“Location beats comfort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Riotel Island Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Treasure Island
Riotel Island Resort
You added Riotel Island Resort to your Saves list
11325 Gulf Blvd, Treasure Island, FL   |
Halifax, Canada
“Location beats comfort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

It's been a while since my wife and I stayed here, but I thought it would be a good idea to at least leave a review. I had Trip Advisor add this hotel to their website so that I could leave the review.

When searching for places to stay in Treasure Island we found this hotel in a local free print paper at home. We could not find anything in terms of online information about the hotel. Not even the Riotel website provided too much information about the hotel, All we had was Google Street pictures and a friend swung by to tell us about it when they visited Florida. So we took the risk as we only wanted a place to put our heads for a couple days before heading to Bradenton and then Orlando.

The hotel appears to have been an old apartment building at one time. The owner is a fellow Canadian that stays in Florida a majority of the year. A really nice gentleman from our encounters with him. Communication was easy when booking the hotel and the price was fantastic. I believe we only paid $60 a night based on the time of year (first week of May).

There is a few parking spots out front, but it's tight being on top of the sidewalk and then it can get tricky getting out when the traffic is heavy. There is a set of lights near by that gives you windows to get out.

The court yard is well taken care of. Probably where a lot of investment is put in the property. There are a couple ponds with fish in them, coy fish I believe. The pool is located in the back near the canal. It wasn't the most inviting part of the property. Very old tile and looked dirty in some spots of the pool. My wife and I didn't bother taking a dip.

Our ground level room was very standard. The single queen size bed consisted of an older mattress and box spring. Sheets were older as well. I found it very uncomfortable to be honest. But I realize at $60 a night, this was not a 4 star + stay.

The bathroom consisted of older tiling and tub. The shower head needed to be replaced as you could see the build up around it. But I can say there was plenty of hot water when you needed it.

The hotel is located across the street from a large public access beach. Also, there are lots of other hotels and restaurants near by. Lots of food choices and dining types. There is not much for shopping. You'd have to go into Tampa or Ellenton to find malls and shops.

My recommendation is that if you are only staying a couple nights and need a budget place to stay then this is definitely a good hotel. If you are looking for a week or so, I would recommend looking into a summer rental that has a bit more comfort features.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)