may wonder why we didn't call Jeffrey or his wife, Sharda..... well, it's Christmas eve and Christmas day..... a day we wanted to spend as a family with celebrations; I told them both, I would have been calling them every hour but really didn't want them coming to our place the entire day!!

We found dead palmetto bugs in a drawer and in a kitchen cabinet. I told Jeffrey, "I can't expect you to be responsible for live bugs, but I certainly expect you to clean out the dead ones before we arrive!"

We found mouse droppings in the kitchen cabinets. The dishwasher was so clogged with lime, when on wash cycle, the soap was getting blown around without any water able to come out!! All dishes and utensils were covered in white powder and had to be hand washed before we wanted to use them!

You receive about an 18 page contract and you must pay the full amount three months in advance. I have NEVER experienced this.... we've always paid balance of bill on arrival.

We spoke with three couples staying during our last week.... each one was unhappy with their rooms, and stated to us that they were happy they were only booked for a few nights and would never return.

The carpets were not clean in the bedrooms. My son went to vacuum, and found the sweeper bag totally clogged with mounds of dirt. He filled up the waste can, cleaning it, before he could vacuum.

I had read the bad reviews which I discovered from the people renting in October, but by that time, the final payment had been made. I told Jeffrey, the owner, of the bad reviews, he denied them..... I said I needed to hear from him that this wasn't true, and he said it was an unusual customer yada yada. .. After the first day, I knew I had been had. His denials just added insult to injury.
At best if you stay here, it's worth about 1/2 of what they charge..... for ANY of the rooms.

The area is absolutely wonderful. Can walk to beach, restaurants, grocery, liquer stores. A great flea market every Friday. Churches nearby. There are lots of other places to stay at a cheaper rate than what we had to pay..... we benefit nothing by writing this.... you on the other hand, could! These people need to clean, deep clean, update, buy new furniture,(when we sat down on the sleeper sofa in #7 our bottoms nearly touched the floor) and a new dish washer..... We paid over $2,200 for 1 week in the big house, rented time in a smaller unit that they claimed would sleep 6 and were forced to rent another room for the other two.people..... not worth it.
Learn from our mistakes.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Whispers Resort at Treasure Island? Share your experiences!