“More than I'd hoped for, Better than I imagined!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Crystal Palms Beach Resort to your Saves list
Crystal Palms Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11605 Gulf Blvd., Treasure Island, FL 33706   |
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Treasure Island

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Apopka, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

A group of friends (women in 30's) have an annual trip to the west coast of Florida every April. This is our 11th year. It is something that we plan all year and look so forward to. These women are professional, successful people, every one of them. I called this resort after finding the photos online. I explained to the gentlemen on the phone that we had a large party (8 people) and would like to hear more about the penthouse suite. He explained that it was spacious enough to accomodate our large group and even gave me a better rate than I got online and included 2 roll away beds in our total. ( most resorts will comp. roll aways if asked) Before confirming our reservation (which, by the way was made months in advance) I made sure that we had gone through all of the charges I was to be charged. Everything seemed fine.

Upon our arrival we were checked in by Heather who seemed nice enough. She was even kind enough to get out her calculater to divide up the total by the eight people in our party to make sure each girl had an accurate dollar amount.. After a quick trip up on an elevator that smelled like cat urine, we were elated to see our penthouse suite. It was amazing!! We unpacked all of our luggage and groceries. ( this hotel has no lounge or rest. to eat) We went down to the pool to get some sun.

Our trip was 3 nights and as we were interacting with staff on property we began to realize that the staff was NASTY! Trina was among the WORST!! Example: the elevator was acting like is was going to crash to the ground several times when we looked at the inspection sticker and noticed that it was expired and read 11/08.. the current date was 4/09. We went to Trina to just bring it to her attention and that is when she began to treat us like something on the bottom of her shoe. Making snide remarks to us as we walked through the lobby. Even calling one of the women in our group "the old lady that is with you" (this woman was 40 years old.)

Fine, we were only there during the morning and afternoon hours, because there is NOTHING to do on that side of St. Pete Beach area and we took the trolley to the other side of the beach. We returned each night around 11 or 12. Nothing crazy.

We awoke on Sunday morning and began to pack our things for our trip home. We had already recieved our statement from the hotel stating that we had a zero balance. The balance when we arrived matched the balance we were told at the end of our stay. As we were walking out Trina came to us and said we had to give her another $90.00. We explained that we had already paid in full. (rememebr, we had an invoice showing the charges and that we had a zero balance.) She said that it was for the 2 roll away beds. No way. As we continued to try to explain that it was included she called us liars. I refused to pay the additional money. We explained that we were not going to recommend this hotel to anyone after the way we had been treated. She told us that she did not need recommendations from [---]. Wow. We obviously had words but it was brief.

The next day I saw that she had charged my Bank of America card over $300.00. I was beyond confused. How could they do this? When I called in Trina said that she was not going to talk to us and referred us to her hotel manager. Finally, I was going to get to straighten this out, right?!? NOPE! The charges on my card came through in random amounts. $33.33, $98.42, etc.... She told me that I was charged for the roll away beds and a broken nightstand drawer. The nightstand drawer was simply off the track, which we told the cleaning staff. Three days after we came home we began to realize that the hotel not only charged MY card but they began to charge the cards of other people in my party. Random crazy charges. One girl was told she was charged $125 for the SAME nightstand to be replaced and another $40 to repair the night stand. It is criminal. She refused to refund the money. I asked for her superior or the corporate office. She said no. THe only one above her was the owner and they are privately owned. She was not about to put me in touch with him.

I am in the proccess of fighting the charges with the help of Bank of America. We have also gotten an attorney and are in touch with Whistle blower organizations in the St Pete area. We are all 8 of us going to give reviews for this hotel on every site possible. In the end it will all be okay. We have clear documentation to support the facts.

I have NO IDEA how it all came to this. We made several attempts to get photos of this VERY expensive nightstand. We were told by the property manager that we would be able to see them. SHe will now not show them to us. We offered to drive back over to see it. We even said that if we had to pay all of this money for it... she should give it to us. I mean we own it now, right? NOpe.

So after having to cancel our credit cards and have them reissued with different numbers and all of the trouble we have gone through.... still no end in site. SAVE YOURSELF!!! DO not even step foot on the property of this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
llr0516, Manager at Crystal Palms Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 21, 2009
Crystal Palms Beach Resort will never charge you're credit card without notification. The above girls stayed in our penthouse suite and had 10 girls in the room. What they fail to tell you is that the charges were for two rollaways that we had to rent. It was not off the tracks the wood was split down the side. I checked with all of my staff and the incident was not reported. I can also assure you that my staff acted in a professional manner at all times. We made a lot of exceptions for this group. We could have charged them an additional 35 dollars per person per night for the additional 4 people in their room. We did not. All we expect is for payment of the rollaways which we had to rent and payment for our damaged property. We want everyone to have a good time while visiting our resort but there is never an excuse for property damages. The other letter that was written about this hotel on May 5th is also part of this group of guests.

Been to Crystal Palms Beach Resort? Share your experiences!